PDA

View Full Version : Motorbike Rental in Pattaya

1PR4BKK
December 9th, 2009, 11:42
Hi Guys:

Does anyone have an idea of where to rent a decent motorbike in Pattaya? I will be staying in South Pattaya near Soi Day Night.

What is the going rate per day/week/month for an automatic motorbike? I really do not have the patience for manual bike.

Thanks for any help in this matter.

Dani69
December 9th, 2009, 15:44
Just returned from a month in pattaya rented a very good clean new automatic bike from Ben Mansions Rooms to rent near Sunee Plaza across from Mikes La Cage bar cost 2000 Baht for the month plus 1000 deposit .... hope this is of some help.

bing
December 9th, 2009, 16:41
I take it you are sincere about renting a cycle in Pattaya. I speak as a veteran of some 15 years as an owner and user of a motorcycle. Considering the traffic and the weather is renting a cycle such a good idea for a farang? There are some who will not even hop on the back of a scooter with a Thai boy or gal driving. This is an ongoing controversy, to rent or just hop on the back of motorcycle. Driving in Pattaya takes some getting used to, unless you are already an experienced cyclist, are you willing to bet your life that you will survive the learning curve to become adept at driving in Pattaya.

December 9th, 2009, 17:09
Before renting a bike spend half an hour at the A&E of any of the Pattaya hospitals, it's a production line of injured motorbike riders, with a lot of them being falangs on holiday who wore only shorts, sandles and t-shirts much to their regret having ruined an otherwise nice holiday!

December 9th, 2009, 22:45
I'd agree with both Sanook and Bing - unless you know how to ride a bike you are asking for trouble in Pattaya; if its a case of economic necessity, balance out the financial and physical cost of any accidents you may have.

Even for an experienced rider (and if changing gear on a scooter is a problem and you consider an automatic a "decent motorbike" then I doubt if you are in that category!) Thai drivers and those in Pattaya in particular, along with the even more stupid expat riders/drivers, are a challenge.

If you do rent, Dani 69 paid the going rate - 100 baht a day, or 2,000 baht a month, plus insurance. If you can't get insurance then go elsewhere, for example to Mai Pang motorbikes or to Road Machine on Second Road (a few minutes walk from Soi Day Night, halfway from Pattaya Tai to Pattaya Klang, left hand side - telephone Chattri, 038 454058).

1PR4BKK
December 10th, 2009, 03:51
Thanks Dani69 for the tip on where I can rent a motorbike. That price seems just about right to me. I will probably get one tomorrow.

Bing and Sanook, I appreciate your thoughts on the safety of a foreigner renting a motor bike in Pattaya. I have seen some really terrible driving by both Thais and foreigners. However, I must admit that a lot of the accidents I have seen involved non-Thai drivers. I have noticed that Westerners appear to be some of the most aggressive and discourteous drivers in Thailand (and around the world).

Thanks Gone Fishing for the contact information. I think I will get the insurance on this trip as I will be away for a few days to HK during the rental cycle. I believe that it will be safe parked in front of the condo office and security but you never know here in the LOS.

Although, I may not be as seasoned a motorbike driver as some, I think I can hold my own for a couple of months. I understood the risk when I first started driving motorbikes in Asia and I continue to be a cautious driver.

December 11th, 2009, 22:43
Your insurance should not only be for theft, but should also cover at least 3rd party insurance and preferably fully comp (1st class).

The problem is not whether you can "hold your own" or not - it is whether the half-wit drunken farang/arab on a big bike he has no idea how to ride, or the Thai schoolboy with no brakes, tax or insurance on his aunt's moped, or any of the others on the road can hold their own!

1PR4BKK
December 14th, 2009, 06:20
Your insurance should not only be for theft, but should also cover at least 3rd party insurance and preferably fully comp (1st class).

The problem is not whether you can "hold your own" or not - it is whether the half-wit drunken farang/arab on a big bike he has no idea how to ride, or the Thai schoolboy with no brakes, tax or insurance on his aunt's moped, or any of the others on the road can hold their own!

GF, you are really sounding like my dad on this one. He used to tell me the same thing about driving back home. I took it to heart then and I am still doing it to this day in Pattaya. I truly realize that driving here in Thailand (and anywhere else for that matter) is a defensive sport. I have avoided so many close calls with knuckleheads by adhering to that simple driving tip as well as other instincts.

I thought about you yesterday as I was driving on Soi Bonkai and came upon a very bad multi-vehicle accident involving very young Thai drivers on motorbikes. They were all wearing shorts, skirts, T-shirts and other skimpy clothing. They were all scraped up pretty badly on their legs and arms but seemed to be alright otherwise. Many were crying as the medical team were tending their wounds. It almost made me want to turn in my motorbike. I know accidents will happen and if it is my time then I will have to suffer the wrath of fate. However, insurance may help lighten the financial blow, so I did get the maximum coverage they offered.

Thanks to all for your advice on this one guys.

December 15th, 2009, 20:48
GF, you are really sounding like my dad on this one. .....Thanks to all for your advice on this one guys.

Could be worse ... you could have said I sound like your mother!

And thanks for the thanks - it makes all the difference when any advice requested, whether useful or not, is actually acknowledged.