PDA

View Full Version : DON'T Drink Drive !!!!

December 3rd, 2009, 21:34
It looks like new drink driving laws will be implemented VERY soon, though I question the accuracy of many of the points of the article. I'll make sure my taxi driver hasn't been drinking, AND look forward to a cheaper beer at Balcony. Happy New Year! :alc:

Govt getting strict with drunk drivers

BANGKOK: -- The government is imposing a strict law against drunk driving, under which violators will be arrested immediately and be subject to prosecution within 48 hours, a Bangkok seminar on road safety was told yesterday.

A mandatory fine of between Bt5,000 and Bt20,000 will also be imposed on convicted violators, along with the drivers' licence being suspended for six months or forever for repeat offenders, judge Prasong Mahaleetrakool said.

The law is currently being tried out at Bangkok's Thung Maha Mek police station, where drunk driving violations are the most frequent. "The casualties from road accident in their jurisdiction is even higher than robberies or other crimes," Pol MajGeneral Anuchai Lekbamrung told the seminar.

The law will be strictly enforced during the holiday period. Each year, at least 12,000 people die and 100,000 get injured from road accidents, which costs the state around Bt240 billion. The Don't Drive Drunk foundation is concerned that the rate of road accidents would rise next year when liquor will become three times cheaper thanks to the Asean free trade agreement.

-- The Nation 2009-12-03

December 3rd, 2009, 21:38
I have no statistics to back it up, but I have a feeling that the place they need to target drink driving is outside Bangkok.

December 4th, 2009, 11:23
Drinks three times cheaper!! tell me more does this mean a bottle of wine will not be twice the price of scotch or gin

December 4th, 2009, 11:48
It looks like new drink driving laws will be implemented VERY soon ...
Prophetic!!
The police were out in force just after midnight on South Sathorn Road last night. Three lanes of traffic corralled into one and all cars getting close scrutiny. Traffic chaos of course and tailbacks for about half a mile. Anyone suspected of being drunk was being hauled out to a table on the sidewalk and made to blow into the machine. I saw two drivers at the table filling in forms and looking very sad.

December 4th, 2009, 12:21
Just a reminder.....if you are going to drink and drive, don't forget to take the car.............