PDA

View Full Version : BKK bar with view

bing
November 30th, 2009, 08:42
I have been asked by a friend to suggest the name of the bar with a nice view of city. I know of the Veritgo Bar at the Banyan Tree in BKK. Can you suggest other bars wth a great view of the city.

blazer
November 30th, 2009, 12:53
The bar and restaurant at the top of the Sofitel Silom a great view of the city, the bar at the top of the Dusit Thani as well. Nice places to have a drink and enjoy the view.

lonelywombat
November 30th, 2009, 16:01
Let me add the top floor of the old Tower Inn.Now called Unico Grand Silom.

I get conflicting stories about when the rooftop bar and restaurant is open.

20 floors high it is great value when open.

November 30th, 2009, 18:43
http://www.01men.com/diaporamas/images/2108_skybar_1b.jpg

The Sky Bar and Scirocco Restaurant on top of State Tower on Silom Road

bing
November 30th, 2009, 19:10
Hi,
Thanks guys. These options will be perfect to suggest for my friend. Big Thanks.

November 30th, 2009, 19:40
Red Sky at the top of Centara Grand Central World is great too.

I also like Zense, the bar and restaurant at the top of the Central World mall itself - more relaxed than the hotel bars but still a good view and a nice stylish space.

TrongpaiExpat
November 30th, 2009, 20:44
The very top of Bangkok is Baiyoke Tower. There are restaurants on the 76th, 78th, 79th, 82nd and 83rd floor. The 83rd is called the Roof Top Bar and Music Room. I have eaten at the Crystal Grill (82) and Stella Palace (79) both good but I liked the Crystal better. It's all upscale buffet and runs for something like 650. Drinks are not included and are minuscule. The desert section was poor, better stuff available at 7-11 but the rest was palatable. I found the service on the poor side but I guess you really come here for the view. You have to buy a voucher for dinner at the lobby desk. For the price I really am not complaining.

http://www.baiyokehotel.com/

November 30th, 2009, 21:47
...... Drinks are not included and are minuscule....

What exactly do you mean?

Presumably you don't mean the PRICES are minuscule (sic) - or do you?
I can't believe you mean the drinking vessels are of dolls-house proportions either - and as far as the contents are concerned, a measure is a measure is it not?

The place sounds like a good option, but can we have some clarity on the drinks issue?

:occasion9: :occasion9: :occasion9: :occasion9: :occasion9: :occasion9:

TrongpaiExpat
November 30th, 2009, 21:57
The quantity of the spirits. A friend ordered a Jack Daniels and coke(not mixed) and got I would guess was 10ml of Jack, not a standard 30ml. The price was if I remember correctly was about 160B. I just had a soft drink, 60B or thereabouts. This is at the Crystal Grill. It might be another story at the Sky Bar and Music Room, never been there.

December 1st, 2009, 00:08
The quantity of the spirits. A friend ordered a Jack Daniels and coke(not mixed) and got I would guess was 10ml of Jack, not a standard 30ml. The price was if I remember correctly was about 160B. I just had a soft drink, 60B or thereabouts. This is at the Crystal Grill. It might be another story at the Sky Bar and Music Room, never been there.

Ah, all is now crystal clear - they are not using measures.

I must say that I have had similar experiences in some gogo bars where it has been well nigh impossible to taste any spirit in the drink at all. And if you buy a boy a Vodka and coke for example it is guaranteed to be almost devoid of any vodka whatsoever.

In bars where short measure is routine, I now ask for the spirit and the mixer to be served separately, and without ice. It is then very hard for them to screw you as you can see exactly what you are getting. Yes they will charge separately for the mixer but the same mixer will then last for 2 or 3 further "real" drinks.

As for the "boy drink" scam I sometimes order the same drink as the boy and when both arrive I swap them, taste the one he was meant to be getting and tell them they have forgotten the spirit - it's amazing how this is greeted with "Oh Sorry" and the drink is then topped up with spirit.

As we all know, you have to play the game sometimes.

:occasion9: :occasion9: :occasion9: :occasion9: :occasion9: :occasion9: :occasion9:

krobbie
December 1st, 2009, 00:52
I second the bid from Lovely_RS as to the Sky Bar. I have taken a couple of SGT members up to the 63th floor of the State Tower. This is the best in town in my book. http://www.lebua.com/bangkok/dining/sky-bar/

Second is Breeze Bar on the 51st and 52nd fllors of State Tower. http://www.lebua.com/bangkok/dining/breeze

I have to say the view from both these places and the sheer wonderment of the surrounds is incredible.

There is a dress code for both.Collared shirt and no shorts, even dressier shorts.

Drinks run about 550 baht and is the best money I have spent. Something to be savoured. Scoff all the free nibbles at the bar.

I have also been to the ageing Byoke Sky Tower and its creaking revolving view platform. Quite good but no ambiance. Seems just like any other tourist place. I prefer to rub shoulders with BKK high fliers. They don't know that tomorrow I will be back to flip flops and shots and a T shirt.

[attachment=0:cwopbtux]Sky_Bar 2.jpg[/attachment:cwopbtux]

Beachlover
December 2nd, 2009, 17:49
I agree... the bar on top of Lebua State Tower is the most spectacular.... just amazing. They serve a really good Martini there.

I didn't like the Bayoike (spelling?) sky bar as much... it was really crowded and cramped... where as on top of the Lebua it's almost big enough to run laps.