PDA

View Full Version : King's BD

thrillbill
November 29th, 2009, 07:44
This Friday is a holiday!!!!!!!!... (I can't remember) Will the bars and clubs be open or closed for the Kings BD? I know with elections and Buddhist holdays they're closed.

November 29th, 2009, 07:48
This Friday is a holiday!!!!!!!!... (I can't remember) Will the bars and clubs be open or closed for the Kings BD? I know with elections and Buddhist holdays they're closed.Doesn't it rather depend on whether he'll want to pop out from his hospital bed to visit a bar? According to the papers Betty and Phil were recently seen out on the town in London.

Bob
November 29th, 2009, 08:20
This Friday is a holiday!!!!!!!!...

I think you meant Saturday (the 5th)?

TrongpaiExpat
November 29th, 2009, 11:55
Since the Kings birthday falls on a Saturday this year there's no official weekday designated as a holiday on my calendar. Typically, in most countries when a holiday falls on a weekend you get Monday off. Monday the 7th is the day I have been noticing most business are closing but I bet some also throw in Friday.

I am guessing that the bars will be closed on the 5th and it's any ones guess what they will do on Monday the 7th. The government schools are closing on the 7th, so I would not be surprised if the bars are closed on the 5th and 7th some might just close all three days 5 to 7 even if the police make the rounds and allow them open on the 6th.

Often when there are unclear rules on closing and not closing the police make notifications at the last minute. One year not so long ago the King came out and said don't close all the entertainment venues for my birthday, you should go out and celebrate. That year everything was open but the following year it was back to closures.

I wonder if the King is going to make an address this year? I have not heard anything. Last year there was much anticipation that he would say something about the Yellow and Red shirt activities but he did not make his usual birthday speech. Though, in recent years this yearly speech is getting increasing vague and don't really say anything.

Plans for the official celebration are being announced now. I went one year and got in a huge crowd of people with no way to move. The exits did not accommodate the number of people and there seemed no way to get out. Hours latter, getting pushed, pulled and crushed in all directions, we made it out. Never again.

TrongpaiExpat
November 30th, 2009, 17:52
This answers my question: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2009/11/30/national/national_30117609.php

But, brings up some more questions.

Smiles
December 1st, 2009, 06:26
This answers my question: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2009/11/30/national/national_30117609.php. But, brings up some more questions.
:headbang: Just one more good reason why I love Thailand so much.

December 1st, 2009, 12:32
But, brings up some more questions.The answers to all of them are likely to be the same - too frail.

TrongpaiExpat
December 1st, 2009, 23:28
So, to answer the question will the bars be open. I have now been told some will be open on the 5th and some will not. Your not going to get consistency.