PDA

View Full Version : A few good Pattaya dining ideas

Surfcrest
November 15th, 2009, 17:06
A couple more very good Pattaya suggestions for dinner:

A few nights ago my b.f. And I went to the new (new since I've been back last) Central Mall. I had wondered a few days earlier why the Royal Garden Center seemed to have gone down hill quite a bit and lost some of their bigger business clients. It's quite easy to see with this monster sized mall sporting many of the fine clothing shops that have departed the Royal.

We sort of discovered the mall by accident, it does not appear on the SPICE map and so it's approximately at Soi 8 between the big Mike's and Central Pattaya road. We were originally on our way to Tops to try and find a favorite Hot Pot place and perhaps bowl a few frames at the same mall. This mall too has gone down hill a bit, but the bowling alley remains up on the top floor. The old M&K Hot Pot is now a cheap clothing store.

So back to the Central Mall we had passed on our way to Tops and low and behold we found M&K's new location upstairs with several other restaurant choices. The place had a very nice, modern design. It was quite busy, but we were able to get a nice table without more than a minute or two wait. The menu had changed with not as much seafood selection / combinations as they once had, but still the rest of the selections were quite good. With very affordable drink prices, supplemented with free re-fillable ice tea...M&K not only is good value for the baht, but is a good nutritious alternative to Thai / Western food that even your Thai friend should appreciate. For those of you that aren't familiar with Hot Pot, you essentially get a hot boiling pot of water to which you add the ingredients that you choose. There really is no wrong choices, the combinations are good as are the a la cart choices. The cost, with drinks should average 300 to 400 baht each with a paid drink.

A side note to mention that probably won't enhance or take away from your dining experience, it was nice to see a staff of Thais working efficiently for once. They were all organized well in their tasks and worked with smooth efficiency.

We also ate out at Pagoda in the Jomtien Complex Friday night and had an excellent meal. The host, Helmut sitting outdoors personally showed us to our table and for the most part the restaurant was completely full. There was a limited, but good selection of wine choices. We ordered wine by the glass, although wine by the half litre or bottle appeared to be much better value. They have a very good selection of salads, appetizers and soups for starters and here is also a very attractive selection of rich looking deserts to choose from after your meal. With the last table for two available, we sat near the bar with a view into the kitchen. While this may not have been the best table for two in the house, it enabled us to peak into the kitchen to see the staff at work. The only thing that needed a change is the swinging door without a window, as the staff quite often bumped into each other there as a result. This can hardly be seen as a real significant minus for the restaurant, simply a small design flaw that was overlooked.

The meal was excellent, not only for Pattaya but on an International level. I've spent quite a bit of time over the past year in Europe and the meal rivaled some of the better places I enjoyed in Paris.
My b.f. (a big steak connoisseur) had the filet mignon in cognac sauce and I had the mixed seafood platter on a light Bearnaise sauce. With comfortable seating, management attentive to their customers and creations that take advantage of local ingredients....Pagoda was an amazing two thumbs up from me and my b.f.

November 15th, 2009, 20:47
MK Suki a recommended restaurant? ROFLMAO.

A new forum low.

Brad the Impala
November 15th, 2009, 23:23
MK Suki a recommended restaurant? ROFLMAO.

A new forum low.

The thread was titled dining ideas, rather than recommendations, and it is clearly written by and directed towards the occasional visitor, rather than the seasoned veteran like yourself. What would be your recommendations?

November 15th, 2009, 23:26
[quote="Beach Bunny":2ihotxhz]MK Suki a recommended restaurant? ROFLMAO.

A new forum low.

The thread was titled suggestions, rather than recommendations, and they is clearly written by and directed towards the occasional visitor, rather than the seasoned veteran like yourself. What would be your recommendations?[/quote:2ihotxhz]

You don't have to be a seasoned visitor to avoid mass-produced, pre-fab, chain-restaurant-in-a-mall dining.

I do not visit Pattaya often -- it has been years. But Mata Hari and Indian by Nature were always good. For something local, the seafood places in Bang Saray, or those at the very end of Jomthien Beach.

I would not recommend (or "suggest") MK Suki to my worst enemy.

Surfcrest
November 16th, 2009, 08:02
All too often when you order a steak in Thailand, you may be disappointed with the quality of the cut and the amount of time you can spend with all the extra chewing. So many places advertise New Zealand or Australian beef with no assurance that this is definitely what your are getting. Even if it is, who's to say it is some of the better beef from down under.

In North & South America, we too are spoiled when it comes to a good steak and so if you are looking for a good steak while in Thailand, El Paso makes an excellent steak using Thai beef (believe it or not) that they've been able to work well enough to nearly melt in your mouth. The European owner and his very friendly team of Thai staff do a great job making the experience the most...from beginning to end. The prices are very affordable and without a big crowd the food is served up quickly...piping hot.

We enjoyed eating there with some long time friends from the great State of Texas, who also know a good steak, El Paso is on South Pattaya Road.

Sorry wabbit....not going for the carrot this time either, or anytime soon. Thanks for the laughs though.

November 16th, 2009, 08:12
I'm not sure anyone can take your restaurant suggestions seriously after MK Suki.

Better go back to boy bar reviews.

cdnmatt
November 16th, 2009, 08:30
I've honestly completely given up on farang food in Pattaya. Maybe I just have horrible luck, but 95% of the farang food I've had here is either absolute shit, or on the low-end of mediocre at best. Especially when the bill for 600 baht comes, while knowing I could have had something that tastes far better for a measly 50 baht. Let alone if I spend say 200 baht on a plate of Thai food, then I'm eating like a king.

Then again, maybe I just have bad luck. I've only had one farang meal in Pattaya that I would actually eat again though.

Surfcrest
November 16th, 2009, 17:46
I've honestly completely given up on farang food in Pattaya. Maybe I just have horrible luck, but 95% of the farang food I've had here is either absolute shit, or on the low-end of mediocre at best. Especially when the bill for 600 baht comes, while knowing I could have had something that tastes far better for a measly 50 baht. Let alone if I spend say 200 baht on a plate of Thai food, then I'm eating like a king.

Then again, maybe I just have bad luck. I've only had one farang meal in Pattaya that I would actually eat again though.

I'm not sure what you are getting at cdnmatt....that you have eaten at the suggestions I provided and they have been absolute shit or mediocre at best....or are you speaking specifically about other establishments? It's pretty hard to benchmark your statement and to provide a comparison unless you quantify your experiences somewhat. Have you been to either MK, El Paso or Pagoda's? Is it you who's complaining or a complaint from your Thai boyfriend? (By the way, MK is not farang unless you've never been to a Hot Pot place here or back home in Lotus Land). Where do you eat in Vancouver, or are those choices all that bad too (And please don't quote the fine establishments near your Bute & West Georgia condo...like Wendy's, Tim Horton's, Steamrollers...and let's not forget McDonald's down at Thurlow)?

At least the bunny takes a stab at some places he may have visited years ago on the rare occasion he's gotten out of Bangkok (let alone away from his computer and out of his flat). I'm guessing he's never been to MK in Pattaya...and yet qualifies as an expert never the less.

Brad the Impala
November 16th, 2009, 18:00
You don't have to be a seasoned visitor to avoid mass-produced, pre-fab, chain-restaurant-in-a-mall dining.

I think that I qualify as seasoned, and tend to agree with you about restaurant chains, wherever they are, however I have found Fuji an exception to the rule, and have enjoyed many meals in their restaurants.

November 16th, 2009, 19:32
I'm guessing he's never been to MK in Pattaya...and yet qualifies as an expert never the less.

I've been to MK in Bangkok. Are you trying to say that the Pattaya branch of this very low-end quality chain is somehow better than those in Bangkok?

allieb
November 16th, 2009, 19:38
On my recent vist to Pattaya in September I was taken to a place outside Pattaya, about a 20 minute drive. I can't remember the name of the restaurant but it was in The Silver lake vinyard owned by a Thai actress. They produce a very good drinkable wine and the menu is mainly Italian. The bill for 4 people was 3,400 baht for 3 courses with bottle of their home produced wine.

Irish1972
November 16th, 2009, 20:30
In order of my preference:

Un Bon Coin
Mata Hari
Mantra
Mignon
Pagoda
Saturday Buffet at the Royal Cliff
Bali Hai (not sure of the spelling)

Patexpat
November 16th, 2009, 20:53
Irish 1972 post got me thinking .. came up with (in approx order of preference as it really comes down to what I fancy)

Casa Pascal
Steam Rice/Sticky Rice (Sukhumvit)
Ritz (Jomtien Complex)
Mignon
Cherries

and finally, my latest fave - a small, modest Thai restaurant on Pattaya Tai near Center Condo, whose name escapes me but just fab Thai food at very modest prices, always heaving after about 7.30. (OK, I'll try to find out its name)

Irish1972
November 16th, 2009, 20:56
Forgot about Ritz, I like that too!

November 17th, 2009, 04:13
I'm sure it's just an oversight but none of you :notworthy: 'Fine Diners' :notworthy: have mentioned AMOR in Boyztown

giggsy
November 17th, 2009, 04:36
I can do Mata Hari and Mantra once a week.But its the queen Vic or the Butchers arms the rest of the time I'm afaid.

Irish1972
November 17th, 2009, 06:25
I'm sure it's just an oversight but none of you :notworthy: 'Fine Diners' :notworthy: have mentioned AMOR in Boyztown

No, it was not an oversight, well at least not from me. :tongue3:

Surfcrest
November 17th, 2009, 07:58
and finally, my latest fave - a small, modest Thai restaurant on Pattaya Tai near Center Condo, whose name escapes me but just fab Thai food at very modest prices, always heaving after about 7.30. (OK, I'll try to find out its name)

Oh-AH-HARN-THAI perhaps....I mentioned that in another thread as my 10 out of 10.
There are actually a few in the vicinity that are okay, but this tends to be the more popular with the Thai / Farang crwod.
I'm in there atleast twice a week...including last night.