PDA

View Full Version : 3 small gems in Chiang Mai ...

Smiles
November 13th, 2009, 09:56
Myself and Himself took the vapours at Chiang Mai recently, the denouement to the Grand Trek to Sukhothai (Loy Kratong) and Doi Inthanon (enlightenment).
We ended up being feted by a couple of Board members in the guise of 'Bob' (well known for being the lone defender of the Zionist Conspiracy on Baht Stop) and 'Richard' (who's lived in Chiang Mai for only a few months but Knows All ... or at least has credible theories of 'All').
Extraordinarily pleasant companions both, but for the purpose of this post I shall keep it at the level of 'Informational' ... our conversations being so dark and disturbing with Chiang Mai insider politics, and depressing in my newly found knowledge that one of these gentleman had apparently come down with a touch of the Hypochondria: i.e. he took one look at me as I entered the portals of his luxury condo in a distinctly upper crust part of town and immediately decided he had contracted the dread H1N1 Flu. My face seems to do that to folks.

But I digress: 'The Three Small Gems':

(#1) When you are in Chiang Mai, please do yourself a great big favour and take dinner at a lovely little restaurant named 'Sabai Dee'. Now there is probably 3 million restaurants in Thailand (and San Fran and Vancouver) with that name, but this particular one was quite a treat.
First of all, the food was reasonably priced and so good to the taste that it disturbs me to think I'll have to travel all the way north to Lanna country just to try it again. And that goes generally for all the food on the table: my friends not being lovers of spicy food some of the dishes were not of my choosing, but it did not matter ... Sabai Dee did them all well. Luckily we had one Thai man there who stuffed all the chillies he could into his own choices and pronounced the place "good taste".
But the ambiance and decor of the place is inspired. A big fish pond (with fish to see, not eat) reside under the bar area, and the theme travels upwards to the bar itself where small fish float happily along underneath one's beer mug. Sounds hokey, but it works.
Terrific romantic lighting, lovely antiques placed in unusual spots, old teak folding doors, a hong nam which is, er, 'unique', and takes some getting used to.
The charm of just sitting in Sabai Dee for an hour or so is well worth the trouble of finding the place. (Please PM 'Bob' on this Board for directions. We drove there and I haven't a clue as to where we were. Perhaps Bob has a biz card and can relay the address).

(#2) Shoved off for drinks at the 'Soho Bar' and stayed there for an hour or so ... the mood interrupted only by my guy having to leave with a burst stomach ulcer from the previously mentioned pile-on of chillies at Sabai Dee. Or perhaps it was Bob coughing his H1N1 tainted viruses all over us on a regular basis.

But what a cute little bar this is. Quite small, very effusive and friendly staff, and a continual flow of Very Cute Guys (all customers, not host boys) lounging around on bar chairs at the front, and big comfy sofas and low intimate chairs and little coffee tables at the back.
If you want to be alone for a dark quiet drink, or if you want to meet Chiang Mai Thai guys not wearing tank tops or who's boxer underwear is not easily grabbable, then you could do much worse than Soho Bar. Once again ... not a clue where it is, but I'm sure everyone who lives in Chiang Mai, or travels there frequently, knows it.

(#3) This next place has no name that I'm aware of, but it's on the Taepae Gate side of the ring road which traverses along the outside of Chiang Mai's beautiful moat. It's located most romantically right next to a big Petronus Gas Station . . . so the best way to find it is to look for the huge Petronas sign.

If the sublime breakfast/lunch Thai dish of 'Khao Mun Gai' (phonetic spelling) is your (almost) daily pleasure ~ which it is mine ~ then hunt this place down and luxuriate in the simplest, most-delicious-when-done-right plate of boiled chicken on top of steamed rice with a sublime sauce and a bowel of fragrant chicken broth ... all for 30 baht.

Amongst my numerous ongoing gastronomic quests is the one to find (and devour) the Best Khao Mun Gai in Thailand. I once thought I'd found it in a little hole in the wall underneath the On Nut Skytrain Station in Bangkok, and in fact Hua Hin has two places which almost match that . . . but the Buddha's finger has touched this joint in Chiang Mai: beautifully tender (and fat!) slivers of juicy white chicken meat placed neatly along a plate of piping hot rice (a rarity!), the boiling technique of the chicken is very important for it to come out like this. The broth is strong ... unlike some Khao Mun Gai shops where it's mostly hot water with little pieces of chicken floating around. But this dish needs the sauce: it's always different shades of brown, but the best places make their own, and it's always just a little bit different. The Chiang Mai connection variation is as good as it gets (my Thai guy says it is and I concurred as we sat nodding in approval at each other) and it took him to drag me away from ordering an entire second plate. That's never happened before.

Do yourself a huge favour while in Thailand: say "mai ouw" to the cornflakes, the fried eggs, the lousy bacon, the cold pancakes, the atrocious toast ... and get thee to a local Khao Mun Gai stall for breakfast. They're all over the place . . . you'll know them by the four or five chicken cadavers hanging under glass and some old lady furiously chopping away at the white meat.
You'll never go back to the god awful 'American Breakfast', or the even worse 'English' variation.

gra46
November 13th, 2009, 10:50
Thanks for that as i will be in Chiang Mai from the 21st december and never been there i will look these places up

Bob
November 13th, 2009, 14:55
and immediately decided he had contracted the dread H1N1 Flu. My face seems to do that to folks.

Nope, just a nasty head cold and some bronchitis, proudly earned at a party with copious bottles of Sangsom celebrating the last night of the Paradise (at the peak) bar a few nights before. Alas, the "peak" bars are no more, Chang (the beer magnate who bought the land) finally having decided to kick out all of its tenants. I presume they intend to build something there soon although I have no clue if it might be the 4/5 start hotel previously rumored (as if Chiangmai needs another hotel....not).

By the way, while visiting Chiangmai Ram for the ailments, it was they who insisted on both a swine flu test and a beauty test. Both came back negative.

Sabai Dee'

Ahaan Tai (restaurant) Sabai Dee. I have no clue about the address but it's next to (and maybe owned by) the Santitham Guest House that's maybe two kilometers or so north of the northwest corner of the old city. If you're engaging a tuktuk to go there, you better ask for the guest house as, like Smiles said, there are number of "Sabai Dee" restaurants around town. Alternatively, google "Santitham Guest House" and they have a printable map.

'Soho Bar'[/b]
Yes, relatively quiet and friendly drinking/conversation bar that's on the north side of Huay Kaew opposite the Chiangmai Orchid Hotel (which is 300 meters or so west of the mall known as Kad Suan Kaew or Centran). Polite and friendly staff and generally friendly customers. Gay-owned and staffed (but don't take that to mean they're "offable" as at least some are not).

This next place has no name that I'm aware of, but it's on the Taepae Gate side of the ring road which traverses along the outside of Chiang Mai's beautiful moat.

Smiles is rather directionally challenged but, in any event, directions like this are somewhat similar to telling you that a restaurant is somewhere on the east side of Chicago. Good luck in finding this one!

November 13th, 2009, 17:59
When i was in Chiang Mai last month I had a chance to go to both the Soho Bar and Sabai Dee.

I absolutely agree that Sabai Dee is a very good Restaurant. The food is very reasonably priced and great taste. The decor is very pleasing. I will be going back during my trip next week.

Soho bar is less than a 5 minute walk from Lavender Lana Hotel. If you need a motor bike or internet service Buddy's Internet is a bout 1 block from Soho and most people in that area of town know where Buddy's is. The guys that work at Soho speak good English and Popy one of the bartenders is really fun to talk with. Soho is open early in the afternoon as a coffee spot also.

Smiles gave very good tips I feel

TrongpaiExpat
November 13th, 2009, 18:40
I like the Urinal in the bathroom of the Sabai Dee restaurant.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v735/mmythai22/DSCN2795_600x600_100KB.jpg?t=1258115775

TrongpaiExpat
November 13th, 2009, 18:53
Ahaan Tai (restaurant) Sabai Dee. I have no clue about the address but it's next to (and maybe owned by) the Santitham Guest House that's maybe two kilometers or so north of the northwest corner of the old city. If you're engaging a tuktuk to go there, you better ask for the guest house as, like Smiles said, there are number of "Sabai Dee" restaurants around town. Alternatively, google "Santitham Guest House" and they have a printable map.

Look for this sign. Not far from the Adam's Apple. It's very dark at night and not easy to see. No off street parking.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v735/mmythai22/DSCN2796_600x600_100KB.jpg?t=1258116742

Brad the Impala
November 13th, 2009, 19:43
Amongst my numerous ongoing gastronomic quests is the one to find (and devour) the Best Khao Mun Gai in Thailand.

I love my Khao Mun Gai too, and the best that I have had is at the curiously named Briley's, at Aroonsom Plaza(landward side), Patong. Been going for almost ten years now, and not only are the chicken and the sauce the best, but the young girls working there are friendly and enjoying their work. They were joined last year by a "sensitive" and cute young lad, who had lasted only a couple of nights as a gogo guy in Paradise, before deciding it wasn't for him.

Look out for the Briley sign over the shopfront though, as another Khao Mun Gai restaurant has opened three doors away, and while quite good, it doesn't come close to Brileys.

Alaan
November 13th, 2009, 19:51
Yes, and i'll go along with the votes for Soho. More a place to go with your friend/faen rather than a pick-up joint...very laid back and friendly....it was not far from PJs Place where we were staying...and by the way, i still highly recommend...no 'lottery with the rooms' there as they are all immaculate.

In Soho you can sit near the entrance where the bar is and engage in conversation with the very friendly staff and some of the customers...who did not spend half the time leering at your Thai faen as you find in the Pattaya bars. But the sofas at the back are nice to sit with a couple of spot-on Singapore Slings and your beloved and either start the evening...or as we did most nights......finish up the evening before heading for PJs.

Only issue I'll take up with Smiles is more one relating to breakfast preferences. Despite the many years of visiting Thailand and eating/trying/passing-on.....all kinds of 'delicious' Issan food such the as raw bloody liver strips dipped in what appeared to be the spiciest chilli mix made possible (i passed) but i eat bugs(if freshly cooked and hot) and anything as long as it is cooked.......i still cannot eat Thai food as my first meal of the day.... aka...breakfast if before 12 noon....and especially if i've just got up.

My guy can open the fridge and woolf down the remenants of last nights pappaya pok pok or whatever.....but i cannot eat even freshly made spicy or chicken-rice style Thai breakfast fare.....first thing in the morning i just can't look at it. If out in the 'sticks' at my guys village, my guy can whip up a great omelete, so i'll have that or yoghurts and the like.......and if in a city and i fancy a british style.....i only go to places i can get lean back bacon...along with tomato and eggs and brown toast is a nice change...it doesn't need to be swimming in fat and taste like crap Smiles! just be selective in what you choose to eat. At all other times i can eat just about anything Thai served up to me...it is just breakfast that turns my stomach a bit.....don't know why...i have tried!

I suppose if you move to Thailand or stay for long peroids of time you would probably get to enjoy Thai breakfast fare. I'm not sure if i'm alone with the breakfast thing or not.

TrongpaiExpat
November 13th, 2009, 19:53
Amongst my numerous ongoing gastronomic quests is the one to find (and devour) the Best Khao Mun Gai in Thailand.

I love my Khao Mun Gai too, and the best that I have had is at the curiously named Briley's, at Aroonsom Plaza(landward side), Patong. Been going for almost ten years now, and not only are the chicken and the sauce the best,

This?
Khao Mun Gai (http://www.enjoythaifood.com/chickenrice.php)

All seems pretty much the same to me no matter where it's served. Pretty much a standard Thai stable with at the most slight variations in quality/quantity from one place to the next.

Brad the Impala
November 13th, 2009, 20:20

I love my Khao Mun Gai too, and the best that I have had is at the curiously named Briley's, at Aroonsom Plaza(landward side), Patong. Been going for almost ten years now, and not only are the chicken and the sauce the best,

This?
Khao Mun Gai (http://www.enjoythaifood.com/chickenrice.php)

All seems pretty much the same to me no matter where it's served. Pretty much a standard Thai stable with at the most slight variations in quality/quantity from one place to the next.

That's it. Simple food, but you find huge variety in my opinion in the quality of the chicken, the sauce and the broth. Office workers queue at Briley's at lunchtime, while the adjoining venue, serving the same dish, always has tables and chicken available, while Briley's sells out by mid afternoon.

Alaan, this is an easy meal, if you have difficulty with thai food for your first food of the day.

PeterUK
November 13th, 2009, 21:31
i still cannot eat Thai food as my first meal of the day.... I'm not sure if i'm alone with the breakfast thing or not.

No, you're not alone, I agree with you 100 percent. My usual breakfast, prepared at home, is cereal and milk topped with fresh fruit and yoghurt; a glass of fruit juice to drink. If I have time, I'll follow that with jam on toast and a cup of tea. I rarely fancy a full English breakfast when I get up but once in a while have it at midday. As you say, plenty of places where it's well-cooked. Pay no attention to Smiles, he's gone native, poor man. All in all, I think your post one of the most profoundly true that I've ever read on this board! :hello1:

November 13th, 2009, 22:21
I'll definitely give this breakfast a try on my next visit! My guy in Pattaya always ordered this dish that had rice with a fried egg on it, with some sort of seafood stir-fry on the side. I'm not a big fan of seafood and I sure wasn't going to have it for breakfast.

bao-bao
November 13th, 2009, 23:15
Another vote for Soho as a relaxed, quiet spot to rest or visit with folks. The owner was quite helpful with recommendations and directions and the staff were pleasant and friendly. NOT a place to go view a line-up but it qualifies for the "gay friendly" status some wearing blinders seem to insist on before visiting a new place.

Within a block on the same side of the street is another small cozy place to eat: Lemontree. The food got the seal of approval from both myself and my Thai friends. They're celebrating their 12th anniversary, so evidently are doing something right. The prices were certainly reasonable.

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z56/khunbaobao/W-Lemontree.jpg

Alaan
November 13th, 2009, 23:57
Yes TrongpaiExpat that is the stuff.........and following my inability to write short and 'to the point' posts....will continue......

Brad...i love that dish.....but if i smell the chicken, rice and especially the broth and sauce at breakfast time i just can't look at it. And i agree that there are, despite it being a simple a dish, differences in the broth and/or chicken rice at different places.....when we stay in Pattaya we always go to Wat Chai market on our way home for Khao Mun Gai...but there is only one of the stalls who serves a consistantly delicious version...where the broth is great.

And thanks to Peteruk for confirming that i am not the only 'strange' foreigner in Thailand with regards to breakfast time. The reason i say 'strange' is because the first few times i stayed with my thai guys' family in Issan...that was definitely their breakfast time opinion of me. At 5' 8" and about 65kg i'm not exactly wasting away...but you would think i was, given the persistance of mother, sister, uncle etal in offering me items from the breakfast 'banquet' ...all described to me (falsely by the way) as 'pet neet-noy' (read: fucking spicy!)and the puzzled looks as i politely either passed on the offer or sometimes out of politeness would dip a small piece of sticky rice into the least disgusting bowl and force it into my mouth at 8-9am.....i do understand a little Thai/lao words and even the kids would ask what was 'wrong' with me....was i perhaps a little unwell? 'alaan mai sabii'? given that i was resisting these delights.

I finally told my faen just to explain to the entire family (saves repeating a number of times thereafter) that i always ate very little for breakfast back home.....although the food was in fact very delicious(not really a lie as i did enjoy the food later in the day) . The ideal compromise for me was when i realised that my faen made a very tasty omelete...i would have that sit as part of the overall breakfast banquet so i could join in and eat thai family style while at least appearing to be hungry and 'normal'.......but in reality when faced with a 8.30am breakfast buffet consisting.... cold large mushrooms floating in some dark liquid, smelly (to me) papaya pok pok....pork gristle....'bits' of chickens..i knew this from the clawed feet floating around....2nd day raw beef/buffalo complete with attached fly....crab 'bits'... and the other strong smelling items...it took me all my time to get the omelette down......oh yes! and at the same time smile accordingly.....i have to underline that this was mornings only...food later in the day seemed to take on a new life for me...especally the many soups with vegtables and if there was any leanish well cooked meats...along with BBQ khao neiow (sticky rice).

Just one final word on Khao Mun Gai...and i know this might be quite distasteful to some for mentioning....but the absolute favourite time to eat Khao Mun Gai in my opinion/experience and also that of my faen, is when you get back to the room after a night out...still slightly boozy and in the mood for a serious 'roll in the hay' ...(that's a euphemism for 'a good fuck' by the way).....after said exsertions....a plate (or indeed polystyrene container) of Khao Mun Gai goes down VERY well......

Thanks to Bao Bao for mentioning The Lemon Tree...likewise a seal of approval from my guy and only a few metres further up the road from Soho and concur that it serves very good food at very reasonable prices and upstairs at the window is a nice place to watch the comings and goings on the busy road outfront.

Smiles
November 14th, 2009, 08:25
Thanks to all who posted addresses/directions to Soho Bar and Sabai Dee. I only think of making a post out of places long after the actual attendance. In this case I never knew where we were going as we were driven by a Chiang Mai resident who seemed to know the back alley's well. And Bob, you sicko, I do believe there's only one Petronas gas station on the moat ring road ... so just keep on driving around until you smash into it.

Glad to have the necessary advice.

As for Trongpai unhappily not finding grades of differentiation in the many Khao Mun Gai places ... that's his unfortunate fate.
My experience is very different ... and I did mention in the opening post that the dish was 'simple' (i.e. 'basic'), which for me, makes it all the more special.

To PeterUK: "gone native"??? This sounds like just cause for rotting Durians at 10 paces Sir. On Dongtan Beach (perfect for durians, especially rotten) at first light on Dec 30? I already have a second, do you?

November 15th, 2009, 14:12
Let me throw in a suggestion or three from my favorites list of spots to go to in Chiang Mai

1) Lavender Sky (on the roof of Lavender Lanna Hotel.)
The staff is attentive, the view a treat, the food is decent, the drinks full measure and, voila, the al fresco 2 story spot is a fine place for a romantic rendezvous. (Dinner for 2 and drinks about 900 baht the time that I went). It gets points for being (mostly) gay and can be rented in it's entirety for private functions. An added feature if rented: the Power Boys staff can be asked to mingle with your guests as appropriate.

2) Palad Tawanron (Turn right and follow the signs at the end of Th. Suthep)
- Although the ride up can strain your motorcy, the trip is worth it. The food is great - lunch for 3 with fruit juices 700 baht - and the view down the valley will have you pulling out your camera to snap the scene. Perched in Doi Suthep's jungle, it might be best to go at night when the city lights up. Be prepared to wait for a table if dining at night, and

3) Galae (go straight and follow the road at the end of Th. Suthep)
- Not really a view spot other than the reservoir that borders Galae (Hillside) Restaurant and the city view on the other side of the water, maybe the floral extravaganza and waterside location will compensate. It is located at the top of Th. Suthep beside the Northern Regional Agriculture Office. Thirty years ago, it started life as a meal spot for the staff and has since grown into a solid choice for dining. A leisurely lunch for 2 with 3 dishes and fruit juices runs about 450 baht.

Get a waterside table on the left as you walk through the flowers and amuse yourself by feeding leftovers, if there are any, to the fish.

Bob
November 15th, 2009, 23:22
And Bob, you sicko, I do believe there's only one Petronas gas station on the moat ring road ... so just keep on driving around until you smash into it.

Wrong, Petch Kasem breath.....The ring road is probabably at least 7-10 miles long (basically stretching around the city from near the airport all the way back to Huay Kaew).
And several Petronas gas stations. I've gotta buy you a compass or a GPS unit for Christmas....

krobbie
November 16th, 2009, 00:51
Bob, I'll take one of those units also thanks.

Having recently traveled to CM for a week, I have to say I had a difficult time figuring out what side of the wall I was on. I guess it takes a little while to get your head around it. I am directionally challenged at the best of times, although I have now got Bangkok pretty much sussed and also Phuket, but the rest of Thailand is still an enigma.

I do realise that Chiang Mai is North west of BKK and fortunately I didn't have to fly the plane. I left that to the very efficient NOK pilots. Avery pleasant flight I might add ... nothing like the Air Asia experience of last year ... never again.

Anyhoo, as it happend Richard took me and my guy to Sabai Dee Santitham and also showed us where Soho was situated also. WE saw Richard a couple of times, the first being at the airport, where he kindly came to pick us up and deliver us top our CH hotel. What a kind man and a very good dinner companion later that night.

I agree with what has been said about this place for decor and food. Both rather exceptional, right down to the fish swimming under my ashtray at the bar. I have since dispensed with the need for ashtrays as I think I may have kicked the habit finally.

I look forward to going back when Bob is in residence but sans his cold. I'm not keen on feeling under the weather. I'm more for sightseeing and the more touristy the better. Although, I might ask the Chiang Mai frequenters, after Doi Suthep, Wat Chedi, the Elephant Trekking and the silk making places, what is there still to see?

I await responses.

[attachment=1:37h5ll0h]B&K_Elpht_2.jpg[/attachment:37h5ll0h][attachment=0:37h5ll0h]Monks_Fruit_Vendor_3.jpg[/attachment:37h5ll0h]

Smiles
November 16th, 2009, 08:40
" ... Wrong, Petch Kasem breath.....The ring road is probabably at least 7-10 miles long (basically stretching around the city from near the airport all the way back to Huay Kaew).... "
Bob, please read what I posted more carefully. I specifically mentioned it as the 'ring road' on the 'outside' of the moat (which you drive in one direction) ... as opposed to the 'inside-of-the-moat' which one drives in the opposite direction. I used the term "ring road" because I (1) don't know it's actual name and (2) I thought the description could easily be understood.
As the moat essentially 'rings' the Old Town of Chiang Mai. I thought describing the road which goes around the length of it as a "moat ring road" would suffice . . . except of course for those who don't read threads carefully.

November 16th, 2009, 09:05
Thanks for the restaurant reviews, Ken Jung.

But are there any MK Suki's in Chiang Mai? That's the only place I'll eat.

Khor tose
November 16th, 2009, 11:14
Another vote for Soho as a relaxed, quiet spot to rest or visit with folks. The owner was quite helpful with recommendations and directions and the staff were pleasant and friendly. NOT a place to go view a line-up but it qualifies for the "gay friendly" status some wearing blinders seem to insist on before visiting a new place.

Within a block on the same side of the street is another small cozy place to eat: Lemontree. The food got the seal of approval from both myself and my Thai friends. They're celebrating their 12th anniversary, so evidently are doing something right. The prices were certainly reasonable.

I agree about the lemontree being good to eat at. One nice thing about Soho bar is that if you are hungry you order from lemontrees menu and they deliver to Soho bar. There are several nice table to eat at in Soho and the atmosphere is much better.

Khor tose
November 16th, 2009, 11:18
Thanks for the restaurant reviews, Ken Jung.

One is located between lavender lanna and Soho bar. Enjoy.

November 16th, 2009, 12:11
[quote="Beach Bunny":17zy7hbb]Thanks for the restaurant reviews, Ken Jung.

One is located between lavender lanna and Soho bar. Enjoy.[/quote:17zy7hbb]

Wonderful! Thanks so much for that! It is reassuring to know that decent food is available in the North. Who knows what kind of atrocious things (khao soi, nam prik ong...ecch) one might be forced to eat otherwise out in the sticks.

Do you have any idea how far in advance they accept reservations? Do you think six months would be enough? I would hate to get there only to find it packed to the gills with ravening gourmands greedily consuming parboiled frozen treats.

Bob
November 16th, 2009, 13:19
" ... Wrong, Petch Kasem breath.....The ring road is probabably at least 7-10 miles long (basically stretching around the city from near the airport all the way back to Huay Kaew).... "
Bob, please read what I posted more carefully. I specifically mentioned it as the 'ring road' on the 'outside' of the moat (which you drive in one direction) ... as opposed to the 'inside-of-the-moat' which one drives in the opposite direction. I used the term "ring road" because I (1) don't know it's actual name and (2) I thought the description could easily be understood.
As the moat essentially 'rings' the Old Town of Chiang Mai. I thought describing the road which goes around the length of it as a "moat ring road" would suffice . . . except of course for those who don't read threads carefully.

Dammit, I'm going to go back to CMU to learn English (or at least Canadian English). Ok, Khun Thai Wai, I think the problem was that you referred to the "ring road." Ya see, there is a "ring road" that goes around Chiangmai, starting somewhere near the airport area and going northeast and circling the city (it comes to a conclusion at Huay Kuay road at the intersection where Nimmanhaemin starts to the south). That's what everybody here, including the Thais, refers to as the "ring road" although its also called the superhighway and is usually named that on maps (not the roads surrounding the moat of the old city - those roads have specific names although to learn those you'd actually have to look at a map. For example, the inside-the-moat road going by Taepae Gate and the Montri is named Moon Muang; however, the outside-the-moat road (which is one-way clockwise) on the east side there is split into two named roads: Chaiyaphum being the name of the part of that road north of Taepae Road and Kotchasarn being the name of the south leg.

I'd send ya a map but I'm sure you'd get lost anyway without Pot there to read it for you....hehe.

[But, now that I know where (withing 10 kilometers anyway) you're talking about, I'll make a special point of locating the ahaan tai you're talking about and find out it's name and address. Not today....but when I get around to it....]

Bob
November 16th, 2009, 13:29
I look forward to going back when Bob is in residence but sans his cold.

Almost entirely gone. Hell, I have my own personal ID card now to Chiangmai Ram hospital, having visited twice in the last 3 friggin' weeks! I do vouch for their cortizone shots for muscle spasms.......that's some really damn good stuff!

Chiangmai is actually pretty easy to get around and to understand where things are provided that you simply have a sense of direction. No matter where you are, look at the mountain and that's west. And, if you can't see the mountain, you're either blind or no where near Chiangmai!

However, if you're severely directionally challenged (as somebody I know from Hua Hin), you're probably better off taking a loaf of bread and spreading bread crumbs behind you......

Smiles
November 16th, 2009, 13:31
:laughing3: This from a man who pronounces Huai Kheao Rd (in Chiang Mai) as Hoowie Koowie Roodie.

Bob
November 16th, 2009, 13:37
:laughing3: This from a man who pronounces Huai Kheao Rd (in Chiang Mai) as Hoowie Koowie Roodie.

No way, Jose (well, I don't do it anymore.....it's better transliterated as Huay Gaew or Huay Kaew).

Hey, my CMU Teacher Aum says I have excellent diction. Then, again, given I can't hear shit, maybe she was making an anatomical observation.....

Khor tose
November 17th, 2009, 09:58
'Soho Bar'[/b]
Yes, relatively quiet and friendly drinking/conversation bar that's on the north side of Huay Kaew opposite the Chiangmai Orchid Hotel (which is 300 meters or so west of the mall known as Kad Suan Kaew or Centran). Polite and friendly staff and generally friendly customers. Gay-owned and staffed (but don't take that to mean they're "offable" as at least some are not).

I missed this one yesterday. Bob, none of the boys at Soho are offable. If they choose to date a customer it will be after the bar closes, on their own time. There are many boys who come into the bar to meet Farangs, but they have to buy themselves a drink, are not allowed to hassle customers. If they meet up with a custiomer who likes them, the bar has no interest nor receives no money from that connection. Soho is first and foremost a laid back neighborhood gay bar where newbies and residents sit and drink and engage in friendly conversation. It is not a go-go or host bar in any sense of the term.

Warning, I informed one of the boys (ALL OF WHOM HAVE COLLEGE EDUCATIONS AND SOME WHO ARE WORKING ON GRADUATE DEGREES) of your comments and I am sure they will all be waiting your next visit with drawn knives.
Enjoy. :hello2:

Bob
November 17th, 2009, 11:54
I informed one of the boys (ALL OF WHOM HAVE COLLEGE EDUCATIONS AND SOME WHO ARE WORKING ON GRADUATE DEGREES) of your comments and I am sure they will all be waiting your next visit with drawn knives.

Egads. I guess I said it wrong (I was just trying to say that nobody should assume the staff are "offable" just because it's a "gay bar"). But I'm not worried, they like me (which might be an indication of poor taste?)....
I'll be checking out the drawn knives tomorrow night during the anniversary party.

Khor tose
November 18th, 2009, 08:09
I informed one of the boys (ALL OF WHOM HAVE COLLEGE EDUCATIONS AND SOME WHO ARE WORKING ON GRADUATE DEGREES) of your comments and I am sure they will all be waiting your next visit with drawn knives.

Egads. I guess I said it wrong (I was just trying to say that nobody should assume the staff are "offable" just because it's a "gay bar"). But I'm not worried, they like me (which might be an indication of poor taste?)....
I'll be checking out the drawn knives tomorrow night during the anniversary party.

Bob the anniversary party is the 25th not the 18th!!!!!!!!

krobbie
November 18th, 2009, 08:57

Khor tose, it would seem that Bob a personal assistant to run his social diary and Smiles and I need seeing eye dogs. :glasses7: Could you see if you could track these down please?

Cheers
krobbie

krobbie
November 18th, 2009, 09:08
Chiangmai is actually pretty easy to get around and to understand where things are provided that you simply have a sense of direction. No matter where you are, look at the mountain and that's west. And, if you can't see the mountain, you're either blind or no where near Chiangmai!

However, if you're severely directionally challenged (as somebody I know from Hua Hin), you're probably better off taking a loaf of bread and spreading bread crumbs behind you......

:rolling: Mountain? I really must pay more attention.

I realise I must find a landmark and work everything around that, now that I know the mountain is west I am sure I shall have no problem .... much. Bobby is usually in hysterics whenever I try to make directional decisions. I can barely find my way around MBK let alone a new (to me) city, which is a bit tragic. I would like you to think I am just joking ... unfortunately not.

Cheers
krobbie

November 18th, 2009, 09:09
Smiles and I need seeing eye dogs

Well, that would explain Phot at least.

Bob
November 18th, 2009, 11:41

Khor tose, it would seem that Bob a personal assistant to run his social diary

Damn straight (although I probably shouldn't use that word here...). Since retiring earlier this year, I don't have a clue about what damn day it is let alone the date. And, yes, the party's next Wednesday (but, screw it, I'm going tonight anyway and claiming my chair for next Wednesday).

TrongpaiExpat
November 19th, 2009, 17:59
If this thread gets any more la-de-da it's going to be moved to the Ting and Tong forum. :hiding:

Brad the Impala
November 19th, 2009, 19:20
If this thread gets any more la-de-da it's going to be moved to the Ting and Tong forum. :hiding:

Accurate, and made me chuckle!

Bob
November 19th, 2009, 22:57

Accurate, and made me chuckle!

Yep, fair assessment. On the other hand, a bit more enjoyable for me than having to wade through posts where people are calling each other every name in the book and spouting about topics they know diddley about. To each his own.....

November 19th, 2009, 23:50
On the other hand, a bit more enjoyable for me than having to wade through posts where people are calling each other every name in the book and spouting about topics they know diddley about.

Agreed - maybe if you read your own posts more thoroughly you would be less likely to post such .45 calibre (http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/forum/gay-thailand/another-suicide-t17886-15.html?hilit=caliber#p18087) crap on subjects you "know diddley about".

Bob
November 20th, 2009, 06:21
The usual suspects have nothing better to do than attempt to dumb down a thread into one of their juvenile cat fights.

November 21st, 2009, 22:59
The usual suspects ...

Mirror, mirror on the wall .....