PDA

View Full Version : Gay Friendly Hotel Required In Luang Prabang

November 12th, 2009, 01:29
Anyone know of any hotels in Luang Prabang that are tolerant of guests? (ie Moneyboys & the like)

Smiles
November 12th, 2009, 08:55
Anyone know of any hotels in Luang Prabang that are tolerant of guests?
I'd venture a guess that they all are. :thumbleft: :alc:

Brad the Impala
November 12th, 2009, 14:33
Actually we had to bribe the gateman at our hotel to allow us to take young gentlemen back, and promise that they wouldn't stay overnight. It may just have been coincidence, but we did find that the gentlemen of Luang Prabang, surely the gayest place on earth, had the smallest penises available to mankind.

In all other respects I could recommend our hotel, the Phousi, centrally located, reasonably priced, and for those easily amused, it affords unusual phonetic entertainment, as in:

"That's enough Phousi for today, I am going out now"

"Where are you going?" "I am heading for the Phousi"

"I am going to stay by the Phousi pool"

et al

November 14th, 2009, 02:50
I don't mind a modest bribe to the gateman. It's when he phones the local police & they want a very large donation that the problems arise.

How much does it take to buy off the gateman? I'm thinking $2 probably exceeds the gdp per capita there....

Brad the Impala
November 14th, 2009, 06:03
The bribe was very modest, a trifle that may not have reached $2!

gearguy
November 15th, 2009, 21:18
Utopia is always a good first place to start. here's their listing for
accomodations in Laos:

http://www.utopia-asia.com/acclaos.htm

Here's the ones that Purple Dragon uses:
Ancient Luang Prabang
Grand Hotel
La Residence Phou Vao
Sala Prabang
Three Nagas

I've stayed at Sala Prabang, in the center of town right on the Mekong and within easy walking distance to
many resturants, Mount Phousi, and the only gay bar on town (at least when I was there).
Nice cafe across the street overlooking the Mekong.

No problem with having overnight guests.

here's some pics of my trip in 2007:
[attachment=2:1pimw4d0]DCP_0541.JPG[/attachment:1pimw4d0][attachment=0:1pimw4d0]DCP_0545.JPG[/attachment:1pimw4d0][attachment=1:1pimw4d0]Monks in Luang Prabang.jpg[/attachment:1pimw4d0]

November 15th, 2009, 23:44
Thanks for the advice. I checked the room rates (high season, min advertised, double):

Ancient Luang Prabang $75
Grand Hotel $120
La Residence Phou Vao $231
Sala Prabang $65
Three Nagas $125++
Aspara $70

I might be quite happy to pay $65 in Europe.

However in the poorer parts of SE Asia one can normally get a clean pleasant double for half that, often in quite an elegant guesthouse.
Any ideas in the up to $45 range (preferably $30 or less) ?

gearguy
November 16th, 2009, 02:37
I would check out agoda.com and see what's listed there.

http://www.agoda.com/asia/laos/luang_pr ... 5QodIWqAqA (http://www.agoda.com/asia/laos/luang_prabang.html?type=1&cid=1410091&url=http://www.agoda.com/asia/laos/luang_prabang.html&tag=56e584ef-3d46-49a6-8a5a-f6130e422e79&gclid=CMjfrsPtjZ4CFR9N5QodIWqAqA)

Villa Senesouk Hote looks interesting; on the utopia site they mention the thatsaphone villa
but no prices on their website: http://www.thatsaphonevilla.com/

In any case, do let the forum know what hotel you selected and your impressions of the stay as that will
help future visitors.

I might suggest, that is you are interested in a tour guide while there, Douk is a great guy and he may be handy for
advice on where to book that is gay friendly as well as gay clubs, locations, etc.

there use to a gay pub (owned by a swede and his lao bf) on the other side of Mt Phousi that was the popular hangout for lao boys, but I don't see it listed on a couple of sites, so maybe it has closed. I don;t recall it's name; anyone else recall the name,
and if it is still open?

November 16th, 2009, 07:58
I might be quite happy to pay $65 in Europe.

Last of the big spenders...

December 14th, 2009, 06:24
There have been several reports about thatsaphone villa having a thief problem. I have read several of these posts including one on Utopia.

Beachlover
December 29th, 2009, 18:08
Actually we had to bribe the gateman at our hotel to allow us to take young gentlemen back, and promise that they wouldn't stay overnight. It may just have been coincidence, but we did find that the gentlemen of Luang Prabang, surely the gayest place on earth, had the smallest penises available to mankind.
l

LOL... Really?... I thought Laotians are closely related to Isaan boys... and most Isaan boys I've been with are fairly well hung.

Also... why is Luang Prabang sure the gayest place on Earth?.... I didn't know it had this reputation.

Brad the Impala
December 30th, 2009, 12:41
While in Luang Prabang, and before that in Vientiane on the same trip, my bf and I hooked up with four or five guys, and they all had much smaller than average cocks, to the extent that "Lao Cock" entered our mutual vocabulary! As a survey, the statistical sample was way too small, but...............that was our experience.

Regarding the number of gay guys in Luang Prabang, we just met so many guys who described themselves as gay there, and they all said that they had been born there. While you might meet a lot of gay guys in urban/tourist centres like Pattaya or Patong, you find that most of them come from somewhere else.

pong
December 31st, 2009, 17:47
[/quote]

LOL... Really?... I thought Laotians are closely related to Isaan boys... and most Isaan boys I've been with are fairly well hung.

Also... why is Luang Prabang sure the gayest place on Earth?.... I didn't know it had this reputation.[/quote]

No dear-it is a little diferent-much to my surprise initially too. Well its true that a lot of Laos and isan are related, the LPr area/people seem much more related to the northern Thai-think Chiang mai/Rai. In fact;; this is just like CMai in the (you choose 70ies, 80 ies) was often heard and felt. And this, yes indeed, also applies to the general gayness of the population.

January 18th, 2010, 02:02
Replying to the original question, Mekong View hotel can be considered gay friendly. You are allowed to have a guest on condition that you register him/her. No problems at all and you don't have to pay anything.
The hotel is overall good enough, although a little bit overpriced.