PDA

View Full Version : Pattaya during Songkran, traffic.

November 8th, 2009, 19:09
My next trip is April 11-17th. I had someone tell me that it'll be difficult to get from Pattaya to the airport on the evening of the 17th. Can those of you that have been there for a few years comment on that?

I'd rather go to Pattaya than stay in Bangkok but I can't do that if I'm likely to miss my flight. :)

Irish1972
November 8th, 2009, 22:22
It depends what time you leave for the Airport, where you are staying and, if it is after dark.

Why you would want to be in Pattaya for Songkran is another thing, Pattaya is a bit extreme

November 8th, 2009, 22:36
It depends what time you leave for the Airport, where you are staying and, if it is after dark.

I have a room booked in BoyzTown and am looking for advice on the other factors.

It might be a bit extreme, which is why I'm weighing my options and looking for opinions. I could also stay in Bangkok and Mr Dream is offering an excursion to Isaan. What I've read is that Bangkok empties out and there isn't much going on other than at Khao San Road.

Irish1972
November 8th, 2009, 22:46
Songkran in Pattaya tends to go on and on and on, I think next year the dates are from the 13th to the 15th but in Pattaya that will probably run until the 17th or 18th. I don't like Pattaya during the festival, I don't mind the water and getting into the spirit of things but instead of a splash of water expect a bucket.

If it is after dark when you set off for the airport I dont see much issue with traffic, I imagine the Sunday 18th will be a nightmare day out around Jomtien. I am not there to check, got back to Europe last week and will not be back to Thailand until close to Christmas.

November 8th, 2009, 22:50
If it is after dark when you set off for the airport I dont see much issue with traffic

That's what I was thinking. My flight is very early on the 18th so I was planning to schedule a taxi for 10pm or later on the 17th. Songkran is officially the 18-20th in Pattaya but I assume that people have the 13-15th as a holiday, like the rest of the country.

November 8th, 2009, 23:14
Anyone who wants to be in Thailand during Songkran needs their head testing. You will find most Falangs that live here either bolt the door and wait it out at home or escape abroad. You only have to look up the number of Thai's killed during that holiday period to realise just how out of hand and dangerous it is, especially on the roads......

:hello1:

Irish1972
November 8th, 2009, 23:20
Yes I think mostly Pattaya though? I am led to believe by some local friends that other parts of the country are not as extreme as Pattaya, is this true?

November 8th, 2009, 23:47
About five years ago, I expressed my anger to a 27 yr old Thai half-wit who had thrown ice water on me from his pick up truck stationed outside Royal Garden Mall. His brilliant response was, "If you don't like it , why come to Thailand during Songkran". I was trying to tell him that ordinary water in reasonable amounts was acceptable, but in the end he was right. You don't like idotic behavior by both Thais and farangs - ? - then don't be in Thailand during Songkran. You might be able to find some places in the countryside where they don't use ice water and high powered water guns, where everyone knows one another, and where Songkran is a more friendly affair. I guess that's where I would head if I had to be in Thailand at that time. I have not spent another Songkran in the kingdom sinde that ice water incident five year ago.

November 9th, 2009, 00:06
It got so out of hand that the mayor of Bangkok 5 odd years ago tried to ban it, and only allow the mindless activity in certain designated areas of the city.

Songkran itself, before the onset of iced water, powerful water cannons etc. was an event where the young delicately poured water over the hand of elders to wish them well...........

:hello1:

colmx
November 9th, 2009, 01:13
mlonker:
You are missing out on the best days of Songkran in Pattaya...

The 18th and 19th are the best days to be there!

You will have no traffic problems in the evening of the 17th... In pattaya
But may run into traffic difficulties around Chonburi

I suggest you prolong your trip till the 20th... you won't regret it... as long are you are willing to join in the fun! :sign3: :sign3:

November 9th, 2009, 04:41
The 18th and 19th are the best days to be there!

I believe it but I'm the days that I chose were the only ones with affordable airfare (Delta wanted at least 50% more for every other combination that I looked at).

As far as those of you that hate Songkran...I was planning to pack nothing but swimsuits and zip-lock bags. :rolling:

cdnmatt
November 9th, 2009, 04:57
I've only been to one Songkran festival (in Pattaya) about 3 years ago, and it was a blast. I was in Ubud, Bali, hoping to spend at least 60 days there, but after 4 days of having a good six people look around for a place which has internet access, only finding some private house with a dial-up connection, I got freaked, and booked it to Thailand.

I arrived in Pattaya the day before Songkran, without having any clue about the festival. Next morning I wake up, and grab my laptop to head to an internet cafe to check e-mail. The lady comes rushing out, "No! no! Can not take laptop out!". She was talking about some water thing, but I didn't know what the hell she was going on about, so I told her not to worry about it. With her continued persistence though, I decided it might be best to leave my laptop in her office, before I hit the streets.

About 6 seconds after hitting the streets, I found out why. :-) Turned out to be an absolutely amazing day, and one I'm sure I'll remember for a long time.

November 9th, 2009, 08:18
It looks like it's just the old farts like myself who are anti-Songkran. OK, young guys, bring your bathing suits and zip lock bags and enjoy the event. :happy7:

TrongpaiExpat
November 9th, 2009, 09:14
But may run into traffic difficulties around Chonburi

If your going to the airport you should take Rt 7 not Rt 3 through, near or around Chonburi. There should not be a problem.

Patexpat
November 9th, 2009, 10:37
Songkran in Pattaya is a pain - can't do any business for a week, so I stock up with nice things from Friendship and have a relaxing time at home for the week. EXCEPT for the last day when I will go out and play - which IS great fun, meet up with Thai and falang friends, drink and have a fun time! SO if you are here for Songkran DON'T miss the last day in Jomtien!

Beachlover
November 9th, 2009, 14:51
I arrived in Pattaya the day before Songkran, without having any clue about the festival. Next morning I wake up, and grab my laptop to head to an internet cafe to check e-mail. The lady comes rushing out, "No! no! Can not take laptop out!". She was talking about some water thing, but I didn't know what the hell she was going on about, so I told her not to worry about it. With her continued persistence though, I decided it might be best to leave my laptop in her office, before I hit the streets.

About 6 seconds after hitting the streets, I found out why. :-)

LOL... classic, "listen to the locals" story.

I think a day or two of Songkran would be great fun... not sure if I could take 6 days of it though lol.

Beachlover
November 9th, 2009, 14:53
LOL... this article is hilarious:

http://www.notthenation.com/pages/news/ ... php?id=486 (http://www.notthenation.com/pages/news/getnews.php?id=486)

Cryptosporidium and E.Coli Germs Planning тАЬBest Songkran EverтАЭ

Water-borne bacteria, viruses preparing for annual transmission free-for-all among Thai revelers with record goal of 10 million infections

BANGKOK -- The arrival of another Thai New Year is always a time of celebration for the Kingdom, whether itтАЩs rural families looking forward to reunions with loved ones and a traditional blessing ceremony or young people and fun-seeking tourists who plan to party for three days straight in the social centers of Bangkok and Chiang Mai.

ItтАЩs also a time of great renewal, especially for the indigenous populations of water-borne human pathogenic bacteria and viruses, who look forward to the annual April festive season as their best chance of the year to find new hosts and travel opportunities.

тАЬSongkran is a water-borne bacteriumтАЩs dream come true,тАЭ explained Sample B-X7845, a spokesbacterium for the Cryptosporidium Bacteria Union of Thailand. тАЬYouтАЩve got thousands of people gathered in small cramped places, soaking wet at temperatures between 29-42C, and all of them touching each otherтАЩs faces with their hands. From an infection point of view, it just doesnтАЩt get any easier.тАЭ

His sentiments were echoed by other members of the Cryptosporidium community, who often refer to the Songkran holiday as тАЬSurfing DayтАЭ because a single colony can reportedly travel through up to 45 hosts in a single hour.

Cryptosporidiasis, the disease caused by incubation of the bacteria in the gastrointestinal tract, results in cramping and severe diarrhea and can be fatal to those with compromised immune systems. Recent advancements in water treatment and hygiene, however, have retarded its spread by up to 80% in developed countries.

Yet it has proven stubborn in the tropics and Songkran is considered by epidemiologists to be the annual setback. тАЬYou think weтАЩre gone, but after 24 hours on Kao San Road, weтАЩre back, baby!тАЭ said B-X7845.

His enthusiasm is shared by other members of the Siamese pathogen community, including the Salmonella, Shigella, and E.Coli bacteria populations. Several viruses, including perennial party-goers Hepatitis A and Influenza, are reportedly also stepping up their Songkran celebration plans.

According to a press release by the H5N1 Society, a trade association representing the interests of highly contagious flu viruses, тАЬSongkran 2008 will be an historic event.тАЭ It has been speculated that the high price of fuel has canceled the travel plans of many in Bangkok, resulting in potentially larger parties of wet, face-sliming, drunkenly-immune-compromised people mashed together in hygienically apocalyptic conditions.

Various pathogenic organizations have already released optimistic projections for second-quarter infection growth rates, with many records expected to be broken. Cryptosporidium is hoping to break the 10 million-mark for the first time in Thai history.

тАЬIt would be a tipping point,тАЭ enthuses B-X7845. тАЬWith so many foreign tourists in Chiang Mai and Bangkok getting infected and carrying our members back to their home countries, this could well be the year we get back on the CDCтАЩs Top Ten List of water-borne threats to humanity. I get chills just thinking about it.тАЭ

Asked about the possible threat to its human citizens and any recommended preventative measures, the Thai Health Ministry responded by reminding everyone that girls should dress modestly and that boys should behave politely.

November 9th, 2009, 20:50
lol @Beachlover. Since Pattaya officially celebrates from the 18-20th, I might be better off staying in Bangkok since I'll only be there until the 17th.

I'm exchanging emails with my friend in Bangkok to figure out what makes the most sense, and whether he can get time away from work to join me. I emailed Le Cafe Royale and they thought I'd be fine with transport on the 17th, only the 19th seems to be a problem.

I appreciate the input..

November 9th, 2009, 23:49
The question of traffic during Songkran has been covered at length several times here, in considerable detail.

You should note:

Songkran is the worst time for a sex tourist to come to Thailand as most people (particularly the boys, many of whom have to attend the draw for military conscription) go home.

Songkran is not "officially the 18-20th in Pattaya". It is the 18th in Naklua, 19th in Pattaya and 20th in Sattahip and the traffic and festivities very clearly reflect that.

Next year (2010), 17 April is a Saturday so Pattaya's "festivities" will probably last for four days instead of two (or 8 instead of 3, depending on how you look at it) and traffic will be affected accordingly.

November 10th, 2009, 01:56
The question of traffic during Songkran has been covered at length several times here, in considerable detail.

Unlike you, I'm not on this forum year-round. As always, feel free to not respond to my posts if it is too much trouble.

Songkran is the worst time for a sex tourist to come to Thailand as most people (particularly the boys, many of whom have to attend the draw for military conscription) go home.

I have a friend that was born in Bangkok so that is home...will either stay there to see him or take him along.

Songkran is not "officially the 18-20th in Pattaya". It is the 18th in Naklua, 19th in Pattaya and 20th in Sattahip and the traffic and festivities very clearly reflect that.

That was the most detail that I could find on Google, so thanks for the update.

Next year (2010), 17 April is a Saturday so Pattaya's "festivities" will probably last for four days instead of two (or 8 instead of 3, depending on how you look at it) and traffic will be affected accordingly.

I was only concerned whether taxis would not take fares, not whether things are a little hectic. If the big day is the 19th then it should be passable on the 17th.

November 11th, 2009, 17:48

Unlike you, I'm not on this forum year-round.

The forum search engine is also "on this forum year-round"!

November 11th, 2009, 22:39
The forum search engine is also "on this forum year-round"!

I was told that Songkran was cancelled in Pattaya last year. There's a limit to how useful 2 yr old information would be even if I was going to Europe...in Thailand things change a bit more frequently.

November 12th, 2009, 03:34
Elaborating on what Mlomker was saying, myself, and one of the other large firms for certain shutdown all pickups to/from Pattaya during a 2 day window in our case, and a 3-4 day window in my friends company's case.

The amount of time it takes us to get through traffic in Pattaya, just financially makes the trips not worthwhile for us to do for the money, and we are not going to raise our rates to suit the holiday. I suggest anyone booking taxis for Songkran, make sure that the companies will be operating on both the times coming in, and departing from Pattaya.

Expect the prices on meter cabs, and companies operating during that time to be 15-20% higher, to allow for the extra fuel, and extra time involved on each pickup. While it is true that early morning and late night the traffic will not be as bad, most companies that have raised their prices for the event, will not give price breaks regardless of the time of day. For those in town traveling during the daylight hours, I would recommend using one of the bus companies, or even hiring a private minibus for groups of 3-4 or more people if you can arrange it.

For those of us who live here, I personally decided to move to BKK, as its much more of a laid back place for my son, and our family. During Songkran, we usually head up north to the family house though, as many friends with businesses in Patts/Jomtien, usually use this time of year to go visit family back home overseas.

Just don't let people take advantage of you, because there will be fewer companies operating at the time, or at least at reasonable rates. As we get close to the festival, I will check with my friends to see what companies are still running at reasonable costs, and put the contact info up here for them. After all, because I choose to take a few company holidays during that time, doesn't mean that I should deprive you guys of a fair price from another company that is working through those times.