PDA

View Full Version : Car reental in Pattaya

November 6th, 2009, 08:28
Anyone know a good car rental place in Pattaya? I need to rent a car for the month of January.

Thanks.

Patexpat
November 6th, 2009, 10:28
Try Mata car rent - run by a couple of gay guys ... sexy too in my opinion! 0863825155. I use them when we need an additional vehicle for whatever reason ...

Patexpat
November 8th, 2009, 14:31
The only place to rent a car in Pattaya are the very English company you can trust, over 200 cars trucks and many more.

http://www.qcars-pattaya.com/

Really? So you say I can't trust the company and individuals I have dealt with and known personally for over 5 years?

TrongpaiExpat
November 8th, 2009, 22:27

Expensive. I get a new Honda Jazz for 680 per day from Budget, Qcars lists the price at 1,400 per day.

November 8th, 2009, 22:32
But qcars is the only one you can trust.

Budget will likely slit your throat and throw you into a klong after you rent from them.

TrongpaiExpat
November 9th, 2009, 09:38
[quote="let me tell u":34rdo47r]

Expensive. I get a new Honda Jazz for 680 per day from Budget, Qcars lists the price at 1,400 per day.

You must know by now I do my Home work before I write on an open forum, never to be caught out with lies as you constantly are, I phoned Budget Pattaya and they refered me to this link and confirmed the price as more exspensive then qcars.

https://www.budget.co.th/BudgetWebSite/CarShowList.aspx[/quote:34rdo47r]

I guess I was not detailed enough and you missed the "I get" OK, what I do is buy rental vouchers at Bangkok travel fairs. The price is 680 for a Honda Jazz and for every 5 I buy I get one free. You do the math or is that as bad as your spelling and grammar. The internet prices are higher and fluctuate like the airlines prices, calling sometimes results in a higher price but I doubt you really called Budget. Avis generally matches Budget prices.

I am not pushing Budget. Certainly compare all the rental options and make an informed choice. Also, check the extras and insurance costs. All the major rental companies generally deliver and pick up and the tank is full, you return it full. Some of the independents will give you a half full or nearly empty and expect you to return it with the same amount of fuel and that's not always easy to do.

Patexpat
November 9th, 2009, 10:25
You must know by now I do my Home work before I write on an open forum, never to be caught out with lies,

Priceless!!

November 9th, 2009, 14:14
You must know by now I do my Home work before I write on an open forum, never to be caught out with lies, as you constantly are, I phoned Budget Pattaya and they refered me to this link and confirmed the price as more exspensive then qcars.

He's back to normal...........Gloom!

:hello1:

November 9th, 2009, 16:09
You guys are ruthless... :violent1: i think i'll just buy a bike. LOL

Patexpat
November 9th, 2009, 16:17
Actually Tree Cutter, if you have never driven in Thailand before, best stick to public transport - the differences between driving here and say UK or States is huge ... my friend insisted he knew better and hired a car for 5 days on his first visit. After three days he gave it back. When asked why, he said that e had seen all he wanted to see ... his gf quietly told us he was scared s***less to drive any more (this was in Phuket, by the way).

And don't, PLEASE don't hire a motor bike!

November 9th, 2009, 16:33
I have no choice. I am a real estate broker and we will be marketing Thailand property in the States. I will have to travel to a lot of different parts of the country this trip. Maybe I can rent a car and put tires all around it like a tug boat...LOL

November 9th, 2009, 17:09
I have no choice. I am a real estate broker and we will be marketing Thailand property in the States. I will have to travel to a lot of different parts of the country this trip. Maybe I can rent a car and put tires all around it like a tug boat...LOL

A car with a driver will not cost you much more, and if you haven't experienced driving in let us say countries with a more relaxed way of issuing full driving licenses, especially to truck drivers who take 'substances' to stay awake then this should be a choice worth looking into. Other than that if you wish to drive yourself then only hire from a reputable firm such as Avis etc. so that you can be assured of the right insurance and back up in case of an accident......

TrongpaiExpat
November 9th, 2009, 19:43
I see in the Bangkok Post today an advertisement for Avis, 599 per day. I suspect there's some hidden unmentioned extras but the add just says: "starting at 599 per day"

November 9th, 2009, 20:48
I see in the Bangkok Post today an advertisement for Avis, 599 per day. I suspect there's some hidden unmentioned extras but the add just says: "starting at 599 per day"

but can u trust an unknown, fly-by-night operation like Avis?

November 9th, 2009, 21:31

Unless they have changed over the years. I alwayed used the office just past the British Embassy grounds on Wireless Road in Bangkok. They met you at the airport with car and vice versa. On one trip I was staying with a bf's family right in the sticks near the Cambodian Border and the car was written off by a drunk driver. Avis came out from Bangkok with a replacement car no problem so I have no compliants with them....................

TrongpaiExpat
November 9th, 2009, 21:45

Unless they have changed over the years. I alwayed used the office just past the British Embassy grounds on Wireless Road in Bangkok. They met you at the airport with car and vice versa. On one trip I was staying with a bf's family right in the sticks near the Cambodian Border and the car was written off by a drunk driver. Avis came out from Bangkok with a replacement car no problem so I have no compliants with them....................

Yes they are still on Wireless Road but most taxi drivers know the road as Witthayu. Most of the road signs now call it Witthayu. It's on the right going North.

I guess dave's little dig at let me throw up went over your head.

November 9th, 2009, 22:23
Nope, I twigged the dig :D I just wanted to mention Avis because after rental experience going back to '87 time I've known and heard of so many vistors getting fleeced by using budget (sounds like a good deal) local rental firms only to find out when it's too late that the insurance doesn't cover all that they thought it might.......
It won't be long before our favorite teacher comes back with another 'well kept secret' about it all, and tells us we should be living with mother..............

Brad the Impala
November 9th, 2009, 22:37
I guess dave's little dig at let me throw up went over your head.

I think that Dave can often be a little too dry for many here. I have always enjoyed the understated.

Alaan
November 10th, 2009, 00:00
Treecutter........the good thing about a forum is that not everyone agrees on everything and you can get varied relpies and advice........and that is why i will suggest you ignore the advice of Patexpat of going public transport rather than driving yourself ..................

Whether you are at the wheel or not.......you still have to use the roads if in taxi, bus or motocy........in otherwords you are still at the mercy of other roadusers....if you are the one driving at least you can make some choices that your Thai driver of whatever mode of transport might not make......you can drive defensively without too much problems in Thailand....

At one time when i first came to thailand i was very wary of driving here.....but at first when hiring i just made sure i paid the extra Bt100-bt150 per day for full insurance with waiver.........no matter whose fault and no matter what damage.... it gives peace of mind that you wont be conned for a fortune if you do have the misfortune to have a knock. I've now been driving in Thailand for about 5 years and drive all over...even drive to the Tarntawan in Suriwong and in Pattaya.....and have driven from as far south as Hua Hin and as far north as Chiang Mai.....all over Issan and have found some wonderful places i would never have found going only by public transport.

The only thing that makes it fairly easy for me is that the Thais drive on the same side of the road as UK......maybe if from usa and having to cope with a change from LH drive....could make things slightly more tricky...but my advice would be to drive an automatic car first so you dont need to concern yourself with the gear stick as well as the many other distractions.......

I usually drive a pick-up or 4x4 in Thailand especially good for long journeys....but my last visit to Phuket with my bf recently we hired a Honda Jazz from Nine Car rent just beside the airport....and the freedom it gave us for our 4-day trip was great and absolutely no close calls......

Once again i have to say that if you drive defensively and leave the motocys to be the ones to get out of the way it is amazing how easy it gets in cities or the like of Patong and Pattaya...on the open road always give way to anything bigger than you......

The only real hassle is getting stopped by police for nothing more than giving them a donation.

And contrary to the advise of Sanook....in my opinion avoid Hertz/Avis/budget i have checked out many prices of different types of vehicles and have always found that a recommended independent local car hire firm is the way to go. Always cheaper and seem to have the best needs of the customer in mind for repeat business....I have used Nine Car in Phket every time and always consistant and very friendly nothing too much bother. Don't be misled by the claim that only the Avis/Buget/national operators are the only ones able to offer full cover...all of the independent operators i have used have everything that the nationals have....i would say that the most important thing is getting recommendations from guys who have actually used a specific car rental firm...dont just choose one based on advertisment claims...national operator nor not.

Fortunately now i borrow my Thai friends pick-up and pay extra insurance to cover all eventualities.....but you are doing the right thing by asking around...as i have already said go with recommendation of good local firms rather than the national operaters.....many of the independent car hire firms are owned and run by farangs or have farang management as the one did in Pattaya i used to use all the time before my thai friend bought his pick-up and found them excellent to deal with...and also they are less restricted with the set fixed price lists that the nationals seem to work from and are therefore very open to negotiation if you hire for a week or more at a time.
Just my 2 Baht worth from my experience.

November 12th, 2009, 03:58
I personally would not rent a car from Pattaya or central BKK for that matter. These are tourist areas, so the prices are going to be much higher, then if you say arranged a car rental from a company in rural BKK, or even possibly some of the rental places in Jomtien, which I believe some are very reasonably priced, and some are more on the expensive side. I have to have one of my cars put in the shop, and need to rent a car to replace that during time, I have been to large companies, and as soon as they see a falang, the price jumps over 1000b a day. I ended up going to a used car dealership, and just for kicks asked if they would be willing to rent me a car for a week while mine was in the shop. 4k baht for 10 days. Don't be afraid to check used dealerships, as I think many of them would rather rent a car and make a few baht, especially with the slower season having just passed.

Hiring a driver with a car by the day, if you are able to rent a car for around 700baht a day, with a hired driver, at best you would be able to find someone for maybe 1200-1500 per day plus fuel and tolls. So in this case, it would be a substantial savings over the course of a month.

November 12th, 2009, 12:54
Good advice from everyone. Thank You all.

November 25th, 2009, 15:04
www.man-goes.net (http://www.man-goes.net) have a Camry and Fortuna which they rent at reasonable cost. Contact K. Ping