PDA

View Full Version : Harry Potter's adolescence

April 11th, 2006, 12:41
For film buffs

April 11th, 2006, 17:17
How dare they bump off Cedric! If any-one should've gone it was spotty himself. Do they really think spotty is going to keep his bug eyed cute whatever looks forever, already his nose is starting to buldge. Cedric could have easily taken on the role as a far beter looking teenager spotty.
Then again I am biased.

I cant help but think Cedric will return. :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: meantime he is off to Bangkok for Easter.

Cedric

April 11th, 2006, 17:57
I think it's because he's outgrown (Hair in the wrong...'place') the chicken hawks--And is now in (stiff) competition with the 'under' classmen.

April 11th, 2006, 19:45
Edith I see you also went to boarding school. Hair in the right places you mean. I've only been out three years I should know.

April 13th, 2006, 09:23
I've only been out three years I should know.School or the closet? Evelyn Waugh used to take people to lunch in crowded restaurants, get a table in the middle of the room, produce a huge ear trumpet and ask in a loud voice "Was there much sodomy at your school?" But then I guess you're too young to have heard of Evelyn Waugh

cottmann
April 13th, 2006, 09:37
I've only been out three years I should know.School or the closet? Evelyn Waugh used to take people to lunch in crowded restaurants, get a table in the middle of the room, produce a huge ear trumpet and ask in a loud voice "Was there much sodomy at your school?" But then I guess you're too young to have heard of Evelyn Waugh

From Waugh's Diary for July 11, 1924
"Chris [Hollis] turned up in the morning and told me a good story.
Mr. Justice Phillimore was trying a sodomy case and brooded greatly whether his judgment had been right.
He went to consult [former Lord Chancellor] Birkenhead. 'Excuse me, my lord, but could you tell meтАФWhat do your think one ought to give a man who allows himself to be buggered?'
'Oh, 30s or ┬г2тАФanything you happen to have on you.'"

Another Waugh quote: "Impotence and sodomy are socially O.K. but birth control is flagrantly middle-class.''

April 13th, 2006, 09:40
'Oh, 30s or ┬г2тАФanything you happen to have on you.'
Dammit, I've been misquoting that story for years. I thought it was guineas

April 13th, 2006, 12:24
Of course I know who Evelyn Waugh was. Homintern do you think every-one under 30 cannot read? I am more familiar with Auberon Waugh, mostly from the countless dusty "Literary Reviews" stacked in our library shelves. Better than comics they are!

April 13th, 2006, 19:42
Of course I know who Evelyn Waugh was. Homintern do you think every-one under 30 cannot read? I am more familiar with Auberon Waugh, mostly from the countless dusty "Literary Reviews" stacked in our library shelves. Better than comics they are!
Ah yes, dear Auberon. He who named Pope John Paul I as Ringo I (whose successor naturally became Ringo II). No, I don't think everyone under 30 cannot read, but I understood your leisure pursuits (when not showering with Australian tennis players in their undies) consisted of watching reality television programmes. Then again, if the Literary Reviews are dusty, are they being read? "Our Library" - this was at Slough Comprehensive was it?

April 24th, 2006, 09:21
Yes even after I have spent ten days in Thailand Homintern still irritates. I never lived in Slough or went to school there, the furthest I ventured its way was to heathrow airport. The only connection I have with Britain is having lived in Kensington for four years and mostly only on school holidays, that and having some close though unmemorable English relatives from the decrepit home counties. As far as I am concerned and my passport tells me, I am European.

The "our" library is our library, not difficult to understand is it? The room where one keeps ones books. The literary reviews are dusty because I read em when I was in my early teens, since our family moved to this part of the world they no longer subscribe.

As far as television goes here, reality tv programs are about as good as it gets. Unless you want to count O.C and various job lots from Canada and New-Zealand.

April 24th, 2006, 15:05
Since this thread has gone from the ridiculous to the sublime: kiddie flics to telly to the literary....

13 Steps Down - Ruth Rendell
The Lighthouse - P. D. James

I highly recommend both as great cures for insomnia. Make sure to apply your sunscreen before reading at the beach, wouldn't want anyone to crash and burn.

BTW: Some of you O.F.'s (Older fellows.) may remember Reginald Christie: a serial killer executed in England about 50 years ago for potting prostitutes in his garden; recalled in the Rendell tome. Why she bothered? Maybe longing for the good old--Hang-em-high--days?

cottmann
April 24th, 2006, 15:18
BTW: Some of you O.F.'s (Older fellows.) may remember Reginald Christie: a serial killer executed in England about 50 years ago for potting prostitutes in his garden; recalled in the Rendell tome. Why she bothered? Maybe longing for the good old--Hang-em-high--days?

Maybe she just likes a well-hung guy?

lonelywombat
April 24th, 2006, 16:29
Many years ago I read a book that to me was the very first hint of homosexuality

I often wondered what the novel was and who wrote it.

Seeing Evelyn Waugh mentioned, makes me wonder if it might have been one of his books.

For all those students of fine English literature can you help me

April 24th, 2006, 16:37
Thank-you for those tips Edith, I will read The lighthouse on my horribly long flight to Amsterdam in June. I cant say I have really got into "cremies" but its about time. I stupidly took A suitable boy-Vikram Seth on holliday, while its very nicely written and all that it weighs a ton and I only read 365 pages of it before dumping it, in favour of having a holliday.

April 24th, 2006, 16:53
Many years ago I read a book that to me was the very first hint of homosexuality. I often wondered what the novel was and who wrote it. Seeing Evelyn Waugh mentioned, makes me wonder if it might have been one of his books. For all those students of fine English literature can you help me

Maybe Brideshead Revisited?
For many of us who are, of a...certain...age; it was The City and the Pillar (Gore Vidal) or something by Mary Renault: The Last of the Wine; the King Must Die; The Bull From the Sea; The Persian Boy...for others it was Batman and Robin.

cottmann
April 25th, 2006, 05:54
Many years ago I read a book that to me was the very first hint of homosexuality. I often wondered what the novel was and who wrote it. Seeing Evelyn Waugh mentioned, makes me wonder if it might have been one of his books. For all those students of fine English literature can you help me

Maybe Brideshead Revisited?
For many of us who are, of a...certain...age; it was The City and the Pillar (Gore Vidal) or something by Mary Renault: The Last of the Wine; the King Must Die; The Bull From the Sea; The Persian Boy...for others it was Batman and Robin.

For me, definitely "The City and the Pillar!"

April 25th, 2006, 19:12
Noddy and BigEars, surely? Or possibly the story of David and Jonathan?

April 26th, 2006, 09:37
I thought the bible was homo-erotic, Sunday school certainly was. Did any-one else play that boys game where you put a hole in the bottom of a box and the oldest boy stuck his knob through the bottom and sat the box on his lap and then every-one in turn reached in through the closed box to have a good feel and a guess as to what object lay within? Or is this only a C of E game?

April 26th, 2006, 10:43
The things you got up to at Slough Comprehensive, Cedric dear boy

April 26th, 2006, 16:49
I cant find any reference to Slough comprehensive on the net, though I am sure it must be a jolly nice little school.

April 26th, 2006, 19:06
I cant find any reference to Slough comprehensive on the net, though I am sure it must be a jolly nice little school.How interesting - we are now finding out the limits of your abilities and the much-vaunted "we know more at our age than you ever did when you were the same age" boast of a previous post. And at least we've discovered where you didn't go to school

http://www.orwelltoday.com/etonstudentorwell.shtml

April 26th, 2006, 19:46
Did any-one else play that boys game where you put a hole in the bottom of a box and the oldest boy stuck his knob through the bottom and sat the box on his lap and then every-one in turn reached in through the closed box to have a good feel and a guess as to what object lay within? Or is this only a C of E game?

You C of E guys!
We used a barrel, with a knot hole--A new kid had to get in the barrel, drop his knickers and...and...and....
Dumb Pearl tried to fool `em.
Damn near got her eye poked out!
Twenty-two times.

April 27th, 2006, 09:49
Ouch! A little hot tip Edith, cardboard boxes are more forgiving and manoeuvrable. Or do what the Catholics do and dispense with any kind of containment.

April 27th, 2006, 17:33
Ouch! A little hot tip Edith, cardboard boxes are more forgiving and manoeuvrable. Or do what the Catholics do and dispense with any kind of containment.

"Dispense with any kind of containment!"
Why do you think confessionals have those...little...sliding...doors. :tongue9:

April 27th, 2006, 17:47
I think that's probably a Papal Dispensation