PDA

View Full Version : Movie DVDs

October 31st, 2009, 23:04
Members may be interested in knowing that DVDs were much in evidence on Silom tonight; there were a couple of stands directly outside California Fitness. The new pavement on Silom is already breaking up on the Convent Rd corner near California Fitness. My guess is that this may have as much to do with the water table under Bangkok being quite near the surface than with any sub-standard workmanship or heavy foot traffic.

Koh Samui Luv
October 31st, 2009, 23:50
The new pavement on Silom is already breaking up on the Convent Rd corner near California Fitness. My guess is that this may have as much to do with the water table under Bangkok being quite near the surface than with any sub-standard workmanship or heavy foot traffic.

Bangkok is built on a mudflat. It is more likely that the pavements are breaking up due to the fact that the city is sinking and for a variety of reasons. It's something that has been known for a long time now and I first learned of it when the Thai government called in Dutch hydraulic experts to study the matter and make suggestions in the early 1980s. Their suggestion was to move the city to a more appropriate location.

It's in the news frequently. Here's an article from earlier this year with a nice animated graphic:
http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/thai ... -sinking-1 (http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/thailand/090202/bangkok-sinking-1)

Beachlover
November 1st, 2009, 05:34
Nice animated graphic...

Wow... that's a bleak assessment. So I guess this is another reason to rent instead of buying in Bangkok LOL.

TrongpaiExpat
November 1st, 2009, 12:42
Very old news. DVD's have been back on the streets for quite some time. The ban lasted a few weeks as most bans and crackdowns.

I was watching them lay the stones on that sidewalk and it was just set on top of a sand cement mix a few cm thick. It looked very nice for a few weeks.

Beachlover
November 1st, 2009, 13:02
It looked very nice for a few weeks.

LOL

November 1st, 2009, 19:20
Very old news. DVD's have been back on the streets for quite some time. The ban lasted a few weeks as most bans and crackdowns.I don't recall you mentioning that old news at the time (perhaps you could point us to the link), which is why I did. Those of us who are in Thailand only every so often tend to look for the news that is most pertinent at the time we are about to arrive.