PDA

View Full Version : Deals on Flights????

April 10th, 2006, 23:47
Anyone know of any good deals on flights for mid June. Most likely fly Eva out of Newark but also considering the Thai flight out of JFK but also open to other suggestions.,

April 11th, 2006, 00:50
June is the beginning of the US "Summer Season" and fares go way up compared to April/May. I am flying in June also, and I could not find any "deals" on my preferred airlines (EVA and THAI.. I prefer economy Deluxe seating). EVA and Thai were the same price, so I went with the Thai flight since it's non-stop. The best I could do was get a $200 discount by purchasing the tickets from a local thai travel agent rather than directly from Thai airways. I don't know how they do it ( I didn't want to ask too many questions) but the price I was charged was $200 less than printed on the ticket.

manfarang-old
April 11th, 2006, 05:32
I've only flown the Thai nonstop out of JFK, but it was well worth the money. To the best of my knowledge, the regular economy seats on that flight have more legroom than any other airline's economy. I flew premium economy and enjoyed it, but you should be aware that all you are really getting for the extra money is a wider seat with more legroom, no real extra service. Food is the same as regular economy, but quite decent and there is, of course, alcoholic beverage service. The inflight entertainment system is outstanding, with "various channels for passengers such as selection from 30 films, 70 documentary films, news from the worldтАЩs top news agencies, video language lessons including Thai." You also have a selection of more than 100 music CDs.

The basic differences in the JFK-BKK flight classes are:
* Royal Silk Class: 60 seats, seating offers 60-inch (five feet) pitch, with 170 degree recline for sleeping in 2-2-2 configuration, 10.4 inch video screen.
* Premium Economy Class: 42 seats, seating offers 43-inch pitch in 2-3-2 configuration and 135 degree recline with leg rest, 8.4 inch video screen.
* Economy Class: 113 seats, seating offers 37-inch pitch in 2-4-2 configuration and 125 degree recline with foot rest, 8.4 inch video screen.

wowpow
April 11th, 2006, 05:59
June is low season in Thailand. Certainly there are usually low cost flights from Europe and prices increase sunstantially at the end of June or Early July when the schools break for the Summer holidays and tourist numbers soar. This year with The World Cup Soccer in Germany, June tourism will be very low, there should be super bargains around for flights and hotels. I once got a return flight UK-Florida for ┬г50 including a two week car hire!! That was World Cup Soccer. These offers are often lat minute.

April 11th, 2006, 06:31
TeePee.. yes June is Slow season in Thailand. Unfortunately, the Airlines price by the Season in the country you are DEPARTING from. June is the start of the summer vacation time for americans and europeans, so the prices Leaving there go up.

Manfarang. Those extra 6" of Seat Pitch makes the difference between a miserable flight and a comfortable one for most of us 6 foot and over guys...

lonelywombat
April 11th, 2006, 08:35
I have found that as long as I have some FF points I can purchase the necessary additional points to

get an award flight. In high season it works out cheaper than buying a ticket.

I just went to the Thai website and the rate offered

1055.00 + 163.00 taxes x 1 Adult = 1218.00 $US

Dont know what fares you are looking at but am interested to see what you can get down to.

TG791 june 8 non stop
TG790 july 10 non stop

April 11th, 2006, 08:48
I have enough miles on NWA to upgrade but find it next to impossible to get an upgradeable seat. In fact in two years of trying have not been able to use the mileage. I am 6ft 3 in so the ectra leg room is extremely important. I checked the thi web site and got a 1500. fare so I guess I'll need to go back and recheck it. Thanks for the info.

April 11th, 2006, 08:55
I have found that as long as I have some FF points I can purchase the necessary additional points to

get an award flight. In high season it works out cheaper than buying a ticket.

I just went to the Thai website and the rate offered

1055.00 + 163.00 taxes x 1 Adult = 1218.00 $US

Dont know what fares you are looking at but am interested to see what you can get down to.

TG791 june 8 non stop
TG790 july 10 non stop

But it is difficult to find availability for award seat in high season.

April 11th, 2006, 09:04
I booked my flight from New York April 20 back May 8
I tried on line and with Calling them directly price for premium economy was $1750 .00
Then the gave me the # of Star Tours in California 1-323 644-1063
I spoke to Fon and got the price for $1545
This comes with 110% miles for my star alliance miles
Got the seats i wanted also.
Hope this might help
If you need any more information pm me i am on the east cost of the us its the only
way i go any more so much nice that going threw Chicago

April 11th, 2006, 12:21
Yes, Star Tours in Thaitown (Hollywood) is a great place for Americans to get a bargain on flights to Thailand. Also, they can get you a much better deal on Thai Airways domestic (inside Thailand) flights and mail the tickets to your U.S. residence prior to flying.

I go there in person sometimes. Creepy staff, but give terrific discounts. Beat the lowest prices qouted by the airlines, Orbitz, Travelocity or Cheap Tickets every time.

Not sure how it works either. When I fly from LAX to Ninoy Aquino International Airport, a taxi in Manila brings me to a Chinese business in Ongpin and I am given a cash rebate on my airline ticket. Also, this jewely store provides a coupon for 20% discount at various mainstream international hotels.

April 11th, 2006, 12:38
Yep, Star Tours is the place I got my tickets at a discount. I picked them up in person also, but my agent, Tony, was friendly and helpfull, didn't find him "creepy" at all.

April 11th, 2006, 12:57
Any views on where in Thailand (Pattaya & Bangkok) is best to go to buy a one way (or possibly return ticket) from Bangkok to London. I have looked at Thai Airways website and although it lets me input possible dates it doesn't have anywhere to 'click' to search for prices and availability (possibly to do with my browser). Eva has given me details of return ticket prices but when I check for the same date (BKK to London) on a one way ticket it tells me there is no availability.

I will be on the economy package having spent all my money here in Thailand and will be suffering backache all the way home.

April 12th, 2006, 02:43
Just looked at delta last night and the same flight I booked months ago is now $400 US higher. Could be bigger fuel; surcharges - or last depserate attempts to make a bck before they go bankrupt and leave us stranded.

April 12th, 2006, 03:06
Just looked at delta last night and the same flight I booked months ago is now $400 US higher. Could be bigger fuel; surcharges - or last depserate attempts to make a bck before they go bankrupt and leave us stranded

That's not how it works. Every flight has specific numbers of seats available at various levels of pricing. As the very cheapest seats are sold first the discount channels offer the next level. Often in Europe there is only one seat available at the prices you see in agents windows or newspapers. They can't advertise a price that is never available. The price going up near to take of time is simply the lowest levels being sold out. Of course you may get a last-minute standby which seems unfair on those who bought at the mid-point but it's just the airlines trying to maximise the return for their service.

Many carriers also use this model for selling biz class seats but I'm not sure about First Class, since I never try to buy any of those.

manfarang-old
April 12th, 2006, 05:13
Manfarang. Those extra 6" of Seat Pitch makes the difference between a miserable flight and a comfortable one for most of us 6 foot and over guys...
one2go, I definitely agree that Thai Air's premium economy seats for that 16+ hour flight are a blessing. I don't think that the premium/deluxe economy seats of either Singapore Airlines or EVA offer that much legroom, and I don't know if EVA offers the extensive video on demand entertainment systems that Thai Air and Singapore do. But if the budget ever gets tight, Thai Air's economy seats on the JFK or LAX nonstops sound like the way to go. Fortunately, next month I'm burning off my American Airlines miles on a first class flight, Cathay Pacific to BKK, Japan Airlines on the return. After that, I will REALLY be spoiled. :sunny:

Incidentally, last fall I paid $1545 for my PE tickets booked through the Thai Air reservations line. Thank you, Skeet45, for the phone number for Star Tours. It will go into my address book.

American Teacher-old
April 12th, 2006, 09:28
I highly recommend the Best Travel Store online. I have used them several times and if you are a little flexible on your flying dates, you can really get a good bargain. Check them out!

http://www.bt-store.com

Fondly,
Chris

April 12th, 2006, 10:23
I can second the suggestion for bt-store. I saved 400 on my last ticket. Interestingly, the ticket I bought was on NWA where I have some status. They continued to treat me well even with this "bucket shop" ticket, got a free first class upgrade, etc. when there was a delay based on a broken plane. I was also able to select my seats. The only problem is if you need to change the dates, then you will have a problem and a big expense.

April 12th, 2006, 21:09
The BT store site seems very promising. What airlines other than eva and thai offer the delux economy?

manfarang-old
April 13th, 2006, 03:46
What airlines other than eva and thai offer the delux economy?
Singapore Air's nonstops from EWR (Newark, New Jersey) and LAX to Singapore have Executive Economy seats (no regular economy). The regular fare runs around $1,700 USD.
Executive Economy Seat link (http://www.singaporeair.com/saa/en_UK/content/exp/cabin/exececonomyclass_seat.jsp)
seatmap (http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Singapore_Air/Singapore_Air_Airbus_A345.php)

April 13th, 2006, 17:33
I can't believe people would, on purpose, book themselves for a 16 hour flight. You bitch about small seats, but then book for a horrific 16 hours.
But then I don't understand a lot of things people do.

jimnbkk
April 13th, 2006, 20:39
How else would you get there? walk? no. I doubt it. 16 hours is about as short as you can get it.

btw i booked my own 16+ hour flight yesterday from NYC on Thai. Cost including legs to and from Washington DC was 1200+. I just got the following from Travelocity:

sigh

http://dps1.travelocity.com/airgchoice. ... p_arp_cd(1 (http://dps1.travelocity.com/airgchoice.ctl?SearchMethod=BestFareFinder&trip_option=roundtrp&dep_arp_cd(1))=WAS&arr_arp_cd(1)=BKK&module=calendar&adult_pax_cnt=1&chld_pax_cnt=0&senior_pax_cnt=0&frontDoor=Y&pref_aln=all&FromTF=true

I tried it and it works, even tho it's a long link. It takes you to a Travelocity page with $745 tickets to Bangkok.

April 14th, 2006, 17:46
What month did you book for and was it for the economy delux class? thanks

jimnbkk
April 14th, 2006, 20:49
leaving here 31 August, and for the cheapest economy class. The next-up cost was $1737 as I remember. I'm returning home on 26 October. Again, I didn't use the link in my previous post; I had already made the reservations when I got the email from Travelocity. I worked through Orbitz. It was cheaper than even the Thai Airlines website.

manfarang-old
April 16th, 2006, 21:32
I can't believe people would, on purpose, book themselves for a 16 hour flight. You bitch about small seats, but then book for a horrific 16 hours.
Most flights from the US to Asia fly the Pacific route, so most of us from the US are going to have to fly at least 12 hours nonstop in any case, sometimes up to 14 hours if there is bad weather or strong headwinds. Then there is the layover in Japan or Korea with at least an additional 6 hour flight to BKK. The 16-hour nonstop from JFK to BKK cuts out several hours of travel time and puts you into BKK at a decent hour. In addition, Thai Air and Singapore Airlines provide additional amenities in recognition of the long trip that make their economy/premium economy classes far superior to the standard steerage seat on Northwest or United. Trust me, although 16 hours is a long time, my flight on the Thai nonstop was much more bearable than my previous flights in economy on American or Northwest.

April 17th, 2006, 01:06
The best thing about the there flight is it gets me there at around 1600 .
That means no trouble getting to the condo have a shower and ready to go out by about 9pm.
There is nothing worse that getting there at 2 or 3 in The morning everything closed.
You have looked forward to getting there but you have to wait another day to enjoy things
I don't mind paying a few more $ for shorter flying times and only 1 flight with no stop over.
I watch a few movies take an ambian before you no it you are there
Which by the way i have 3 days left before i go again i leave on Thursday :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: