PDA

View Full Version : where to go

October 23rd, 2009, 16:17
I need to get out of Pattaya for about five or six weeks.I was thinking about Chaing Mai but have been put off a little by a couple of posts like Liams and Phuket is coming into high season. I want a bit of gay life, apartment or guest house style accomadation and places I can have a quiet drink at night, any ideas?

October 23rd, 2009, 17:38
I wouldnтАЩt be put off by somewhat negative reports about the gay scene in Chiang Mai, or my own report about the Lavender Lanna Hotel. Perhaps you are wanting to get away from the intensity of gay life in Pattaya? Then CM might be just right. It has everything that Bangkok has, but on a smaller, more user friendly scale, and a visit to the Central shopping mall (Kad Suan Kaew) will have you tripping over gay boys. Bars may be spread out over a larger area, the dancers may not wave their privates in your face as much as they do in Sunee, but I think you will find most people, including the boys, refreshingly pleasant and polite compared to other gay venues in Thailand. Spend some time on the internet and youтАЩll find lots of acceptable gay or gay friendly lodgings. Of course the high season is on in CM also, but that also means it is the start of the тАЬwinterтАЭ. You might even need a jacket when you go out at night. And the mountain views can be very special. Bon Voyage.

Beachlover
October 23rd, 2009, 21:06
For a bit of gay life and a quite place to have a drink in the evenings.... Chiang Mai sounds about right.

Phuket is worth visiting... but you won't get great value for money there (hotels more expensive and not great) and the gay scene is mainly confined to 3-4 gogo bars on the same street. The beach and surrounds are lovely though. I would visit Phuket for 3-4 days.

Why not go to 2-3 places instead of one? I would spend time in Bangkok.

ceejay
October 23rd, 2009, 21:50
Why not go to 2-3 places instead of one?
Good advice. Why not tour around the North a little, spend a few days in Chiang Rai and Mae Hong Son and a week or two in Chiang Mai (doesn't sound as if you need a go-go bar available every night of the week) and maybe see a different face of Thailand?

Or - try Cambodia. I went to Phnom Penh last year for Bon om Tuk (big boat racing festival - worth a visit) which is, I think, 1st-3rd Nov this year, then on to Siem Reap to visit the Angkor temples. There are a few gay bars to be found in both places.

October 24th, 2009, 11:15
Thanks for the advice I may try CM after all. as travelling is one of my big hates moving around is difficult but a possibility I shouldn't be so lazy