PDA

View Full Version : promoting Sunee,Boyztown, Pattaya and /or Thailand

lonelywombat
October 22nd, 2009, 06:19
Last month I made a suggestion re a competition that could be used to promote Pattaya as a destination. It got some good replies and I am pleased it might get off the ground.

As is normal for this forum, I had negative posts and PM's including one that asked what is my next """Brilliant""" idea, seeing that one failed.

First you have to decide on who you are trying to reach and what you want to communicate.
If you want to reach people both straight as well as gay, what would they be interested in?

Research in Australia has pointed out the huge benefit backpackers are contributing to the economy. Maybe something that is directed to the backpacker, the young and mobile who are looking for info in a different way to our generation, could be a winner.

There is a site called Gumtree.com, which started in the UK in 2000 , is represented in 11 countries and 72 cities. Thailand is not represented as yet. For someone with computer skills,
ppromotion or PR I believe that a franchise for Thailand could attract an enormous interest in Thailand and Pattaya from the generation that seems to be giving Thailand the miss except for some areas of Bangkok

Here is a quote from the Gumtree Help Page

Gumtree.com was started in March 2000 as a local London classified ads and community site, designed to connect people who were either planning to move, or had just arrived in the city, and needed help getting started with accommodation, employment and meeting new people.

We've grown a lot since then through word of mouth and we're proud to say that Gumtree is loved by its rapidly growing community. We now cover 72 cities across 11 countries - the UK, Ireland, Poland, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Singapore and Hong Kong - and are the UK's biggest website for local community classifieds including flat share, flat rentals and jobs. More than 25,000 new rooms are advertised a month, which means at least 10,000 rooms are rented a month through Gumtree. We now have more than one million visitors every month.

From the search ads page here is the interesting part,

Friends / Dating

* friends only
* girls seeking guys
* guys seeking girls
* girls seeking girls
* guys seeking guys
* casual relationships

Here is a link to gumtree UK

http://gumtree.com.

From there you can pick any country and browse

Other countries/regions:

* United States
* Canada
* England
* Scotland
* Wales
* Ireland
* Spain
* France
* Belgium
* Netherlands
* Denmark
* Germany
* Switzerland
* Austria
* Italy
* Poland
* Czech Republic
* Slovakia
* Hungary
* Greece
* Belarus
* Ukraine
* South Africa
* Turkey
* Russia
* Kazakhstan
* India
* China
* Hong Kong
* Taiwan
* Singapore
* Japan
* New Zealand

Just an idea which could be attractive for someone retired or unemployed in Thailand.
If they were gay it would be even better.

Beachlover
October 22nd, 2009, 06:41
Thailand is already a popular destination for backpackers. I don't know about Pattaya though. I do know a couple (not many) of backpackers who've been to Pattaya. One said, "don't bother... it's an ugly crowded place... more about the sex industry"

Backpackers want a pristine place they can connect with nature or be immersed local culture new to them... or they want a party town where they can connect with other fit, young travelers like themselves. They want it to be cheap. And reputation is important. They like to be able to say they've been somewhere trendy, perhaps off the beaten trail or adventurous.

Beachlover
October 22nd, 2009, 06:48
I believe that a franchise for Thailand could attract an enormous interest in Thailand and Pattaya from the generation that seems to be giving Thailand the miss except for some areas of Bangkok

Backpackers giving Thailand a miss? Are you serious?

Have you been to Chiang Mai? Phuket? Koh Samui? Koh Phangan? Koh Samet? Krabi? Anywhere outside Pattaya?

Thailand is enormously popular with backpackers and has been for decades. My first trip to Thailand 2 years ago was as a backpacker... doing backpacker stuff in backpacker places. Thailand is almost like a backpacker rite of passage.

October 22nd, 2009, 07:32
I believe that a franchise for Thailand could attract an enormous interest in Thailand and Pattaya from the generation that seems to be giving Thailand the miss except for some areas of Bangkok

Have you been to Chiang Mai? Phuket? Koh Samui? Koh Phangan? Koh Samet? Krabi? Anywhere outside Pattaya?

Thailand is enormously popular with backpackers and has been for decades. My first trip to Thailand 2 years ago was as a backpacker... doing backpacker stuff in backpacker places. Thailand is almost like a backpacker rite of passage.

I suppose we must bow to the superior knowledge of someone like your good self who has been visiting the land of smiles for such a long time....................

zinzone
October 22nd, 2009, 09:22
There are plenty of backpackers in Thailand but like the sheep they are they read various guide books such as Lonely Planet etc which keep them clear of Pattaya. Laughable really since the backpackers are cheap charlies, low lifes, who are always looking to walk the mile just to save one baht.But for some reason they turn up their cheapo noses at Pattaya.

lonelywombat
October 22nd, 2009, 09:26

On a recent TV program the comment was made that Thailand Tourism was hurting more than than other countries because of the red shirts yellow shirts fiasco. They commented that budget travellers including backpackers were avoiding Thailand. This is now not 20 year ago.

Regardless if a website attracts so much traffic and Thailand is not represented, it is unfortunate.My point is that in a million hits per month, Thailand would be better served by having a presence, and if it was organized by gay interests in Pattaya even better.

As to all the places you mention ,yes yes yes. Enquiries from tourists to all those places can be expected, but in greater volume than what we get on our narrow focus forums.

lonelywombat
October 22nd, 2009, 09:29
There are plenty of backpackers in Thailand but like the sheep they are they read various guide books such as Lonely Planet etc which keep them clear of Pattaya. Laughable really since the backpackers are cheap charlies, low lifes, who are always looking to walk the mile just to save one baht.But for some reason they turn up their cheapo noses at Pattaya.

I happen to know many expats that fall into that same category. TAT used to quote a figure of 10 million visitors a year and those figures have slumped. Not all of them are cheap charlies or back packers.
Not all over seas tourists can be labelled with one brush.

October 22nd, 2009, 13:46
There is a site called Gumtree.com, which started in the UK in 2000 , is represented in 11 countries and 72 cities. Thailand is not represented as yet. For someone with computer skills, ppromotion or PR I believe that a franchise for Thailand could attract an enormous interest in Thailand and Pattaya from the generation that seems to be giving Thailand the miss except for some areas of BangkokGumtree and Craigslist are both very much At Your Own Risk and are a lucrative source of suckers for the international scamming brigade. If you look for example at this ad for a room share in central London (http://london.craigslist.co.uk/roo/1431745343.html) it sounds great - almost too good to be true at that price. Indeed, it is too good to be true. The dupes who take it seriously are asked to send the deposit by Western Union or Moneygram (http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=gumtree+moneygram+scams) to someone they've never meet on the assurance that the room is theirs whenever they turn up. Enough people do this to make it worthwhile for the scammer who is living in Nigeria (or Thailand?). Review Craigslist or Gumtree and you'll see the same ad, or variants on the same ad, repeated week after week, sometimes only a couple of days apart. Craigslist is notorious for not policing such (or any) scams; Gumtree is only slightly better.

Beachlover
October 22nd, 2009, 16:57

Backpackers are sheep? In comparison to who?

Backpackers are often the "first in" segment of travelers into any new location. Phuket, Koh Samui and other now-popular tourists spots were discovered by backpackers FIRST. The same pattern occurs all over the world.

Backpackers don't come to Pattaya in large numbers because there is little to attract them.

Backpackers are mostly young, not wealthy, keen to explore and want to make their dollars go further. What's wrong with that? If you think fresh, young, energetic backpackers are "low lifes" then you're probably old, ugly, bitter and unintelligent man.

Beachlover
October 22nd, 2009, 17:07
Gumtree and Craigslist are both very much At Your Own Risk and are a lucrative source of suckers for the international scamming brigade. If you look for example at this ad for a room share in central London (http://london.craigslist.co.uk/roo/1431745343.html) it sounds great - almost too good to be true at that price. Indeed, it is too good to be true. The dupes who take it seriously are asked to send the deposit by Western Union or Moneygram (http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=gumtree+moneygram+scams) to someone they've never meet on the assurance that the room is theirs whenever they turn up. Enough people do this to make it worthwhile for the scammer who is living in Nigeria (or Thailand?). Review Craigslist or Gumtree and you'll see the same ad, or variants on the same ad, repeated week after week, sometimes only a couple of days apart. Craigslist is notorious for not policing such (or any) scams; Gumtree is only slightly better.

True... but anyone with half a brain knows you need to be wary of online classifieds, policed or not. I'm sure just as many, if not more people are screwed over by e-mail scams and other online criminal activities. Even Ebay (which does police its listings) has its fair share of problems.

Even then... Gumtree, Craigslist and Cracker are excellent ways to find some things and a great low-cost way for freelancers to market themselves. I know a young Creative Director on $160k/year at an ad agency who was originally recruited into that agency from Gumtree, funnily enough.

October 22nd, 2009, 17:10
Phuket, Koh Samui and other now-popular tourists spots were discovered by backpackers FIRST.

I think the local residents might argue with you on that point, LOL.

I agree with your bitter old men assessment. Most of these old grumps have no use whatsoever for young people, unless they are for sale.

Beachlover
October 22nd, 2009, 17:20
On a recent TV program the comment was made that Thailand Tourism was hurting more than than other countries because of the red shirts yellow shirts fiasco. They commented that budget travellers including backpackers were avoiding Thailand. This is now not 20 year ago.

Regardless if a website attracts so much traffic and Thailand is not represented, it is unfortunate.My point is that in a million hits per month, Thailand would be better served by having a presence, and if it was organized by gay interests in Pattaya even better.

As to all the places you mention ,yes yes yes. Enquiries from tourists to all those places can be expected, but in greater volume than what we get on our narrow focus forums.

Visitors across the board (in all segments) are avoiding Thailand after the red/yellow shirt f*ck up. This doesn't mean the backpacker segment is "the generation that seems to be giving Thailand a miss". Far from it.

Thailand has serious competition from neighbouring Vietnam and Cambodia for backpackers now. Cambodia especially is seen as a more raw/real experience. But in any case, the Thailand brand still offers a "not too rough" experience combined with many of the backpacker desires... cheap... tropical paradise... different culture/people experience... fun.

Beachlover
October 22nd, 2009, 17:26
Phuket, Koh Samui and other now-popular tourists spots were discovered by backpackers FIRST.

I think the local residents might argue with you on that point, LOL.

I agree with your bitter old men assessment. Most of these old grumps have no use whatsoever for young people, unless they are for sale.

God forbid I forget the locals residents... yes, I meant they were discovered and brought into the tourist scene by backpackers first. :D

October 23rd, 2009, 03:01
Backpackers don't come to Pattaya in large numbers because there is little to attract them.

And this informed judgement is based on what, exactly?

Was it by any chance the same source which told you that "Phuket, Koh Samui and other now-popular tourists spots were discovered by backpackers FIRST" rather than by visiting yachtsmen?

October 23rd, 2009, 07:03
Most of these old grumps have no use whatsoever for young people, unless they are for sale.You mean in places like the karaoke bars of Saphan Kwai?

TrongpaiExpat
October 23rd, 2009, 11:33
[quote="Beach Bunny":b6xm7hbt]Most of these old grumps have no use whatsoever for young people, unless they are for sale.You mean in places like the karaoke bars of Saphan Kwai?[/quote:b6xm7hbt]

If you have some insight, reviews and comments on the bars of Saphan Kwai, I would be interested to hear about them. It's a section of town not covered on this board often.

TrongpaiExpat
October 23rd, 2009, 12:40
Do you think us who live in Bangkok want to publicize where the action in Saphan kwai is when we walk side by side Thais and Asians who know how to be discreet and not spoil the fun for others I could tell you

I was NOT asking you.

Geezer
October 23rd, 2009, 17:33
I have mentioned about the alternative Bangkok before to find a few farangs find my watering hole and only negative outcome have come from it.

Indeed, members who have been on the boards a few years recall one such occasion. You wrote of your experiences in Saphan Kwai, copying an article from another site without attribution. You even inserted first person singular pronouns (I, me, my -- but IтАЩm sure you know what pronouns are.) You told us when you completed your course to be an English teacher your instructor pronounced you the best student in the class.

October 23rd, 2009, 20:07
I have mentioned about the alternative Bangkok before to find a few farangs find my watering hole and only negative outcome have come from it.

Indeed, members who have been on the boards a few years recall one such occasion. You wrote of your experiences in Saphan Kwai, copying an article from another site without attribution. You even inserted first person singular pronouns (I, me, my -- but IтАЩm sure you know what pronouns are.) You told us when you completed your course to be an English teacher your instructor pronounced you the best student in the class.

He was probably the only student left in the class, the others left after realising that the language he was speaking wasn't what they had paid to learn to teach. The Instructor pronounced him the best in class then promptly left to find a watering hole and hasn't been seen since......

:hello1:

llz
October 23rd, 2009, 21:06
If you have some insight, reviews and comments on the bars of Saphan Kwai, I would be interested to hear about them. It's a section of town not covered on this board often.

Be High is still the only gogo bar in SK with 7/10 more or less attractive boys.

Eagle has closed and the former mamasan (Mon, who speaks very good english) has moved to Heaven which is probably why this bar has more attractive lads than before.

In Charmming you will always find at least 15/20 boys ; this bar is known for having very nice boys. I was explained that there are two shifts of guys, one shift turning up every second day.

Other bars are karaoke but from what I saw there is definitely some improvement in the quality of boys. However do not expect the brown skinny ladyboy type ; although more and more farangs visit the area, boys are recruited to meet what thai customers expect.

More to come as my yearly exploration is still going on.

Beachlover
October 23rd, 2009, 21:56
Hey... where abouts is Saphan Kwai? What's the scene there? Anything other than Gogo and Karaoke bars?

Speaking of which, I've never been in a Karaoke bar. What's the setup in these bars? Who do you meet there?...

October 25th, 2009, 18:31
Who do you meet there?...

Prostitutes, what else?

thrillbill
October 25th, 2009, 19:04
Yes, Pattaya is a good choice for travelors... a private "song taew" cost more than a air conditoned taxi in Bankok; walk down Beach Road and inhale the sewer fumes while ignoring "sexy man" from the old X-bar girls; swim in the sea with the sewage dumped from the city; and deal with the inflated bar prices for a drink in a gay bar compare to BKK.

Geezer
October 26th, 2009, 00:33
No I did not try to make it look like I wrote it, :

Then would you explain why you inserted the first person singular personal pronouns in the post you plagiarized?

Beachlover
October 29th, 2009, 08:03
Pattaya... as many people see it:

http://www.smh.com.au/travel/penniless- ... -hd35.html (http://www.smh.com.au/travel/penniless-in-the-sleaziest-place-on-earth-20091023-hd35.html)