PDA

View Full Version : Any joiners fee charged at Sofitel Bangkok?

Beachlover
October 20th, 2009, 10:30
Anyone stayed at the Sofitel in Bangkok?

Any issue bringing back joiners? Did they charge a joiners fee (don't mind if they do... but nice to know in advance)?

Their rooms are very cheap at the moment... and they look fairly good. Big bath tub, sturdy work desk, great view... Location's not as good... but it's still within 5 mins walk of Chong Nonsi BTS and 5-10 mins walk to DJ Station etc.

Also has anyone used the pool there? Is it big/long? I can't tell from the photos...

Sen Yai
October 20th, 2009, 11:48
There is more than 1 Sofitel in Bangkok (one near Chatuchak and another opening on Sukhumvit next year) but I guess you are refering to the Sofitel Silom. I have stayed there several times and can confirm that no joiner's fee is charged.

They often have very good rates at off-peak season and the rooms are very comfortably furnished. The breakfast is very good too, but may not be included in the cheapest room rates. In-room internet connection can be an extra that they will try to sell you at check-in too.

The pool is not so big, maybe 12-15m, but big enough to swim properly if you want too.

Easy walking distance to Soi 2 and 4 - I recommend this place, if you can get a good rate ~3 to 3.5k THB

TrongpaiExpat
October 20th, 2009, 12:06
The buffet dinner at the Sofitel Silom is very good. Around 800B. There's a variety of foods with each night specializing in international fare plus some Thai. Dusit Silom has a similar buffet for around the same price but in my opinion Sofitel is better. Not something you should do every night but take a look and maybe once or twice. The deserts are downright dangerous.

lonelywombat
October 20th, 2009, 13:50
Anyone stayed at the Sofitel in Bangkok?

Any issue bringing back joiners? Did they charge a joiners fee (don't mind if they do... but nice to know in advance)?

Their rooms are very cheap at the moment... and they look fairly good. Big bath tub, sturdy work desk, great view... Location's not as good... but it's still within 5 mins walk of Chong Nonsi BTS and 5-10 mins walk to DJ Station etc.

Also has anyone used the pool there? Is it big/long? I can't tell from the photos...

I have stayed Sofitel Silom a number of times, and when they have specials will stay there again. Asia rooms is quoting $US400 which is not what I would call cheap.
It is very hard to identify if you are taking a boy to your room or to the disco bar, which is entered by same lift in the foyer. Have never been asked.
Breakfast is a buffet and can be overwhelming as asian tour groups seem to be everywhere but if you are a late riser , you should miss them.
Have not used the pool.
Location half way betwen the old Tower Inn now Unico, and Soi 4 is very convenient. Cannot understand your comment about location not as good as what?
Bath tub, desk ? are we talking about suites?????

Beachlover
October 20th, 2009, 16:38
There is more than 1 Sofitel in Bangkok (one near Chatuchak and another opening on Sukhumvit next year) but I guess you are refering to the Sofitel Silom. I have stayed there several times and can confirm that no joiner's fee is charged.

They often have very good rates at off-peak season and the rooms are very comfortably furnished. The breakfast is very good too, but may not be included in the cheapest room rates. In-room internet connection can be an extra that they will try to sell you at check-in too.

The pool is not so big, maybe 12-15m, but big enough to swim properly if you want too.

Easy walking distance to Soi 2 and 4 - I recommend this place, if you can get a good rate ~3 to 3.5k THB

Thanks Sen Yai... Yeah, I meant Sofitel Silom... didn't realise there were others.

Darn... I wish hotels would make longer pools. You can't swim laps in a 15m pool. Sometimes it's frustrating because the pool is very wide so they could've had a long pool with the same amount of space.

Agoda seems to have sub-3.5k rates with breakfast which is fantastivc value for a 5 star.

Hey do they charge extra for in-room internet? Is it LAN or wireless? This is a necessity for me... so I would need to pay even if it was 500baht/day or something.... so need to factor this into the room rate. The website says "high speed internet" under each guest room description... wish they would make it clear if it was free or extra.

October 20th, 2009, 16:51
You can't swim laps in a 15m pool.

Bottoms Up seems to think you can swim laps in a 5m pool. Of course, the only laps he's ever done in his life are around a buffet table, and the only exercise he ever gets is running for the door when the check comes.

Beachlover
October 20th, 2009, 16:54
I have stayed Sofitel Silom a number of times, and when they have specials will stay there again. Asia rooms is quoting $US400 which is not what I would call cheap.
It is very hard to identify if you are taking a boy to your room or to the disco bar, which is entered by same lift in the foyer. Have never been asked.
Breakfast is a buffet and can be overwhelming as asian tour groups seem to be everywhere but if you are a late riser , you should miss them.
Have not used the pool.
Location half way betwen the old Tower Inn now Unico, and Soi 4 is very convenient. Cannot understand your comment about location not as good as what?
Bath tub, desk ? are we talking about suites?????

Agoda is quoting AUD$92-$140 (depending on room) which is great value.

I hate the new AsiaRooms website. I used to be able to count on AR to always have the best rates (and they almost always include breakfast) but since they redesigned it the rates haven't been as good and it takes longer to find the rate/dates you're after. The old website wasn't as pretty but it was very intuitive.

I bet their bookings have dropped like anything since the redesign. Probably making bigger margins though... so maybe it evens out.

Sweet... so no joiners fees or fuss. Lovely.

I meant the location is not as good as the Dusit or other hotels near Saladeng (spelling...) BTS.

The website says normal rooms (they call them "luxury rooms) all have bathtubs and a desk. Does your experience say otherwise?

Beachlover
October 20th, 2009, 16:57
You can't swim laps in a 15m pool.

Bottoms Up seems to think you can swim laps in a 5m pool. LOL.

He considers it a lap when he touches both sides at once LOL.

Marsilius
October 21st, 2009, 01:09
I certainly agree with all the positive comments. A great hotel - and never been charged a joiner's fee yet!

Beachlover
October 21st, 2009, 03:55
Anyone know about the Lebua (Bangkok) at State Tower hotel? Any joiner fees or problems?

This is another hotel having trouble filling rooms offering cheap rates.

lonelywombat
October 21st, 2009, 06:23
When I googled Sofitel Silom Road Bangkok it came up with "from US74 per day" fantastic deal.

http://www.sofitel.com/gb/hotel-3616-so ... room.shtml (http://www.sofitel.com/gb/hotel-3616-sofitel-bangkok-silom/room.shtml)
gives you 360 virtual tours of rooms and facilities, see photo gallery and virtual tour.

Remember hotels are like airline ads. They quote lowest fares but show service in first class.
Go for it. I would if I was coming in the very near future.

RonanTheBarbarian
October 21st, 2009, 06:30
You are right that the Asiarooms site has gone to hell lately - I find that it cannot even sort by price any more - useless.

bao-bao
October 21st, 2009, 07:14
Anyone know about the Lebua (Bangkok) at State Tower hotel? Any joiner fees or problems?

I can't speak for the joiner fees but the Lebua is a pretty fancy place, Beachlover.

I visited one of the suites on the 59th floor last month to take some night photos of the city below and would be surprised if you'd get a guy upstairs with torn jeans and spiked hair :rolling:

I was told there's a dress code in place for the restaurants and sky bar, also.

Seriously, it just didn't strike me as a place where "joiners" would be welcome. Let us know how it goes if you book it, please.

Beachlover
October 21st, 2009, 07:30
You are right that the Asiarooms site has gone to hell lately - I find that it cannot even sort by price any more - useless.

Well... that goldmine of a site was good while it lasted.

I think Agoda is offering the best deals most of the time now.

Beachlover
October 21st, 2009, 07:36

I can't speak for the joiner fees but the Lebua is a pretty fancy place, Beachlover.

I visited one of the suites on the 59th floor last month to take some night photos of the city below and would be surprised if you'd get a guy upstairs with torn jeans and spiked hair :rolling:

I was told there's a dress code in place for the restaurants and sky bar, also.

Seriously, it just didn't strike me as a place where "joiners" would be welcome. Let us know how it goes if you book it, please.

Yeah I know... the location isn't so good (though it is still within 5 mins of BTS) but the views from the suites/balconies look pretty spectacular and the rooms are huge so thought it would be good experience to stay there while it's cheap.

I have been up to the Skybar for a drink before... everyone should check it out... it's got to be one of the most spectacular spots in Bangkok. I was wearing t-shirt and jeans when I visited and had no problems. Come to think of it, I remember seeing an older German guy there with two boys... (spiky hair and torn jeans but smart-looking shirts).. and there didn't seem to be any issues. They seemed welcome.

Hope you got some good photos. How did they come out?

bao-bao
October 21st, 2009, 09:03
Hope you got some good photos. How did they come out?

Some of them came out very well, thanks. I'll get them posted soon.