PDA

View Full Version : First Christmas in Thailand

1PR4BKK
October 16th, 2009, 21:02
This will probably seem like a strange question but here goesтАж

For the first time I am going to be away from USA for the Christmas holiday season. Are there any Christmas concerts or other Christmas events in Thailand (BKK or Pattaya)?

Brad the Impala
October 16th, 2009, 23:02
Christmas is celebrated in Thailand like all the other world festivals. You will find extensive decorations, especially in venues catering to tourists. You will be able to find carol services and concerts in Bangkok and Pattaya no problem, and you will surely be able to sit on Santa's knee, as a lot of guys in the bars will be wearing Santa's hat and giving out presents. There are also quite a lot of fairies around, and some of them have a magic wand. :tongue3:

October 16th, 2009, 23:55
Christmas is celebrated in Thailand like all the other world festivals.

All?

October 17th, 2009, 00:09
[quote="Brad the Impala":2xbi8rn7]Christmas is celebrated in Thailand like all the other world festivals.

All?[/quote:2xbi8rn7]

Yes, they hold a wonderful Passover party at Central World Plaza.

Brad the Impala
October 17th, 2009, 00:16
I have heard that April Fools Day is a riotous celebration in the boondocks of Chonburi. Copious amounts of Lao Khao to wash down the humble pie.

jinks
October 17th, 2009, 00:33
For the first time I am going to be away from USA for the Christmas holiday season. Are there any Christmas concerts or other Christmas events in Thailand (BKK or Pattaya)?

I have very happily been in Thailand for several festive holidays.
Everywhere is ready to help you celebrate and take your money.

Check your hotel.... many have a compulsory dinner, on the 25th and 31st Dec :crybaby:

Events, as they are made known to me, are added to the calendar, link at the top of the page.

Brad the Impala
October 17th, 2009, 02:29
All told, some 510 people attended Passover celebrations in Bangkok, 250 in Chiang Mai, 400 in Koh Samui, 300 in Phuket, 500 in Koh Pangang and 96 in Pattaya.

Bit surprised by the numbers in "Koh Pangang", but perhaps it coincided with a full moon party.

Passover celebrations in Thailand (http://www.chabad.org/news/photo_cdo/aid/665938/jewish/Passover-Seders-in-Thailand-Safe-and-Secure.htm)

1PR4BKK
October 17th, 2009, 08:05
Christmas is celebrated in Thailand like all the other world festivals. You will find extensive decorations, especially in venues catering to tourists. You will be able to find carol services and concerts in Bangkok and Pattaya no problem, and you will surely be able to sit on Santa's knee, as a lot of guys in the bars will be wearing Santa's hat and giving out presents. There are also quite a lot of fairies around, and some of them have a magic wand. :tongue3:

Thanks Brad and the rest of you guys for your responses. Since I am heading to Thailand next month I assume I will have a few weeks to find and plan the proper holiday celebrations. I may even end up performing there if I find the right opportunity. Cheers...

bao-bao
October 18th, 2009, 00:17
Thanks Brad and the rest of you guys for your responses. Since I am heading to Thailand next month I assume I will have a few weeks to find and plan the proper holiday celebrations. I may even end up performing there if I find the right opportunity. Cheers...

Have a safe trip, 1PR4BKK. You'll find enough "Christmas" to keep you happy there, I'm sure. It's not done quite as crassly as we do it in the US, but there will be enough decorations and the likes to remind you of the season. I took this in Pattaya last December, inside the "Big C" mall near the Northern part of 2nd Road.

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z56/khunbaobao/W-BigCMall-December2008.jpg

1PR4BKK
October 18th, 2009, 10:19

Have a safe trip, 1PR4BKK. You'll find enough "Christmas" to keep you happy there, I'm sure. It's not done quite as crassly as we do it in the US, but there will be enough decorations and the likes to remind you of the season. I took this in Pattaya last December, inside the "Big C" mall near the Northern part of 2nd Road.]

Thanks bao-bao and great photo btw. I remember that mall...

I am really looking forward to spending my first Christmas there. I do hope to miss out on the Western commercialized Christmas and just spending the holidays in a warm climate of Thailand with some fun people.

October 18th, 2009, 13:02
Mum and Dad are always happy to hear about those sodomites who keep remembering my birthday wherever in the world they are.

PeterUK
October 18th, 2009, 13:09
You will find extensive decorations, especially in venues catering to tourists.

And don't worry if you can't make it on Christmas Day - in many places the decorations will still be up, a little faded perhaps, in June or July. :occasion9:

painai2
October 18th, 2009, 14:15
You will also hear Christmas music well into January at places like S&P and Starbucks. There's just something about Christmas music AFTER Christmas that says enough already.

October 19th, 2009, 02:54
Thais take every excuse to party. I remember a woman finding 5baht in my Soi once and the whole of the country seemed to party for 5 days in celebration. I've heard that things got out of hand and water was throw at everything that moved..... for the love of April in Thailand ;0)

dab69
October 19th, 2009, 02:58
with winters here I would
never return if I spent a Christmas there...

October 19th, 2009, 04:22
I was given a Thai Boyfriend as a Christmas present one year but he was a bit heavy on the ATM so I traded him in for a Thai BoySpecial who wasn't much better so I now only sponsor the local hookers. :laughing3: :laughing3: HAPPY HOLIDAY

Beachlover
October 19th, 2009, 04:41
I'm curious... are those of you who want to celebrate Christmas actually Christian and believe in Christianity or is it something you do out of habit and having being brought up this way? Just curious about the thought process here...

October 19th, 2009, 04:45
I'm curious... are those of you who want to celebrate Christmas actually Christian and believe in Christianity or is it something you do out of habit and having being brought up this way? Just curious about the thought process here...

Do members of this board actually think???

1PR4BKK
October 19th, 2009, 21:09

Do members of this board actually think???

Beachlover, I consider myself more spiritual than Christian. However, the reason for me seeking Christmas events in Thailand is mainly from a musical and entertainment perspective as well as curiosity. I am not looking at it from a religious aspect. I was hoping that I could find a decent concert or some venue that provided live holiday music. I did not grow up celebrating Christmas nor was it a family tradition. It became my favorite holiday in my late 20s and I have been a fan of everything associated with it, especially the music.

I recall being there for Valentines Day and to my surprise it was a BIG deal. There were all kinds of decorations as well as gifts and cards available at every market and small store. I assume Christmas will be on display in a similar fashion.

andyinoz, members of this board have been most helpful on my past visits to Thailand, so I do hope they continue to тАЬthinkтАЭ and be as informative, opinionated, sarcastic, crass, humorous and human as always. ThatтАЩs what keeps me coming back to this board.

DCbob
October 19th, 2009, 22:13
http://www.chabad.org/holidays/chanukah ... ailand.htm (http://www.chabad.org/holidays/chanukah/public_lights_cdo/aid/104778/jewish/Bangkok-Thailand.htm)

posting.php?mode=reply&f=9&t=18537# (http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/forum/posting.php?mode=reply&f=9&t=18537#)

Beachlover
October 20th, 2009, 05:07
Beachlover, I consider myself more spiritual than Christian. However, the reason for me seeking Christmas events in Thailand is mainly from a musical and entertainment perspective as well as curiosity. I am not looking at it from a religious aspect. I was hoping that I could find a decent concert or some venue that provided live holiday music. I did not grow up celebrating Christmas nor was it a family tradition. It became my favorite holiday in my late 20s and I have been a fan of everything associated with it, especially the music.

I recall being there for Valentines Day and to my surprise it was a BIG deal. There were all kinds of decorations as well as gifts and cards available at every market and small store. I assume Christmas will be on display in a similar fashion.

Hmmm... interesting perspective.

I used to get excited about it when I was young... happy people, bright lights, presents, parties and all... but as I grew older I realised the celebration really just had no meaning. At the core of the celebration is a religion I don't believe in and very much disagree with. I think a lot of people just celebrate it by default.

Smiles
October 20th, 2009, 10:33
" ... At the core of the celebration is a religion I don't believe in and very much disagree with. I think a lot of people just celebrate it by default... "
Well, Thais celebrate Christmas because it's just one more excuse for a party. After all, Thais celebrate three New Years bashes rather than one, so why not throw in one more party for good luck. In the resort towns, Christmas has the added incentive of not only being 'just one more party', but it does double-duty by being 'just one more opportunity' to increase their net worth by taking extra good care of drunken Christians.
"Two-for-one" is an opportunity never to be missed by entrepreneurial Thais.

Beachlover
October 20th, 2009, 10:38
True... I think that's more about Thai businesses celebrating it rather than most Thais themselves.

October 20th, 2009, 22:36
I dont think its much difference the west. in sydney, it went from being a religious celebration to a retail event years ago.

October 21st, 2009, 00:09
Christmas advertising on the TV and displays in shops have already started in U.K.......

:hello1:

lonelywombat
October 21st, 2009, 11:12
I think your post is asking for entertainment more than the formal Xmas lunch/dinner If that is correct I would suggest you email in advance, The Venue in Jomtien as they will surely have a an outstanding Xmas cabaret or Bondi which will be at least a sing along type show with less cabaret.

The other show bars like Copa in Boyztown are likely to be packed.For once a year visitors The Venue and Bondi are less likely to be known.

For fun and not very expensive, keep an eye out for Montys plans as he is just across the road from Venue aqnd is always worth a visit.

October 21st, 2009, 15:59
Getting back to the OP, in Lumpini Park last Christmas Eve there was a free candelit concert that lasted about two hours with a number of Thai and foreign performers taking part.Mary Magdalene, so she tells me, used to work in a brothel called "Carol's by Candlelight".

giggsy
October 21st, 2009, 16:05
There is also a party at the cafe royal on christmas eve. Father christmas will be there and of course the world famous singers Perry Combover and Kevin Bacon AKA El Duo

[youtube:2uvg8knj]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAWmKmyi-Zc[/youtube:2uvg8knj]

lonelywombat
October 21st, 2009, 17:04
I did not want to mention Cafe Royale but if El Duo are preforming then add it your list

Friends who have stayed at CF have in the past bitched about paying for Xmas and New Years dinner whether they go or not.

El Duo are Filipino and it is a Christian country. The night is bound to be a packed night.
Xmas only visitors rarely move from Boyztown.

If that is what you want, then enjoy

I had a PM from a member who stated that traditional Midnight Mass is celebrated in Pattaya and there is an Anglican carols service as well. There is also a gay bishop on the scene but I cannot help you with info.

You need now to be more specific about what you want to attend.

lonelywombat
October 21st, 2009, 17:13
Here are a few links to Cafe Royale last Xmas to get you in the mood

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i96l1sN3 ... re=related (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i96l1sN3nE0&feature=related)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PqOqovC ... re=related (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PqOqovCXLM&feature=related)

I do not know what you are looking for but maybe these links can get you interested.

Beachlover
October 21st, 2009, 17:54
Really does feel like they're singing to a retirement village or hospital ward...

giggsy
October 21st, 2009, 18:12
lol I found myself singing along to some of those songs...How gay is that !

lonelywombat
October 21st, 2009, 18:24
Really does feel like they're singing to a retirement village or hospital ward...

Great then you will feel very much at home then.

1PR4BKK
October 21st, 2009, 21:47
Thanks so much guys. I see that I will have plenty of options while I am there. The concert in Lumpinee Park sounds pretty cool. I was laughing at myself because I started imagining the an outdoor crowd wearing winter gear in Thailand.

I am really looking forward to being there soon. I hope I get to finally meet some of the posters of this board...cheers...

1PR4BKK
December 14th, 2009, 07:01
UPDATE: At the suggestion of one of the board members, I attended the Thai-German Friendship Concert last evening in at the Holy Redeemer Church in Bangkok and it was pretty darn good. The free (donations were accepted) concert featured a full orchestra and concert choir performing HandelтАЩs тАЬMessiahтАЭ, HaydnтАЩs тАЬThe CreationтАЭ and BeethovenтАЩs тАЬOde to JoyтАЭ. These were all pieces I would have been enjoying (and probably participating in) back home. It was quite long but enjoyable.

Now I am finally in the Christmas spirit and looking forward to going to Pattaya later this week to see what the holiday season is like there.

cdnmatt
December 14th, 2009, 07:12
I don't know, but I have a hard time getting into the Christmas spirit over here. For some reason, Pattaya just doesn't seem like the place Santa and Rudolph are anxious to visit.

Patexpat
December 14th, 2009, 10:13
Well I know tonight (Monday) is the opening night for the Christmas show at The Venue - I'll be there - I'm a sucker for Xmas (sits back and waits for the comments)

danny99
December 14th, 2009, 14:55
If you miss your Christmas turkey it will be available at just about every major hotel Christmas Dinner buffet [strangely the Catholic 24th far outnumbers the Protestant 25th for the celebration] at quite a variety of prices, some reasonable, some outrageous. Best value at a lower level is the Christmas Dinner [25th] at The Balcony [Silom Soi 4]. The price is very cheap [I forget either 300 or 500 baht] but if you join before and become a member [for much the same amount of baht] receiving a lifetime discount on your evening bills, then the dinner is free if you take it between 4.00 and 6.00.

Roast Turkey [usually two of them] Ham off the bone, English minced pies with brandy custard are all the usual norms. The turkey is normally Ok, but it can be a bit dry and tough [cooked by the junior partner, an American but definitely not a chef!]. But for FREE, it is all wonderful!

colmx
December 15th, 2009, 02:15
[strangely the Catholic 24th far outnumbers the Protestant 25th for the celebration]

I don't think the celebration of Christmas on the 24th/25th is a Catholic/Protestant thing...

Think its more of a Eastern Eurpore& Scandinava tradition to Celebrate on the 24th

Whilst the Western Eurpoe countries will celebrate on the 25th?

December 19th, 2009, 20:00
I am one of the "Bah! Humbug!" brigade and am coming to Pattaya to avoid the silly season BUT I really enjoyed a Christmas night in the Throb/Splash soi a while ago. I seem to recall sexy boys in santa costumes and a partial strip. An interesting juxtaposition of sleaze and remembered traditions :king:

Thailand is a fun place at any time and you are sure to have a memorable Christmas!

danny99
January 23rd, 2010, 10:40
[strangely the Catholic 24th far outnumbers the Protestant 25th for the celebration]

I don't think the celebration of Christmas on the 24th/25th is a Catholic/Protestant thing...

Think its more of a Eastern Eurpore& Scandinava tradition to Celebrate on the 24th

Whilst the Western Eurpoe countries will celebrate on the 25th?

Good Catholics go to midnight mass Christmas Eve after their Christmas Dinner, Good or pretending Protestants go to Morning service on Christmas Day before home to an all afternoon Christmas Lunch

January 23rd, 2010, 13:53
UPDATE: The free (donations were accepted) concert featured a full orchestra and concert choir performing HandelтАЩs тАЬMessiahтАЭ, HaydnтАЩs тАЬThe CreationтАЭ and BeethovenтАЩs тАЬOde to JoyтАЭ. These were all pieces I would have been enjoying (and probably participating in) back home. It was quite long but enjoyable.If it was the complete Messiah plus the complete other two it would have been very, very, very long.

maisoui
January 24th, 2010, 06:05
One of the nice things about the Winter Fest decorations in many Hong Kong Malls this Christmas was the re-themng of the celebration with the replacement of all that Germanic kitsch with oversized toys and fun cartoon characters. Not a manger in sight. Great.

colmx
January 24th, 2010, 06:10
Good Catholics go to midnight mass Christmas Eve after their Christmas Dinner, Good or pretending Protestants go to Morning service on Christmas Day before home to an all afternoon Christmas Lunch

Funnily enough where i come from the Drunks go to Midnight Mass on Christmas eve to save themselves from having to go on Christmas day!

Guess its Catholics like you that made the Protestants become protestants! :protest: :protest: :protest:

January 24th, 2010, 07:09
Funnily enough where i come from the Drunks go to Midnight Mass on Christmas eve to save themselves from having to go on Christmas day!I thought from reading about Ireland that they turned up drunk to help forget they had some priest grope them when they were an altar boy.