PDA

View Full Version : BlackBerry Use in Thailand

1PR4BKK
October 12th, 2009, 23:28
Hi Guys/Gals:

I am heading back to LOS in about one month.

I just purchased an unlocked BlackBerry Tour 9630 after being assured by my current cellular phone provider it can be used in Thailand with a local SIM card. The SIM card I have been using for the past year or so is by DTAC/Happy.

Does anyone have any idea if DTAC provide Blackberry service there? If not, what is the best provider for BB service?

Also, I have been trying to find out the price for monthly unlimited BB service. I am not bringing my laptop on this trip and plan to use my BB for most of my emailing and online updating.

Thanks for any information you can provide in this matter.

October 13th, 2009, 00:32
Blackberrys (Blackberries?) are now available here, with True as the official agent, so the services should also be available. Service speed will depend on Edge/GPRS proximity and, if you are in the sticks, which service provider's mast covers your area. In most of Thailand this should not be a problem so, at least in theory, it should not matter too much.

A month's Edge/GPRS unlimited use from 1-2 call is 999 baht + VAT (7%).

cdnmatt
October 13th, 2009, 01:28
I bought a Blackberry Storm in Canada, and they assured me it was unlocked, and I could use it in foreign countries (180+ countries to be exact!). Got to Thailand, and picked up a SIM card, only to find out that nope, the Blackberry is actually locked, and won't work on other networks.

So now I have this kickass Nokia that's worth about $20. Awesome!

Beachlover
October 13th, 2009, 03:02
You should do some kickass on the salesperson when you get back to Canada...

1PR4BKK
October 13th, 2009, 03:12
Thanks Gone Fishing for the info. You mentioned Edge/GPRS in your reply. Is that the platform that BB uses? If so, then the price is not bad from 1-2 Call. I can't wait to get there.

October 13th, 2009, 08:52
I bought a Blackberry Storm in Canada, and they assured me it was unlocked, and I could use it in foreign countries (180+ countries to be exact!). Got to Thailand, and picked up a SIM card, only to find out that nope, the Blackberry is actually locked, and won't work on other networks.

So now I have this kickass Nokia that's worth about $20. Awesome!

somebody at MBK will probably be able to unlock the Blackberry for a small fee. Blackberry arent so popular here, but I would be surprised if there isnt somebody there who works with Blackberry phones.

cdnmatt
October 13th, 2009, 09:16
Somebody at MBK will probably be able to unlock the Blackberry for a small fee. Blackberry arent so popular here, but I would be surprised if there isnt somebody there who works with Blackberry phones.

Nah, won't bother. I don't want anyone fucking with a $700 phone, especially when like you said, Blackberry's aren't popular here. That, and I think it's best if I pack a $20 cell around with me vs. a $700 phone in Thailand. It's not like I'm in a rush, and doing a bunch of business networking here or anything.

October 14th, 2009, 03:09
You mentioned Edge/GPRS in your reply. Is that the platform that BB uses? If so, then the price is not bad from 1-2 Call.

BB uses whatever system is available, so that is all you will get! Most antennas have been upgraded from GPRS to Edge, which is much faster (although if you are used to broadband you are unlikely to notice the difference and will find both snail-like). The only function you will probably be unable to use at all is the positioning system, as BB uses a different system to GPS which is not yet available here, and even GPS coverage can be limited. In the cities it will make virtually no difference what server you use, but some rural areas still have no coverage and in many coverage is limited to one network.

Depending on the BB model (don't ask me!) you should also be able to connect free from a growing number of wifi hotspots in most main cities - I'd suggest you contact BB yourself before coming, rather than just your dealer, to ensure you avoid Matt's BB problem.

If you are using the BB for calls as well you may need to balance the cost of local and international calls, calls to other suppliers, etc, as these vary enormously (eg anything from 25 satang to 2 baht 50 and even 5 baht a minute). As with most things, the more you use the cheaper it is (20 hours/100 baht a month is enough for me!). If you pay on a "monthly" basis it is renewed automatically every month (as long as you have enough in your account) and it is considerably cheaper than on a one-off "30 day" basis, even though you can cancel the monthly acount whenever you like.

Most of the suppliers (Hutch, True, DTAC, etc) have English websites so you could get more general details there.

1PR4BKK
October 14th, 2009, 17:13
You mentioned Edge/GPRS in your reply. Is that the platform that BB uses? If so, then the price is not bad from 1-2 Call.

BB uses whatever system is available, so that is all you will get! Most antennas have been upgraded from GPRS to Edge, which is much faster (although if you are used to broadband you are unlikely to notice the difference and will find both snail-like). The only function you will probably be unable to use at all is the positioning system, as BB uses a different system to GPS which is not yet available here, and even GPS coverage can be limited. In the cities it will make virtually no difference what server you use, but some rural areas still have no coverage and in many coverage is limited to one network.

Depending on the BB model (don't ask me!) you should also be able to connect free from a growing number of wifi hotspots in most main cities - I'd suggest you contact BB yourself before coming, rather than just your dealer, to ensure you avoid Matt's BB problem.

If you are using the BB for calls as well you may need to balance the cost of local and international calls, calls to other suppliers, etc, as these vary enormously (eg anything from 25 satang to 2 baht 50 and even 5 baht a minute). As with most things, the more you use the cheaper it is (20 hours/100 baht a month is enough for me!). If you pay on a "monthly" basis it is renewed automatically every month (as long as you have enough in your account) and it is considerably cheaper than on a one-off "30 day" basis, even though you can cancel the monthly acount whenever you like.

Most of the suppliers (Hutch, True, DTAC, etc) have English websites so you could get more general details there.

Hey Gone Fishing, thanks so much for this information. I have contacted BB and they said that I should be fine with the model I have (Tour 9630). They could not expound on the "unlimited" service that 1-2 Call or others provide. I am hoping that "unlimited" include not only the "email push" but also the internet browsing features of the BB. There are a couple of applications that I use that require unlimited data service. As for the wi-fi spots, this model does not have that capability (ugh!) but I will not sweat that non-feature.

After spending time in Thailand I am sure that I will have to get used to the snail-like speed of any internet service there since I use a broadband cable connection here in USA.

I do not plan to use my BB for voice since the number on my business cards is my DTAC number. I was told that DTAC does not offer service for BB. I have a small Sony Ericsson that I will use for my phone calls. When in Thailand I still find the Thai providers' prices for phone calls back to USA and other countries much less expensive than if I used my own service provider ($1.29 USD per minute).

I look forward to trying all of these theories out once I get there next month.

October 15th, 2009, 02:51
They could not expound on the "unlimited" service that 1-2 Call or others provide. I am hoping that "unlimited" include not only the "email push" but also the internet browsing features of the BB. There are a couple of applications that I use that require unlimited data service.

"unlimited" means "unlimited Edge/GPRS usage", whatever or however you use it - I don't know anone who has a BB here yet, so I hope BB are right. I use it (edit: my mobile, using Edge)as the modem for my laptop, and my more technologically advanced partner for browsing the net (edit: his mobile, using Edge!)with no problems - apart from speed, which doesn't worry me as I don't know any better!

1PR4BKK
October 15th, 2009, 18:01
They could not expound on the "unlimited" service that 1-2 Call or others provide. I am hoping that "unlimited" include not only the "email push" but also the internet browsing features of the BB. There are a couple of applications that I use that require unlimited data service.

"unlimited" means "unlimited Edge/GPRS usage", whatever or however you use it - I don't know anone who has a BB here yet, so I hope BB are right. I use it as the modem for my laptop, and my more technologically advanced partner for browsing the net with no problems - apart from speed, which doesn't worry me as I don't know any better!

Thanks Gone Fishing. I am confident I will be ok there in LOS using my BB.