PDA

View Full Version : Malaysia Hotel

camperboy
October 10th, 2009, 23:24
How is Malaysia Hotel these days??.... Are the rates still that good? Below 1000baht range.

I am thinking of coming to BKK at the end of the month. Do you guys think, it will be fully booked??

Its near to Silom area right? Walking distance? Thanks...

Oh yes, anyone stayed at Silom Convent Garden before? Or Regent Silom? Rates looks attractive...

October 11th, 2009, 00:39
Not within walking distance to any Silom bars. About 60 baht taxi to Silom bars.

Closest reference is Lumpini stadium and night market--about a 15 minute walk. To my knowledge the only gay place within walking distance is Babylon.

You can do a web check on prices. The rooms are mostly clean, but basic and worn.

October 11th, 2009, 00:59
I don't know about rates, but the rooms were quite run down.

If you're looking for something under 1000 baht. Look at the bottom of this post. I've stayed at the Pinnacle a couple times. If you book through Jimmy, he's offering some good rates on Standard and Superior rooms if you stay three days or more. Info at bottom.
The Standard and Deluxe rooms are in better shape than Malaysia's rooms and if you get the breakfast buffet, it's a pretty good deal.

Overall for what offered, it's a good deal. However, I decided to pay more to be right in the action.

The Malaysia is further down the same soi as the Pinnacle. It takes me 15 minutes to walk to Silom from there. I'd say 20 minutes from the Malaysia.
I just mapped it out on Google Earth. The approximate walking distance from the Malaysia to the Lumpinee MRT Station is about a 1/2 mile and to Silom it's about 1.2 miles.
I've walked back from Silom to the Pinnacle around 4am. The streets are quiet but eerie.

Parr is correct, it's about 60 baht for a metered cab.

The following are current UPDATED ROOM RATES and INFORMATION on Pinnacle Lumpinee Hotel, Bangkok

The Pinnacle has 179 well-appointed rooms. All rooms are equipped with individually controlled air conditioning units, private bathroom with shower and bathtub (except bathrooms in the renovated rooms on 14th and 15th floor which have only an overhead shower, NO bathtub), IDD phones, Satellite TV with in-house movies and mini-bar.

All rooms (Except JUNIOR SUITES AND PRESIDENTIAL SUITES) are exactly the same size but have different amenities and are located on different floors.

1) STANDARD rooms are on the 4th, 5th & 6th floor. Rooms are basic with lightly stocked mini bars; safety deposit boxes are available free of charge only at reception.

2) SUPERIOR rooms, "Newly refurbished rooms with new tiled floor (replacing carpet) and new paint work", are on the 7th, 8th, 9th & 10th floor and have additional coffee/tea making facilities, hairdryer and in-room safety deposit box.

3) DELUXE rooms are on the 11th, 12th & 13th floor and have additional coffee/tea making facilities, hairdryer, bathrobes, slippers and in-room safety deposit box.

4) PINNACLE rooms, "Renovated rooms", are on the 14th & 15th floor and have additional coffee/tea making facilities, hairdryer, bathrobes, slippers, in-room safety deposit box, 32" LCD Screen TV and DVD player.

5) JUNIOR SUITES are on the 11th, 12th & 13th floor and have additional coffee/tea making facilities, hairdryer, bathrobes, slippers and in-room safety deposit box. They are larger than Standard, Superior, Deluxe and Pinnacle rooms with a separate bedroom and living area.

6) PRESIDENTIAL SUITES are on the 11th, 12th & 13th floor and have additional coffee/tea making facilities, hairdryer, bathrobes, slippers and in-room safety deposit box. They are larger than Standard, Superior, Deluxe and Pinnacle rooms with a separate bedroom and larger living area than Junior suite's.

************************************************** ************************************************** ******

The room rates for the Pinnacle Lumpinee Hotel, Bangkok that we offer currently

from NOW until 31 OCTOBER, 2010 are as follows :

(**SPECIAL PROMOTION = PACKAGE(S) OF 3 CONSECUTIVE NIGHTS**)

************************************************** ************************************************** ******

1) STANDARD ROOMS (4th, 5th & 6th Floor) :
======================================
1.1) STANDARD, for 1 person, without breakfast = 940 baht/night (**Every 3 consecutive nights = 640 baht/night)
1.2) STANDARD, for 2 persons, without breakfast = 1,040 baht/night (**Every 3 consecutive nights = 740 baht/night)
1.3) STANDARD, for 1 person, with breakfast = 1,040 baht/night (**Every 3 consecutive nights = 740 baht/night)
1.4) STANDARD, for 2 persons, with breakfast = 1,140 baht/night (**Every 3 consecutive nights = 840 baht/night)

2) SUPERIOR ROOMS : "Newly refurbished rooms" (7th, 8th, 9th & 10th Floor) :
================================================== =====================
2.1) SUPERIOR, for 1 person, without breakfast = 1,040 baht/night (**Every 3 consecutive nights = 740 baht/night)
2.2) SUPERIOR, for 2 persons, without breakfast = 1,140 baht/night (**Every 3 consecutive nights = 840 baht/night)
2.3) SUPERIOR, for 1 person, with breakfast = 1,140 baht/night (**Every 3 consecutive nights = 840 baht/night)
2.4) SUPERIOR, for 2 persons, with breakfast = 1,240 baht/night (**Every 3 consecutive nights = 940 baht/night)

3) DELUXE ROOMS (11th, 12th & 13th Floor) :
======================================
3.1) DELUXE, for 1 person, without breakfast = 1,190 baht/night (**Every 3 consecutive nights = 890 baht/night)
3.2) DELUXE, for 2 persons, without breakfast = 1,290 baht/night (**Every 3 consecutive nights = 990 baht/night)
3.3) DELUXE, for 1 person, with breakfast = 1,290 baht/night (**Every 3 consecutive nights = 990 baht/night)
3.4) DELUXE, for 2 persons, with breakfast = 1,390 baht/night (**Every 3 consecutive nights = 1,090 baht/night)

4) PINNACLE ROOMS : "Renovated rooms" (14th & 15th Floor) - Non-smoking rooms ONLY :
================================================== ==============================
4.1) PINNACLE, for 1 person, without breakfast = 1,950 baht/night (**Every 3 consecutive nights = 1,350 baht/night)
4.2) PINNACLE, for 2 persons, without breakfast = 2,050 baht/night (**Every 3 consecutive nights = 1,450 baht/night)
4.3) PINNACLE, for 1 person, with breakfast = 2,150 baht/night (**Every 3 consecutive nights = 1,450 baht/night)
4.4) PINNACLE, for 2 persons, with breakfast = 2,250 baht/night (**Every 3 consecutive nights = 1,550 baht/night)

5) JUNIOR SUITE = One bed room with a big bed + a separate living room (11th, 12th & 13th Floor) :
================================================== ==============================
5.1) JUNIOR SUITE, for 1 person, without breakfast = 1,990 baht/night (**Every 3 consecutive nights = 1,390 baht/night)
5.2) JUNIOR SUITE, for 2 persons, without breakfast = 2,090 baht/night (**Every 3 consecutive nights = 1,490 baht/night)
5.3) JUNIOR SUITE, for 1 person, with breakfast = 2,190 baht/night (**Every 3 consecutive nights = 1,590 baht/night)
5.4) JUNIOR SUITE, for 2 persons, with breakfast = 2,290 baht/night (**Every 3 consecutive nights = 1,690 baht/night)

6) PRESIDENTIAL SUITE = One bed room with a big bed + a separate larger living room (11th, 12th & 13th Floor) :
================================================== =========================================
6.1) PRESIDENTIAL SUITE, for 1 person, without breakfast = 2,350 baht/night (**Every 3 consecutive nights = 1,650 baht/night)
6.2) PRESIDENTIAL SUITE, for 2 persons, without breakfast = 2,450 baht/night (**Every 3 consecutive nights = 1,750 baht/night)
6.3) PRESIDENTIAL SUITE, for 1 person, with breakfast = 2,550 baht/night (**Every 3 consecutive nights = 1,850 baht/night)
6.4) PRESIDENTIAL SUITE, for 2 persons, with breakfast = 2,650 baht/night (**Every 3 consecutive nights = 1,950 baht/night)

7) EXTRA BED (For all room types)* :
==============================
7.1) EXTRA BED, without breakfast = 450 baht/night (**Every 3 consecutive nights = 300 baht/night)
7.2) EXTRA BED, with breakfast = 550 baht/night (**Every 3 consecutive nights = 360 baht/night)

*Children Policy : Children from 2 to 12 years old stay for free when sharing the bed with their parents.
Extra bed and meal rates will be charged at 50% discount rates.

8) LATE CHECK OUT (For all room types) :
===================================
Extra charge for a Late Check Out of no later than 6 PM is 500 baht. IF CHECKING OUT AFTER 6 PM, A FULL NIGHT WIIL BE CHARGED.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PLEASE NOTE: FOR AN ADDITIONAL 150 BAHT, THE BREAKFAST COUPON CAN BE EXCHANGED FOR THE BUFFET LUNCH (Monday through Friday only, except public holidays). THIS SPECIAL OFFER IS AVAILABLE ONLY TO GUESTS BOOKING THROUGH J.F. HOLIDAYS, NOT THROUGH OTHER AGENTS OR DIRECT WITH THE HOTEL.

Remarks :
========

01) All taxes and service charges are included in the above prices.

02) Changes or Cancellation is free of charge provided you notify us no later than the date of your arrival. No show will be charged at the rate of 1 night.

03) As of 1 October '08, the Wireless Internet Access is Free Of Charge.

04) Bathrooms for STANDARD, SUPERIOR, DELUXE, JUNIOR SUITES AND PESIDENTIAL SUITES have a bathtub with an overhead shower.

05) Bathrooms for the PINNACLE ROOMS (Renovated rooms on 14th & 15th floor) have only an overhead shower, NO bathtub.

06) All rooms on the 4th, 7th, 9th & 11th floor are Smoking rooms.

07) All rooms on the 5th, 6th, 8th, 10th, 12th, 13th, 14th & 15th floor are Non-smoking rooms.

08) Big bed, Smoking and Non-smoking rooms, and special requests for a certain floor are Subject to availability at check-in.

09) The above rates may be subject to change.

***10) The hotel reserves the right to charge a fee to customers who book for one person but have an overnight visitor in the room. Therefore, we recommend customers book for two persons to avoid this fee. Note: There is no extra charge for daytime visitors but only from 6 am until 11 pm. After 11 pm and before 6 am, the hotel will consider as overnight visitors.

11) PLEASE NOTE THESE SPECIAL PRICES ARE ONLY FOR BOOKINGS MADE THROUGH J.F. HOLIDAYS, NOT DIRECT WITH THE HOTEL.

12) Payment must be made to J.F. Holidays in room 1312, NOT to the hotel.

13) Payment can be made after checking into the room. Payment must be in CASH ONLY (Thai Baht) and is due immediately after checking-in (or within 24 hours after checking-in, at the latest). Otherwise, you will NOT receive the special rates shown above. NOTE: Office hours for payment are normally 10 AM тАУ 3 PM.

14) Complete instructions for payment will be given to you again with the booking confirmation.

************************************************** *************************************************

PLEASE PROVIDE THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION WHEN MAKING THE BOOKING(S) :

01) FAMILY NAME and GIVEN NAME as shown on the passport :
02) The room type preferred :
03) With or Without Breakfast :
04) 1 big bed or 2 single beds :
05) Smoking or Non-smoking room :
06) Number of rooms required :
07) Number of persons per room (***Please see remarks # 10 above) :
08) Check-In and Check-out Dates :
09) Arrival flight details and estimated arrival time at the airport :
10) Estimated arrival time at the hotel :
11) Your contact telephone number(s) :
12) Also, an alternative email address (if any) would be helpful :

************************************************** *************************************************

Thank you for your inquiry. We hope to hear from you soon.

Best regards,

Jimmy / J.F. Holidays Travel & Trading Ltd., Part.
C/O : Pinnacle Lumpinee Hotel, Bangkok
Room # 1312
Tel : 02-287-0111
Mobile : 081-859-6585
E-mail : jimmyfirst@hotmail.com

October 11th, 2009, 03:04

No he is not.
I am staying at The Malaysia Hotel right now and I can tell you that it is 41 or sometimes 43 Baht from The Malaysia to the Silom area near DJ Station. It's 43 or sometimes 45 Baht to the Soi 4 Area.
If you go to Soi Twilight it's 45 to 50 Baht.

The current rate is 699/night for a deluxe room which is OK (not run down) but what do you expect for US$33 a night? The room has a double bed with clean sheets daily; maid service daily; an adequate bathroon, fridge, cable TV and aircon. The whole hotel is clean and the staff are very friendly.

Malaysia is often fully booked so you need to make a reservation and pay for the first night to ensure that they keep your room. It is an excellent hotel for the price but has a lot of detractors - why? I don't know.

Why soi-toi needs to run it down in favor of the less popular Pinnacle is a mystery. Is Jimmy giving you a portion?

October 11th, 2009, 03:12
"About 60 baht taxi to Silom bars."

Hmm strange in June I did not pay more than a littlebit more than 40 baht for the same distance.
If you are just a littlebit fit it is very easy to walk to the Lumpinee subway.

October 11th, 2009, 03:19
"The current rate is 699/night for a deluxe room"

Wow that is damm cheap
http://www.malaysiahotelbkk.com/rates.html

I will make an request for late november, but am sure I will not get your great deal.

October 11th, 2009, 03:29
It's not that far to walk from Silom to Pinnacle or Malaysia. I've done it many times, takes around 20 minutes to Pinnacle and another 5-10 minutes to Malaysia.

Yes, 45 baht is normally the fare from Silom to both Malaysia and Pinnacle. Be sure you take it in the right direction. Take it outside the big 7/11 opposite the street from Soi 4 so they dont have to drive around to make a u-turn.

The Metro from Lumphini is 16 baht to Silom, around 5 minutes walk to the station from Pinnacle and 10 from Malaysia. The Metro runs to 11.30 pm.

I stayed at Pinnacle last week. The hotel is nice, the standard better then Malaysia, but I missed the Coffe Shop and poolarea at Malaysia. The athmosphere is more friendly and relaxed I would say at Malaysia and always a lot of boys cruising around. I will stay there at my next trip.

October 11th, 2009, 05:37

Why soi-toi needs to run it down in favor of the less popular Pinnacle is a mystery. Is Jimmy giving you a portion?

I'm not running it down. You don't need to take it personally if you think I'm dumping on your love nest, but if you do, that's your business. You're free to stay where you want.

I took a peak, the room looked like a dump so I preferred to stay down the street. It's called 'preference'. Every one has one, and a level of comfort.
I think the Pinnacle is run down, but for $40/night, a view and a decent buffet breakfast, I recommend it for the value. There would be people that won't touch either place with a ten foot pole and I won't take that personally.

Why did I post the most recent rates? I'm passing on info, which a member did last year. Which is partly what this forum is about.
It's also another option in the area the member was inquiring, one which if your also read, I'm passing on this trip.

Taxi - the most I ever paid was 55 baht, from Suriwong. So 'about' 60, is good enough, with a tip, which I tend to do. Maybe under 60 would have said it better but for less than $2 for the trip, you're free to b*tch over 20 baht should you choose to do so.

October 11th, 2009, 06:02
"Taxi, the most I ever paid was 55 baht, from Suriwong. So 'about' 60, is good enough. Less than $2."

No sorry to say this, but when you tell something totally wrong we are allowed to tell it is wrong. I dont care if I have to pay 35-40-50 baht to go from Duplee, but you said that Parr was correct about the 60 baht, He is not. Malaysia-Pinnacle-Silom soi 2 or 4 is around 35-40+ baht.
BTW Never take a cab on the wrong side of Silom home to Sathorn. Always cross the street...even if you are druk, hehe :laughing3:

October 11th, 2009, 06:11
"Taxi, the most I ever paid was 55 baht, from Suriwong. So 'about' 60, is good enough. Less than $2."

No sorry to say this, but when you tell something totally wrong we are allowed to tell it is wrong.

You think 20 baht is 'totally wrong'. You're entitled to your opinion.

In case English isn't your native language, the word 'about', as used in this context, means 'approximately'. I never said exactly.

I can see why you would choose to say at the Malaysia if you're worried about 60 cents.

I'm not Donald Trump and I travel on a budget. I understand why people look for hotels in certain price ranges.

October 11th, 2009, 06:24

No sorry to say this, but when you tell something totally wrong we are allowed to tell it is wrong.

You think 20 baht is 'totally wrong'. You're entitled to your opinion.

In case English isn't your native language, the word 'about', as used in this context, means 'approximately'. I never said exactly.

I can see why you would choose to say at the Malaysia if you're worried about 60 cents.

Dear
I think my thaifriend dont want me to throw away 20 bahts, there and there, he can use them in a better way.
As I told you I dont care about the 20 baht, my reaction was only that you were wrong about the 60 baht from NangDuplee to Silom Soi 2 or 4. When someone write what I know is wrong I cant stop reacting.

" I can see why you would choose to say at the Malaysia if you're worried about 60 cents."

Long time since I stayed at Malaysia, but I would never look down at people staying there, like you do.

painai2
October 11th, 2009, 09:44
It looks like this is turning into another Malaysia versus Pinnacle thread. I personally like the Malaysia. The only drawback is that they are often full. If you come during the high season, they may put you up in the guest house for one night--even with a paid reservation. The problem is that they won't kick you out if you want to extend your stay. That messes up their advance reservation bookings. What I like about the hotel is the friendly staff and the cruising going on in the parking lot and coffee shop. Also, the taxi is about 45-50 baht to the Soi Twilight district. It used to be 35-40 baht until the price of taxis went up awhile back. It's a bit of a walk to the Silom area, especially if you don't to arrive all sweaty for your night on the town.

October 11th, 2009, 10:35
The Malaysia Guest House, which is down from the 7/11 in the soi beside Honey Guest House and the Italian restaurant is good value, 300B to 400B. No breakfast. I have used this place as a ST fuck pad on occasions.

The rooms and clean & small, and have a TV set, and a shared fridge in the lobby, and DO ask for one with a window!

You also get 2 free bottled water per day. You can also use the malaysia pool free. Which of course, is an experience in itself...

Breakfast can be at Honey Guest House. 80B with eggs any style and coffee and fruit.

I think there is about 18 rooms. No probs with guests etc. So, for those on a budget, this could suit.

Koh Samui Luv
October 11th, 2009, 12:48

No he is not.
I am staying at The Malaysia Hotel right now and I can tell you that it is 41 or sometimes 43 Baht from The Malaysia to the Silom area near DJ Station. It's 43 or sometimes 45 Baht to the Soi 4 Area.

The current rate is 699/night for a deluxe room which is OK (not run down) but what do you expect for US$33 a night? The room has a double bed with clean sheets daily; maid service daily; an adequate bathroon, fridge, cable TV and aircon. The whole hotel is clean and the staff are very friendly.

GBS is another picky member who has no idea what he is talking about and can't do simple math.
If you took the time to look at the Malaysia Hotel web site you would see that the rate for a Deluxe room is 928 Baht for single occupancy. Their Superior room is 808 Baht, and their Standard room which has no TV and no bath tub is 698 Baht.

GBS also thinks that 699 Baht is US $33. I'd love to change some of your US $ into Thai Baht GBS!

If you pay attention to the nutcases who stay at the Malaysia, you will be in for a rude awakening in more ways than one: the place is also known for very noisy guests who all seem to go to bed at dawn after all night sessions of tap dancing in their rooms. However, if you want to get an insight into the working of a lunatic asylum, sit in the lobby and spend some time talking to the guests who stay there.

Smiles
October 11th, 2009, 13:12
" ... However, if you want to get an insight into the working of a lunatic asylum, sit in the lobby and spend some time talking to the guests who stay there ... "
Sounds like fun. I'll do that sometime.
To add to the ambiance, I've heard that Beach Bunny has a small office just off the coffee shop, quite close to the toilets.

camperboy
October 11th, 2009, 14:45
Woah :boxing:

Lots of opinions about Malaysia Hotel.

Relax guys. Thanks lot for your input. It seems that MH is still alright considering the amount we will be paying.....

With regards to Pinnacle, the rates are very good. But check with the website, the difference is huge.

And in the T&C, we pay in a room rather the hotel counter. Seems that the "agency" has some dealing with the hotel? So we go straight to the room to get the keys..?

Oh and end of OCT, is it the high season?

Beachlover
October 11th, 2009, 19:30
Just to visit this renowned (in the gay community) destination, I dropped by the Malaysia Hotel and had a bite to eat once.

* It did feel like a warm and friendly place... quiet and peaceful

* I agree the place is pretty far out of the way... you need to get a taxi (or go for a long walk) to get to anywhere, which wouldn't be acceptable to some people

* The rooms look pretty small and cheap on the website... but adequate, I guess

* I don't think spending 40-80 baht on taxis each time you go somewhere is an issue if you're saving so much money on the hotel room...

* I think it'd be more ok for long-term residents (staying for a few weeks... not a few days) because if you're staying longer, you probably don't mind being in a more out of the way location. The quiet location might suit a relaxed holiday better... but if you're only staying a few days or 1-2 weeks it's best to stay somewhere more convenient.

Personally... I hate wasting time travelling and going back and fourth so for me, any hotel needs to be within 100-200 metres of the skytrain, some nice eateries and preferably near the nightlife.

colmx
October 11th, 2009, 21:14
BeachLover
You are forgetting that most sexually active gay people visiting Bkk will want to hit Babylon

So from that perspective the Malaysia is much more conveniently located than anywhere in Silom...

Assuming that its a case of pay for the Taxis in the afternoon (to/from Sathorn) or pay for them in the evening (to/from Silom)

In my case its Sathorn all the way
Myself and another farang friend will be staying in the new Ibis opposite the Malaysia in 2 weeks time

Will update with a post as soon as i know what its like!

Beachlover
October 12th, 2009, 02:44
Yes, I know Babylon is quite nearby... and also, Lumpini Night Markets are reasonably nearby as well right?

But Babylon is still quite a walk... I think just getting from the turn off down to where Babylon is a good 10-minute walk...especially in the hot season. Of course, you can take a shower when you get there...

October 12th, 2009, 03:57
"so for me, any hotel needs to be within 100-200 metres of the skytrain, some nice eateries and preferably near the nightlife."

" I think just getting from the turn off down to where Babylon is a good 10-minute walk...especially in the hot season"
Beachlover I did not know you were so afraid of at little walk, I thought from what you have been writing earlier that you are not that old.

BTW Sathorn has in many Years been the place to stay for me. Relaxed area,, many sois to go into, with nice small houses, lot of plases to eat, not so noizy and pollyted as Silom, but very close to Silom by undergroung or a cheap taxi ride. I have been thinking to stay in Silom next time, but i am sure I will again stay in Sathorn on my next trip too. And I dont understand that Satorn should be out of the fun, Taxi or MTR makes is in the middle of everythings.'In the area there are many good restaurants and street wendors.
have you ever stayed in the Sathorn area?, give it a try, and tel us if you liked or not.

Beachlover
October 12th, 2009, 17:41
I don't mind walking at all, hansithe2... on my first trip to Thailand a couple of years ago I walked about 100kms through the beautiful hills West of Chiang Mai near Burma.

The issue I have is time... so convenience is king for me. Having everything within 1-2 mins walk saves so much time.

I agree Sathorn is a nice place to stay... there's some nice serviced apartments I've considered staying at... but personally I think it's more suited for people on extended stays.

If you're staying for a few weeks or months than a lazy 20-25 min stroll to Silom or up to Lumpinee night markets is no problem and probably quite enjoyable. And it probably feels better to live somewhere quiet and chilled out like Sathorn. But I'm only ever there for 3-5 days at a time so I've only ever stayed in places within 200-300 metres of Saladeng BTS where I know everything's at my doorstep.

The convenience in Silom is fantastic. DJ Station and the rest of Patpong is across the road. And Soi Twilight is a 5 min stroll too. If you want a massage you only need to pop downstairs and there are 5-10 places within 2 mins walk along Silom Rd. Lots of nice eateries around on the main road and the nearby side streets. Lumpinee Park is across the road. And you only need to pop downstairs to hop on the BTS.

Anyway... it's just a personal preference. If I was staying for longer, I think I might move to Sathorn or somewhere more quiet after a while. It's also good deal less expensive in the Sathorn area.

Brad the Impala
October 12th, 2009, 22:42
The convenience in Silom is fantastic. DJ Station and the rest of Patpong is across the road. And Soi Twilight is a 5 min stroll too. If you want a massage you only need to pop downstairs and there are 5-10 places within 2 mins walk along Silom Rd. Lots of nice eateries around on the main road and the nearby side streets. Lumpinee Park is across the road. And you only need to pop downstairs to hop on the BTS.

I have posted this before, but a recommendation in that area, is the Chinese Noodle Shop which is at the junction of Saladaeng and Silom. I first visited it over thirty years ago, and the family who run it haven't changed the decoration(minimal) or the noodle soup ingredients in that time. Terrific, 25 Baht a bowl, it is our regular brunch when in Bangkok. It gets particularly busy at lunchtimes from local office staff, and has usually sold out by early afternoon.

Beachlover
October 13th, 2009, 18:31
Thanks Brad... I'll look out for this place.

Wow... 30 years... that's a long time to run a business so consistently.

October 14th, 2009, 03:05

No he is not.

Such entertainment on here - and all for free!

Where else could you get people arguing over a 10-17 baht difference in a taxi fare?

It beggars belief.

:laughing3:

October 14th, 2009, 07:15
Such entertainment on here - and all for free!

Aye, but it can't compare to the free entertainment back in your home

[youtube:io1qrbf5]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlltylOV23g[/youtube:io1qrbf5]

:rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

danny99
October 22nd, 2009, 10:25
I find it very strange that the Pinnacle Lumpinee vs Malaysia debate still continues. How can you compare an apple with an orange?

Yes, nothing has changed at The Malaysia, prices are still under Baht 1,000 [if you are lucky you will get a bed without bed bugs], the reception staff still think you owe them eternal gratitude for letting you stay there but do not be 30 minutes late coming from the airport or your room [confirmed many times by email] will have been let to someone else, of course upmarket rooms are usually available instead, same rooms 200 baht more but with carpet on the floor and a view over swimming pool. Still has same restaurant with boring overpriced [for Thailand] food that may even be still warm if you are lucky. Share your breakfast with tables of corrupt police enjoying their free breakfasts in return for allowing the place to sell booze to anyone at any time of the night, to say nothing of the illegal gambling in the aircon room at the end. Use of internet is available at a price, after waiting in queue for an hour or two, whilst listening to all the old English regulars talking about their latest 'boys' who had tried to rip them off for 20 baht! The Malaysia is their sort of hotel!

I used to stay at The Malaysia for a week or so, every 2 months, for about 5 years, till I discovered the Pinnacle Lumpinee.

I do not use Jimmy, as he never answers emails and I detest standing in a queue in the corridor outside his room/office for 20-30 minutes just to see/pay him, and then cash only!

I book through Agoda, pay with FFlyer points earning credit card, well in advance so usually around $US29, also earn Agoda points which usually cuts a few days cost off the following trip to Bangkok or elsewhere. YES that looks more expensive than The Malaysia, but it is not! A large relatively good buffet breakfast is included, as is free wi=fi in your room 24 hours. On the roof is a swimming pool [more private and secluded than the one at the Malaysia] and also with sauna and steam room in change rooms [actually clean and with showers that work, sometimes even someone to share them with you]. So add the room rate at the Malaysia to daily internet useage [for me 100-200 baht] and the cost of a comparable buffet breakfast, access to sauna/steam room + extras, and Pinnacle Lumpinee is cheaper and far better value, and whilst it is not 5 star by any means, probably about a 3 star, it is class as compared to The Malaysia. And only 500metres from the underground station in Rama IV, easily linking to either Silom or Sukhumvit.

The taxi ride home from Silom, well that depends on time of day/night and traffic on Sathong where you make a U turn, anywhere between Baht 40 and 80, and if late at night often possible to entertain the young Isaan driver back at the hotel if you wish?

Art
October 22nd, 2009, 23:52
┬╗VINA SANTI: IF THESE WALLS COULD TALK

FROM THE VIETNAM WAR THROUGH THE ADVENT OF VIAGRA, MALAYSIA HOTEL IS STILL GOING STRONG

At the peak of the Vietnam War in the mid-1960s, thousands of American servicemen trooped into Bangkok for their Rest & Recreation. As we all know, they took the "recreation'' part very seriously and their requirement of "rest" also triggered an accommodation boom.

After 36 years, Malaysia Hotel today is virtually unchanged. A series of cheap hotels owned by local Thai-Chinese families sprung up in the nooks and crannies of central Bangkok. Most of them were built in the same recognizably inglorious manner: a single block of concrete structures offering no-frills rooms with almost no amenities in order to fit the cheap budgets and the soldiers' R&R activities.

One of these lodgings that has survived until today is called, curiously, Malaysia Hotel. In 1967 Khun Bae Teng Hui, a garment merchant, decided to jump on this gold-digging bandwagon by converting the 900-square-wah garden space of his own residence on Soi Saphan Khoo near Bon Kai better known today as Soi Ngam Duplee into a hotel building of 120 rooms.

The name of the premises is the result of a multi-lingual word play: the owner's original Chinese family name is translated as "mah'', or a horse in Thai, and he extended it into "Malaysia'' for the sake of convenience. So no, it has nothing whatsoever to do with the country south of our border.

During the early years, the hotel fixed the rate of its 120 rooms at 120 baht, but it was obliged to give a 60-baht commission to the taxi drivers for each customer they brought to the door. That was a huge expense, and things got worse when the war ended and all GIs were called back home.

Facing difficulties, the hotel was almost converted into a hospital when the owner struggled for his last card. His tactic was to reduce the room rate by half, and he cancelled the traditional tea-money given to the unsolicited agents.

This plan worked, and Malaysia Hotel began to attract a new species of red-headed visitors: the very first batch of backpackers seeking the exotic squalour of the Far East. Immediately the hotel and its neighbourhood became a bustling hub of shoestring travellers, claiming international fame when it was featured in the Lonely Planet, a backpacker's guidebook.

It remained popular for over two decades fostering famous and infamous reputations among backpackers until the gaudy strip of Khao San Road rose up and stole the limelight in the 1990s.

Today Malaysia Hotel, under the helm of its second-generation owners, Amnuay Rungsubhakritanond and his brother Manit, is still operating the same grubby 120 rooms.

The premises' overall look is virtually unchanged, and the favourite low-budget scheme still works: the room rates are now 588 to 668 baht, and the management says that the hotel has 80% occupancy rate year round. Most bookings now come through the Internet, and there is a considerable amount of return visitors.

Long after the war, and 36 years after receiving its first customer, it's still the same R&R activities here at Malaysia Hotel.┬л

http://www.sprayawaybedbugs.com/files/bed_bugs_life_cycle.png

┬╗Do bed bugs bite? Yes. All bed bugs bite.
The male bed bug requires a blood meal in order to produce sperm.
The female bed bug requires a blood meal to produce eggs.
The juvenile bed bugs (nymphs) require a blood meal to moult to the next stage.
Bed bugs insert their proboscis (mouth part) into the skin of their host. Their saliva delivers an
anticoagulant via one tube to promote blood flow, while another tube sucks up the blood.┬л

┬╗May any auspicious purifying power (pu├▒├▒a) generated by writing this work be for the benefit of my parents, wife and daughter, all who read this book, and indeed all beings.┬л Peter Harvey, тА║An Introduction to Buddhism: Teachings, History
and Practices, Cambridge University Press 1990.тА╣

Even bed bugs have human friends! And budget hotels with a very high occupancy rate in the high season and a basket
for Thai IDs are predestined for bed bug tales. Can 374 pages generate enough purifying power for all the police-
men who frequent Soi Ngam Duplee, let alone the remaining regular customers? LONG LIVE HOTEL MALAYSIA!

Don't Let the Bed Bugs Bite Act of 2009 (http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c111:H.R.2248:)

Surfcrest
October 23rd, 2009, 11:30
I personally love the Malaysia Hotel. IтАЩve been staying at the Malaysia Hotel while on short stays in Bangkok for nearly twenty years and one of the things I love most about this place is that it doesnтАЩt change.

The turnover of staff at the Malaysia is incredibly slow. This allows the guest to develop relationships with the staff that ensures needs will be anticipated somewhat. I believe in a relationship where the guest and the staff look after each other and this has always enhanced my stay wherever that is and especially at the Malaysia. The staff at the Malaysia is one of the friendliest from hotels IтАЩve visited around the planet. Even when IтАЩve been away for a few years, they still remember me as though IтАЩve only been away a few weeks.

This is a 2 or 3 Star hotel. The beds are old the carpet is worn. I couldnтАЩt imaging staying here long term. The beds would be too uncomfortable for anything more than a week. The rooms are a fair size, plenty of storage space (We arenтАЩt backpackers). The sheets and towels smell good and clean, the towels come wrapped in plastic from the laundry. The cleaning staff is quite friendly and can work around your schedule.

Malaysia sets the bar, when it comes to really enjoying the sex trade in Bangkok. They take the boyтАЩs ID at the desk when you call for your room key, and they call again upon his exit, before they hand back the ID to make sure everything is okayтАжno cash / valuables are missing. Sometimes boys come back for seconds a few days later. Nice to know the Malaysia is going to pre-screen them for you, ring you up to see if you want to invite them up for a replay or not. The boys may turn their noses up when you tell them where youтАЩre staying, for me this tells me a little about them already.

Sometimes when IтАЩm in Thailand, IтАЩm mainly looking to soak up a bit of sun. The pool allows me to hang out in the morning тАУ mid day sun when thereтАЩs not much happening yet in the city. I enjoy a big Kloster beer outdoors by the big black serpents in the aquarium in the afternoon and donтАЩt mind listening to all the grey foxes talking about their Thai exploits the lounge at times. These guys can tell you all sorts of stories about the sex trade when they were young. The restaurant is a convenient favourite for me in the morning and late night. God Bless the cops sitting over in the corner, at least I know there wonтАЩt be any trouble. If having cops eat free allows me to have a drink at whatever hour I land, well good to that too!

If I were to go to Babylon (I enjoy Chakran more), IтАЩd grab a bike at the corner. I enjoy the open air while in Bangkok and not much can go wrong in this short trip. ThereтАЩs always one waiting at the door to take you back. ItтАЩs an easy walk to Lumpini MRT, connections to Sala Daeng BTS. ItтАЩs a pretty easy walk but watch out for the dog turd on the sidewalk. I canтАЩt imagine wanting to go to the Lumpini Night Market, is this somewhere you would want to go on a regular basis? Muay Thai at Lumpini Stadium on the other hand is a fun night out and not much farther than the subway.

Coming home late at night can be a problem. If you have a boy, theyтАЩll probably work this out for you with a cabтАжsometimes even a tuk tuk. Taxis arenтАЩt fussy about the trip as itтАЩs not too far and mainly waiting at lights or navigating through roundabouts than fare generating travel.

If you donтАЩt find anything to your taste, there are quite often last chance consolation prizes available in the lobby, restaurant or front steps of the Malaysia and at all hours. These are the only bed bugs I and many repeat customers have ever experienced here (or the Malaysian wouldnтАЩt be full all the time) and Hey! Some may not bite hard butтАжтАж.

Koh Samui Luv
October 23rd, 2009, 13:51
I personally love the Malaysia Hotel. IтАЩve been staying at the Malaysia Hotel while on short stays in Bangkok for nearly twenty years and one of the things I love most about this place is that it doesnтАЩt change.

Right Surfcrest! And the main thing I have found that never changes is that the guys in the rooms above you always practice tap dancing all night and go to bed at dawn! That added to the noise from the street if you have a room facing the front of the hotel, and their custom concrete mattresses make for lots of sleepless nights.

I must admit that I have never encountered bed bugs there, but lots of the boys in BKK have scabies and body lice.

And I agree that the cops in the coffee shop don't bother me at all. Why should they? They mind their own business so their presence is no concern of mine. On the other hand, the farang lunatics who hang around the lobby, many of whom are not even residents of the hotel, are a real fucking nuisance... backbiting, petty, two-faced, gossiping bitches for the most part. They can make your life there a living hell if get on the wrong side of them.

And indeed, all this never changes.

October 23rd, 2009, 14:26
... but lots of the boys in BKK have scabies and body lice.

Maybe the ones you go with.

But some people are into that type of thing .... :pauc:

Koh Samui Luv
October 23rd, 2009, 17:02
[quote="Koh Samui Luv":5kbidkpz] ... but lots of the boys in BKK have scabies and body lice.

But some people are into that type of thing .... :pauc:[/quote:5kbidkpz]

Uh-oh! Do I smell another queen who thinks his shit doesn't stink?
I presume the boys you go with also don't get or have things like chlamydia, gonorrhea, genital herpes, genital warts, syphilis, and HIV!
Or do you think there are some people who are "into that type of thing" as well?
Good luck dude!

October 23rd, 2009, 20:07
[quote="Lovely_Rs":36xn24ws][quote="Koh Samui Luv":36xn24ws] ... but lots of the boys in BKK have scabies and body lice.

But some people are into that type of thing .... :pauc:[/quote:36xn24ws]

I presume the boys you go with also don't get or have things like chlamydia, gonorrhea, genital herpes, genital warts, syphilis, and HIV!
Or do you think there are some people who are "into that type of thing" as well?
Good luck dude![/quote:36xn24ws]

In the last 5 years of living in Bangkok I have had a very active sex life and had crabs once and that was caught (I think) from a boy in Pattaya. That's a better score/catch average than any other place I've lived in the world.

Most Thais are incredibly sensitive and fastidious about personal hygiene.

Why did you choose to single out "boys in BKK" rather than in Pattaya, Phuket or Thailand as a whole or any other city or country?

My experience of sex in Bangkok is that it's the cleanest sex I have had anywhere - since your experiences are different I can only assume that your have ticked the 'Dirty' box on your Gay Romeo profile!!!

Koh Samui Luv
October 23rd, 2009, 21:13
In the last 5 years of living in Bangkok I have had a very active sex life and had crabs once and that was caught (I think) from a boy in Pattaya. That's a better score/catch average than any other place I've lived in the world.

Most Thais are incredibly sensitive and fastidious about personal hygiene.

Why did you choose to single out "boys in BKK" rather than in Pattaya, Phuket or Thailand as a whole or any other city or country?

My experience of sex in Bangkok is that it's the cleanest sex I have had anywhere - since your experiences are different I can only assume that your have ticked the 'Dirty' box on your Gay Romeo profile!!!

This thread is about the Malaysia Hotel. My comment that you reacted to concerned my observation that I had never found bedbugs at the Malaysia. I only brought up the lice and scabies issue parenthetically since they are similarly bug-like, and several of the guests there had told me they had become infested with them from the BKK moneyboys they brought to their rooms.

You should understand that what you refer to casually as "personal hygiene" has little to do with catching most if not all STDs. And speaking of that, most Thai moneyboys like to give themselves a quick enema before having sex with the hand bidets found in many hotels in Thailand, but NOT in the Malaysia Hotel which lacks this device in its bathrooms. Despite the fact that this mini-enema may succeed in keeping your cock clean if you fuck your trick, it is hardly a prophylactic against any STD.

Not only do you insist on going off topic but also you turn everything into a personal polemic. For your information I have never contracted any STD of any kind whatsoever at any time in my life. I also don't go trolling for boys on gay internet sites.

Finally, I am not the least bit interested in your personal sex life, and learning about what diseases you have caught and where, least of all on a thread dealing with the Malaysia Hotel.

Surfcrest
October 24th, 2009, 09:02
Just a few observations for you Koh Samui LuvтАж..

It would appear as though you are a fairly new member here (12 posts), and yet you write like a seasoned Sawatdee sniper. Are you sure we donтАЩt know you by some other cute alias? Is it because you donтАЩt want the guy, who we know by another name, known to sleep begrudgingly at the Malaysia?

You write that:

And the main thing I have found that never changes is that the guys in the rooms above you always practice tap dancing all night and go to bed at dawn!

Just a guess on my part, Thailand isnтАЩt know for itтАЩs tap dancing sceneтАжperhaps itтАЩs uhтАжnot tap dancing?
I must be a sound sleeper or have never stayed in the cheap rooms (Of a 2 Star Hotel), IтАЩm always pool side and IтАЩve never been bothered by noise from above.

You go in to write:

I must admit that I have never encountered bed bugs there, but lots of the boys in BKK have scabies and body lice.

This is a thread about the Malaysia Hotel (As you will go on at great lengths later), not sure the generalization about BKK boys. I can assume that you are trying to insinuate a connection with scabies and body lice to BKK boys and to the Hotel. Interesting to know a similar comment about a new Hotel in Chiang Mai would have got Koh Samui Luv and all his posts deleted.

You continue:

On the other hand, the farang lunatics who hang around the lobby, many of whom are not even residents of the hotel, are a real fucking nuisance... backbiting, petty, two-faced, gossiping bitches for the most part. They can make your life there a living hell if get on the wrong side of them. And indeed, all this never changes.

When I see this continually revolving group of older men chatting it up in the lobby, the last thing I would guess is that they could make anyoneтАЩs life a living hell. YouтАЩre such a nice sounding, extremely knowledgeable guyтАжI canтАЩt even imagine them having the ability to do anything to you, let alone have any cause.

But then you write:

And then it all starts to make a little sense. I can see the Thai boys rushing over to help their farang masters to their feet, on their way to making your lifeтАжa living hell.

By the time you are into your third reply, youтАЩre just getting silly. I like to have a glass of wine from time to time too, but I know not to push that Reply button after IтАЩve had a few and surely you must have been long past that by this point.

You wrestle the topic back from Lovely_RS, claiming the topic is about the Malaysia Hotel, even though it was you who tried to make the ridiculous connection to scabies and lice. And letтАЩs not forget the:

chlamydia, gonorrhea, genital herpes, genital warts, syphilis, and HIV!

тАж..mentioned in your second response.

Digging yourself only deeper you say that:

"personal hygiene" has little to do with catching most if not all STDs.

When in fact personal hygiene does play a dominate role in the spread of scabies and lice. Or are you insinuating guests are also catching chlamydia, gonorrhea, genital herpes, genital warts, syphilis, and HIV from staying at the Malaysia Hotel, and from the тАЬlots of Bangkok boysтАЭ you mention as carriers?

Then you go right off the tracks by saying:

most Thai moneyboys like to give themselves a quick enema before having sex with the hand bidets found in many hotels in Thailand, but NOT in the Malaysia Hotel which lacks this device in its bathrooms. Despite the fact that this mini-enema may succeed in keeping your cock clean if you fuck your trick, it is hardly a prophylactic against any STD.

How do you know what most Thai moneyboys do? WhatтАЩs an enema got to do with prophylactics? WhatтАЩs тАЬa mini enemaтАЭ got to do with the Malaysia Hotel or anything else that has been discussed in this thread?
It was quite amusing seeing you finish up with another whack at Lovely_RS for pulling this topic off topic.

October 24th, 2009, 12:26
I don't know why all the negative comments keep spoiling otherwise helpful threads.
First time poster here but long time reader. I've stayed at both these places but it was many moons ago and unless you're into picking up bar boys or street boys every night of the week or enjoy the down market, seedy vibe, why would you bother with either place?
Nearby there are plenty of good establishments that are great places to stay, with excellent facilities and close to Babylon, Silom etc. Sure you'll pay more, but these places don't have the brothel-like, cheap as chips feel.
Why not try Pantip Court just around the corner? Enormous rooms, lovely garden/pool, decent breakfast and no bed bugs and no bar boys hanging around. No police either.
I enjoy Babylon and picking up bar boys as much as the next person, but I don't want to live in this environment.
In Silom I'd go for Silom Serene or Saladaeng Place, where you can walk home in 4-5 minutes and not pay a fortune.
I have heard that Saladaeng Place now is a bit unhelpful when bringing guests and wants payment. I wouldn't stay if this is true because coupled with the worst breakfast in BKK, it is not value for money or particularly friendly.
Has anyone stayed at the hotel above Burger King next to Soi DJ?
For 2000 baht per night, there are plenty of gay-friendly hotels in this area and some even have kitchens.......I think Pantip Court does.

Beachlover
October 24th, 2009, 14:59
Has anyone stayed at the hotel above Burger King next to Soi DJ?

Yup... Ballys Suite Silom.

Pros:

- Very friendly... and you will notice plenty of gay clientelle

- Great location next to DJ and next to the BTS station

- New rooms... new fittings... comfortable... big LCD tv with DVD player in room

- Cheap... rooms are 1,800-2,400/night

Cons:

- No natural light in the rooms... standard rooms have no windows and the bigger rooms have small/tiny windows

- No descent work desk

- No bathtub

- No facilities like gym, pool etc. There is a coffeeshop on the top level though

October 25th, 2009, 18:12
- No descent work desk

Is that a special desk for going down on someone?

Beachlover
October 25th, 2009, 18:15
How does a desk assist with the act of going down on someone?

Did you have one custom-built for under the desk jobs in your office? Can you send me the designs?

October 25th, 2009, 18:17
Beats me. "Descent" means the act of going down, so i was just trying to figure out WTF you were talking about.

Beachlover
October 25th, 2009, 18:21
You smart arse.... yes, I meant a "decent" work desk.

Uranus
October 25th, 2009, 23:57
Who in the right state of mind would pay 2,400 baht to stay in a room with no windows?

Art
October 26th, 2009, 00:33
http://artiste.maquettes.free.fr/sousmarinier.jpg

Who in the right state of mind would pay 2,400 baht to stay in a room with no windows?

Don't forget the homesick submariner.

Beachlover
October 26th, 2009, 03:55

The large rooms (they are actually 2,400 baht... but the online price is 3,200 I think) have windows... but they are fairly small windows.

The rooms are brand new... location is great. Not a bad deal if you don't plan on spending a lot of time in your room.

Though, personally... I wouldn't stay there again.