PDA

View Full Version : Si saket

October 9th, 2009, 06:30
Planning a trip to Si Saket in a couple of weeks. I have plumbed for the train as the alternative looks to be a flight to Ubon Ratchatani and a 2.5 hour drive back. The first class sleeper out of BKK looks appealing but I am wondering about car hire? I have looked on the net, but the place seems to be the back of beyond? Any suggestions would be gratefully received. 'Don't go' appears not to be an option.

TrongpaiExpat
October 9th, 2009, 11:18
I would fly to Ubon and rent a car from Budget. You might find some independent car rent companies but in my experience your not going to get a quality car, there will be no gas in it--bringing it back empty is not easy and forget assistance if there's a problem.

If your in Bangkok or know someone in Bangkok that can drop by the Travel Fair at the Impact Arena Oct 30-Nov 01 you can pick up car rental vouchers for 640B from Budget and sometimes Avis shows up and matches the price. For every five you buy you get one free. There good for a year.

Why are you going to Si Saket?

pong
October 12th, 2009, 18:29
1.make sure WHERE in Sri Sraket it is-most likely a minor village (moo ban) some 30/40/50 kms away from that major town and station? This as it gets so often mixed up-both the name of the prvince=chiangwat and its capital have the same name (town is ''amphoe muang''). If so-there will be a bus, minibus or songhthaew from SSr-but this will add considerably to time taken.
2.trains are always late and are many think they are not that nice as seat61.com makes us believe. But some swear by it and seem even insulted when pointed out these quibbles.
3,if BF's minor village (as I just guess thats the goal??) is on a major highway but not in/near the town-chance are there is a direct overnightbus (stopping off-and having its terminus somewhere furhter down the line/road) from Mochit/BKK-or maybe even from Pattaya-your BF will know.
4.I just read on thaivisa a similar Q re car-for-hire at Ubon airport-only Budget it seems, if prebooked 1200/1500 THB/day.

October 12th, 2009, 20:33
The taxi concession at Ubon airport will take you to Sisaket. I've only ever used their service to take me to a hotel in Sisaket town, but I would guess they'll drive you most anywhere. Can't remember the cost but it was reasonable.

painai2
October 12th, 2009, 21:46
Last year I visited the Hindu temple Khao Phra Wihan in that province (although the temple itself lies in Cambodia). Worth the trip, if open due to the ongoing war. If you visit, be careful of land mines in the area of the temple.

PeterUK
October 12th, 2009, 23:16
If you visit, be careful of land mines in the area of the temple.

Jolly decent of you to warn us, but a bit of practical guidance would not have gone amiss. Are we, for instance, allowed to take a mine detector with us or perhaps a dog on a long leash? Or do you simply recommend that we walk on tiptoe and whistle a merry tune to keep our spirits up? Your comment leaves us somewhat up in the air.

Dodger
October 16th, 2009, 07:31
Longdorm:

I would recommend taking the VIP bus Line to Si Saket. Quiet...comfortable reclining seats...movies...hung nam...meals along the way...can't beat it. 675 baht from Pattaya @ 8-1/2 hours (9-1/2 from BKK). Take the 8:30 PM route...sleep and wake up in SS, or the morning route and see the country side.

Take the money you save on the airfare and buy a new pair of shoes for the water buffalo.

Cheers...

pong
October 16th, 2009, 17:49
If you visit, be careful of land mines in the area of the temple.

Jolly decent of you to warn us, but a bit of practical guidance would not have gone amiss. Are we, for instance, allowed to take a mine detector with us or perhaps a dog on a long leash? Or do you simply recommend that we walk on tiptoe and whistle a merry tune to keep our spirits up? Your comment leaves us somewhat up in the air.

NOthing really to fear-check first the access is open again-it was closed for some monthes due to quibbles between Thai/KHmer. The area fenced off for your comfort has been checked and is clear of exploding device. That you you should not pass these clearly marked lines should be obvious to anyone. Besides: this warning is more apt for Cambodia itself-hardly at all for this LOS.
You pay entry twice-half to the Thai and then half to the Khmer. you canNOT enter Khmerland by going this way-except (taken this very strictly) the small portion of land disputed where the temple itself is set upon.