PDA

View Full Version : What not to do in Thailand... for newbies

Beachlover
October 7th, 2009, 06:17
An interesting article:

http://www.squidoo.com/thingsnottodointhailand

pong
October 7th, 2009, 17:19
adjust nr.8: taxi(meters)-this only applies to Bkk-city and to a minor degree to ChiangMai.
All good luck and best wishes for those who try to establish that in Samui or Phuket-you will be left having to walk.
What was forgotten in this point are the tuktuks-simple advice: dont use them in BKK. Elsewhere always negotiable (though in minor towns there is an established fixed flat fare usually)-again Phuket hits the top of the list for stubborn refusals of ''too low''
Now who of the regulars on this site have ever been to FMP=fullmoonparties and the like? or are even aware of the 10 bt tuktuks in BKK bringing you to some gems shop?

Art
October 7th, 2009, 21:24
http://www.marieclaire.fr/data/images/photos/F0/7d92a10b9ntin_2.jpg

A. DON'T SAY: ┬╗I LOVE YOU,┬л

stupidly grinning in anticipation of the sugary echo. Enough is enough.
┬╗I like you┬л is fine. If you are desperate to say it, do so only after the
transfer of 1.111 dollars to Elephantspike. Or to this foundation:
http://www.margaretthatcher.org/ For a single licence, mind you.

B. DON'T THINK: ┬╗WE DON'T NEED CONDOMS.┬л

Otherwise, please transfer 111.111 dollars to my venerable тА║Butterfly Foundation.тА╣

http://whi.s3.leg.entries.lg1x8.simplecdn.net/20090802181851.jpg

C. DON'T PAY FOR LOVE.

Don't despise free sex. Enjoy it. Don't despise sex for pay. Continue an old tradition, try to be a model customer. Don't forget that prostitution is overpriced in Thailand. Don't forget that it is not easy to earn more than 6.000 Baht a month. Don't take off girls, the spoilt brats are more expensive than boys. Support the niche market, even if you have never tasted a delicious little cock before. Don't share the bed with Thais you want to promote. Don't expect Thais to save money for the future. Don't forget that you don't understand Thailand. And that Thais don't understand you. Nobody can understand a mammal like you.

No returns, no refunds, no whining. Get going!

Impulse
October 8th, 2009, 10:35
Don't share the bed with Thais you want to support.What does this mean? Unless you mean dont share a bed with a Thai unless you are willing to support them. Interesting article Beaclover. And like the cat has said its good for the newbies to know what mistakes us vets have made. Heres one i made. My first time in Bangkok.I was wandering down a fairly main road,just exploring when a women who was sitting against a building waiting for someone like myself to come along.She took me into a jewelry?tailor shop. They gave me a glass of water while looking at the mens rings. One ring stood out amongst the others,it really sparkled under the special lites they use. As I was examining the ring ,the male owner of the shop praised my smart choice.Hmmm.maybe I could resell these back in my home country,after all,I have such a great eye for these stones. No,that would be too much work,Ill just buy this ring.Which I did. It wasnt long before it became tarnished,the most tarnished ring I own,but the fake stone shines if I wear it in a jewelry store.It was about 3,000 baht and it just sits in my jewelry box with my real saphire and diamond rings,every now and then Ill open the box and have fond memories of my first trip to Thailand.

cdnmatt
October 8th, 2009, 17:25
Nice post.

Yeah, the gem shop thing happened to me before once too. We were in Bangkok, and decided to check out the palace. Once we got to the front gates, this guy popped out of the gate who was really nicely dressed, official looking, comfortable, so we just assumed he worked for the palace. He proceeds to say, "sorry, the palace is closed for the next hour to visitors. In the meantime, why don't you go with our official tour guide here in this tuk-tuk, and he'll show you around".

It was only a few hundred baht, and he presented a map showing a few tourist places such as a temple we'd visit. Both, the palace guy and the tuk-tuk driver had official looking badges, so we figured it was safe, and a good way to kill some time. We were gone for 2 - 3 hours, with the temple being the only tourist place we visited. The rest was just gem, silk, rug shops, etc.

Once we realized what was going on we were pretty pissed off, and demanded the driver take us back, as we had absolutely no interest whatsoever in shopping. He pleaded with us to stay with him, and begged us to spend at least 15 minutes in each shop, so he could get his gas voucher. We buckled, decided to be nice guys, and off we went to a bunch of shops we had no interest in.

PS. Oh, and for any new guys to Pattaya, don't take that tourist survey people on the street conduct. You end up winning a prize, then get dragged to some office in Jomtien to buy a time share. Oh, and if it's still the same guy selling condos, he's a dick. I got dragged there when I was either 25 or 26, and the first thing he said to me was, "Come on, we both know you're not 27. You're just on vacation with your parents, right?". What a dick...

Smiles
October 9th, 2009, 12:26
You fell for a guy saying the Grand Palace was 'closed' and went off with him in a Tuk Tuk? What do you mean he 'looked official'. What does a Palace employee wear to look 'official'? Did you see anyone else going into the Palace?

Then ... (after you fell for the Tuk Tuk gem scam? Before?) you fell for the Tourist Survey/Time Share scam? In Pattaya?

A few topics back . . . you were wondering whether giving your new boyfriend and ex-GoGo bar boy 26,000 baht a month allowance was 'enough'.

cdnmatt
October 9th, 2009, 17:26
You fell for a guy saying the Grand Palace was 'closed' and went off with him in a Tuk Tuk? What do you mean he 'looked official'. What does a Palace employee wear to look 'official'? Did you see anyone else going into the Palace?

It was actually a good scam. Maybe we were at the wrong entrance, but the gate was only opened to the size of a bedroom door. He popped out from behind the gate, wearing dark blue dress pants, tucked in white dress shirt, badge around his neck, etc. He pointed us towards a tuk tuk that was sitting right beside the palace.

Then ... (after you fell for the Tuk Tuk gem scam? Before?) you fell for the Tourist Survey/Time Share scam? In Pattaya?

No, actually I didn't fall for that one. That was just me being a nice guy, so he could get his commission. He was cute. :-)

A few topics back . . . you were wondering whether giving your new boyfriend and ex-GoGo bar boy 26,000 baht a month allowance was 'enough'.

He was a go-go boy for a whopping 2 weeks. Big deal. Considering him, he could probably pull in 30,000 a month as a go-go boy, plus have several farangs lined up sending him money, so yes, I thought it was a valid question. Better than being a know-it-all, don't you think?

October 9th, 2009, 20:29
He was a go-go boy for a whopping 2 weeks. Big deal.

But you've been a gullible idiot for much longer, apparently.

Smiles
October 10th, 2009, 11:12
" ... Better than being a know-it-all, don't you think? ... "
I don't know. :blackeye:
But I'll try: the fact that you got into a Tuktuk in Bangkok without a clue of what you were doing, seems to me a good case for a guilty verdict of general cluelessness. The other two items are just 'extras' to add icing to a now-set-in-stone overall impression.

Brad the Impala
October 10th, 2009, 19:04
Castigating those who acknowledge their foolishnesses, in a thread designed for such confessions, is unlikely to encourage others to participate.

Letting go is part of the pleasure of new countries and new experiences, and that means dropping some of one's usual caution.

In my first visit I got stopped at Patpong by a tout, and despite knowing what he was, I followed him to a nearby large wooden colonial house, in it's own poorly maintained grounds. He had several conversations there with security and management, or that is who I assumed they were, while understanding nothing. Having now been handed over I was led into a club with flickering coloured lights, full of garishly dressed ladies lounging on benches and wooden chairs.

At this point I feared some misunderstanding may have occurred, and nervous as I already was, I was not anticipating with pleasure the probable need to extricate myself from the situation. However I was gestured through the bar, to exit by a door on the other side of the room, where I found myself ascending a wooden staircase. I was shown into a room where it was gestured that I should wait, and was brought a beer.

The room was small and sparsely furnished and almost all the space was taken up by a simple double bed, beside which were two chairs, on one of which I sat. After a short wait the door opened and two young men came in. They waied and undressed, inviting me to join them on the bed. I declined and sat with my knees pressed tightly together, and closer to the bed than felt quite comfortable.

The rest proceeded most satisfactorily, payments were made, and I left with a lightness of foot after seeing, what in hindsight I could call, my first "Fuck Show". Again in hindsight it seems ridiculous that I didn't join in, but saved that experience for future occasions!

Of course with normal good sense I would not have gone with the tout, but that letting go of natural caution is the way to gain new experiences.

cdnmatt
October 10th, 2009, 19:23
But I'll try: the fact that you got into a Tuktuk in Bangkok without a clue of what you were doing, seems to me a good case for a guilty verdict of general cluelessness. The other two items are just 'extras' to add icing to a now-set-in-stone overall impression.

So out of all your years of traveling, you've never once been scammed or taken? Not once? You just knew everything there was to know about traveling within foreign countries from the very get-go?

Smiles
October 11th, 2009, 12:37
" ... So out of all your years of traveling, you've never once been scammed or taken? Not once?
No, not once.

You just knew everything there was to know about traveling within foreign countries from the very get-go?
(Though your question is deliciously lame): Of course I didn't know 'everything'. One doesn't need to know everything so long as they own even a droplet of general common sense. Any that you might have possessed, by your own words, seems to have evaporated before it hit the ground.

Beachlover
October 11th, 2009, 18:16

What a dickhead... Not enough kids around for you to lecture and talk down to?

cdnmatt
October 11th, 2009, 20:10
" ... So out of all your years of traveling, you've never once been scammed or taken? Not once?
No, not once.

So, that means you're either delusional, or a very boring person to travel with. Either that, or you're the very first person I've met in my entire life who hasn't been taken at least once in a foreign country.

giggsy
October 11th, 2009, 21:02
No, not once.

So, that means you're either delusional, or a very boring person to travel with. Either that, or you're the very first person I've met in my entire life who hasn't been taken at least once in a foreign country.

Or too stupid to realise he has been scammed.stir stir

By the way. Tomorrow is the big day.The meeting of great minds.GRA46 and SMILES. Or have you decided against?

gra46
October 12th, 2009, 08:36
No, not once.

Or too stupid to realise he has been scammed.stir stir

By the way. Tomorrow is the big day.The meeting of great minds.GRA46 and SMILES. Or have you decided against?[/quote]
Sorry im in Phuket i cant make it to Pattaya ,i did let the Admin of TT know
Bye the way i do think Smiles is honest and fair ,and i do feel he one of the true guys on this board ,not like some that a bringing this board down ,thats why i dont post much on here anymore but yes im still in here reading some posts that worth it .....

October 13th, 2009, 12:05
What a dickhead... Not enough kids around for you to lecture and talk down to?

I bow out of the forum for a few months and nothing has changed...same set of characters. I love this place. My trip is three days away. I bought a pair of hip-waders, so I should be good to go. :hello1:

kittyboy
October 13th, 2009, 14:06
Years ago on my first trip to asia I made a stop in KL. I had been travelling alone and may have been a bit lonely and I met a guy who spoke english. We struck up one of those day long friendships and he gave me his address and phone number and wanted to make sure that if I needed anything to call or take a taxi to his house as he wanted to make sure I had a good experience in Malaysia. We went out to dinner and he wanted to pay but I insisted..etc..

Toward the end of the meal he mentioned that his brother worked in a factory where they made electronic devices...Oh...would you like a sony walkman (remember this is over 20 years ago)...I can get one for you for cheap....My own greedy little inner self said a sony walkman for cheap!! How cheap? Only about $30 dollars US (I think it was about $30 US the details are a bit fuzzy). Give me the money and I will get one from my brother ..you have my phone number and address and I am an honest man I want to make sure you have a good experience in Malaysia...etc..

I gave him the $30 US and of course never saw him again....the phone number was bogus and the address he gave me was bogus....and I have to say it was the some of the best money I ever spent...At the time I was angry but in retrospect he was working me from the minute he spoke to me..It was beautiful..he gave me his address and phone number hours before he asked for the money...built up trust then took me for what he could get..It was a true work of art.

That lesson has also probably saved me lots of money over the years...not just when travelling but in general. Do you know the person you are dealing with? How well do you know them and can you really trust them? Have you done your due diligence? etc... etc..

I still laugh at myself when I think about how naive I was back then..I don't think I have become cynical but certainly more worldly.

IMHO being the target of scams and learning how to deal with them then laugh at them and yourself for your own greed are part of growing up and becoming an adult..and maybe part of travelling in general and in thailand as well.

Smiles
October 13th, 2009, 14:34
" ... My trip is three days away. I bought a pair of hip-waders, so I should be good to go ... "
Are the waders meant for Thailand, or Sawatdee Board? For 'both' would be acutely appropriate, and a damn sight more perspicacious than some Canadians (or Beachbabies) here. :blackeye:

Beachlover
October 13th, 2009, 18:23
Years ago on my first trip to asia I made a stop in KL. I had been travelling alone and...

Thanks Kittyboy... interesting story haha

Impulse
October 14th, 2009, 00:29
IMHO being the target of scams and learning how to deal with them then laugh at them and yourself for your own greed are part of growing up and becoming an adult..and maybe part of travelling in general and in thailand as well.Very true.Ive been scammed a lot,but all rather minor.Its the really big scams that can ruin people.Like having their bank account drained.My first scam was the three card monty on 42nd street in New york city.I only lost $40. Then came the pyramid scheme where you give $1500 to the one on top of the list.A friend of mine collected about $10,000 from this so my greed took over.Needless to say I was left on top of the list with no recruits left. Probably the most foolish one was in Las Vegas.As I left my bank,an old guy rode up to me on a moped and sold me this fake gold watch for $150.The taxi driver told me I had been scammed,but later that evening I won $1200 on a football game,so it was quickly forgotten. The best for last....I met this cute guy in Coasta Rica and we spent the day together,went to the movies and later that night I gave him $25 to get some powder.This was a while ago and I used drugs mostly to enhance sex. I dont touch the stuff now. So of course I waited for hours and he never returned.On my return flight I stayed in Miami for a few days and met this guy there.I had told him how I got ripped off in Coasta Rica,he laughed and said ,never give money till you get the stuff in your hands.Later on I ended up giving him some money to get some party material and I saw him go into a building and never come out.Doh! Theres more but thats enough for now.

October 14th, 2009, 01:00
IMHO being the target of scams and learning how to deal with them then laugh at them and yourself for your own greed are part of growing up and becoming an adult..and maybe part of travelling in general and in thailand as well.Very true.Ive been scammed a lot,but all rather minor.Its the really big scams that can ruin people.Like having their bank account drained.My first scam was the three card monty on 42nd street in New york city.I only lost $40. Then came the pyramid scheme where you give $1500 to the one on top of the list.A friend of mine collected about $10,000 from this so my greed took over.Needless to say I was left on top of the list with no recruits left. Probably the most foolish one was in Las Vegas.As I left my bank,an old guy rode up to me on a moped and sold me this fake gold watch for $150.The taxi driver told me I had been scammed,but later that evening I won $1200 on a football game,so it was quickly forgotten. The best for last....I met this cute guy in Coasta Rica and we spent the day together,went to the movies and later that night I gave him $25 to get some powder.This was a while ago and I used drugs mostly to enhance sex. I dont touch the stuff now. So of course I waited for hours and he never returned.On my return flight I stayed in Miami for a few days and met this guy there.I had told him how I got ripped off in Coasta Rica,he laughed and said ,never give money till you get the stuff in your hands.Later on I ended up giving him some money to get some party material and I saw him go into a building and never come out.Doh! Theres more but thats enough for now.

Move over, LMTU and Wes. I think we have a new candidate for dumbest forum member of all times.

Brad the Impala
October 14th, 2009, 01:14
Move over, LMTU and Wes. I think we have a new candidate for dumbest forum member of all times.

If you are aware that what you have done is dumb, and can laugh at yourself, you are never as dumb, or as dull, as those who can never acknowledge having done dumb things in their life.

Impulse
October 14th, 2009, 08:44
Thanks Brad,like I said,nothing major,just silly things that I joke about with my friends.These people who take themselves so seriously usually dont have many friends,and the ones they call their best friends are really just aquaintances.Beach Bunny,I can tell doesnt have many friends and is very angry inside.I feel sorry for him,and even more for his boyfriend.

October 16th, 2009, 22:14
Are the waders meant for Thailand, or Sawatdee Board?

I decided the waders won't fit in my carry-on, so quick drying clothing will have to suffice. :tongue3:

I'm sure I'll be making mistakes on this trip, I'm not nearly as savvy as most of you. As long as it is affordable then it's just part of the experience.

DamienZ
October 19th, 2009, 17:19
Never...accept an offer from a tuk-tuk driver take you to a seafood restaurant.
:dontknow:

Beachlover
October 20th, 2009, 05:10
Never...accept an offer from a tuk-tuk driver take you to a seafood restaurant.
:dontknow:

I did that once. I was looking for some lunch and curious as to where they would actually take me. I hopped out, saw the prices offered at this place and asked the driver to take me back (didn't end up paying anything).

October 20th, 2009, 06:21
Gra 46 wrote :

Bye the way i do think Smiles is honest and fair

Your a little too deeply looking into the glass Graham ! :tongue3:

October 20th, 2009, 06:50
Don't call the first boy you off your boufriend................. :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

thrillbill
October 20th, 2009, 07:16
Yes, after living in LOS for over 5 years, I have been scammed a few times so unfortunatley I can be a bit skeptical.---Last June in Pattaya I discovered I could not pay my electric bill at the Seven-Eleven since it was over due. The helpful clerk instructed me to go to the electric company office located on Central, (ugh). So I get there and ...Whoa!!!!--- hundreds of people waiting ...I get my cue number and I am told it would be a 1-2 hour wait! I find out that my electric could be turned off the next day. Problem: I had an important doctor's appointment in one hour. A gentleman that helped me locate the number "dispatcher" gradually heard about my problem (me pissing and groaning) and offered to take my bill and 1800 baht and pay for it when he paid for his. I first I said no, but gradually I discovered he was an assistant manager at a hotel; infact, and gave me his business card. I couldn't miss my doctor's appointment so took the chance of giving this "stranger" my electric bill and money to pay the bill. (plus some cash to buy him lunch). I felt it could be a scam; yet, I would have done the same thing if the situation was in reverse... So...my electric was never turned off, (I called the electric company and it was paid). I called this helpful Thai to thank him for his generosity. An act of kindness which I appreciated.

October 20th, 2009, 07:29
...Last June in Pattaya I discovered I could not pay my electric bill at the Seven-Eleven since it was over due and was told I would have to go to the electric company office located on Central. So I get there and ...Whoa!!!!--- hundreds of people waiting ...I get my cue number and I am told it would be a 1-2 hour wait! Problem: I had an important doctor's appointment in one hour. A Thai fellow that helped me locate the number "dispatcher" gradually heard about my problem (me pissing and groaning) and offered to take my bill and 1800 baht and pay for it when he paid for his. I first I said no but gradually I discoverd he was an assistant manager at a hotel; infact, he gave me his business card. I also discovered from another frustrated expat that most likely my electric would be turned off the next day (already 2 days behind). I couldn't miss my doctor's appointment so took the chance and gave the Thai man my bill and money to pay the bill. (plus some cash to buy him lunch). I felt it could be a scam; yet, I would have done the same thing if the situation was in reverse... So...my electric was never turned off, I called the electric company and it was paid and I called the Thai man to thank him for his generosity.

And the moral of the story is " Don't send a Farang to pay your electric bill as he will piss it up the wall" :sign5: :sign5:

Beachlover
October 20th, 2009, 10:45
How come I hear from expats (like in this case) that paying utility bills in Thailand is so involving? Do they not do automatic debit or accept online or credit card payments?

Must be a pain having to physically go somewhere to pay each bill (although I realise it's normally not somewhere out of the way as in this case with the overdue bill).

October 20th, 2009, 11:24
How come I hear from expats (like in this case) that paying utility bills in Thailand is so involving? Do they not do automatic debit or accept online or credit card payments?

Must be a pain having to physically go somewhere to pay each bill (although I realise it's normally not somewhere out of the way as in this case with the overdue bill).

Don't make wild assumptions based on the postings of moronic members here.

Utility bills CAN be paid by direct debit, as well as online. Couldn't be easier.

Smiles
October 20th, 2009, 11:48
The reason (so says the poster) he couldn't pay the electric bill at 7-11 was that the bill was overdue and he was then told to go directly to the electric company: Which he did and then experienced an annoying run-a-round.

My experience with my one and only overdue electric bill was quite the opposite: went to the 7-11, paid it, no problem, no questions, no re-direction.
The main reason folks in Thailand pay (some, but not all) utility bills at 7-11 is pure convenience ... 7's are everywhere, bank branches are not. Paying bills there is as simple and quick as buying a loaf of bread.
But BB is correct, all that stuff can also be done using your ATM card or direct deposit. It's just a question of setting it up, which can also be a long wait at the bank until your number is called and ~ at least here in Hua Hin ~ bank employees not speaking much english and having to bring over 'help' in the guise of 6 or 7 other bank officers and assorted tellers, all talking at each other, ignoring you, and you sitting there in the middle of another fabulous Thai cacophony, rolling your eyes. I can't be bothered, and the 7-11 is a lot simpler ... so that makes it not "involving" whatsoever.

TrongpaiExpat
October 20th, 2009, 12:25
Back when I lived in US, I had all my bills on auto payment to my Master Card (with FF miles) and then the Master card was on auto payment from my bank account. Thailand has not yet made it to auto pay that I have heard of?

I paid in advance one year on my UBC and True bill and got one month free. TOT and True have similar deals but might be limited time promotions.

Not only can you pay utility bills at 7-11, you can also buy NOK Air tickets. You buy on line, you receive a SIM from NOK and then pass the phone to 7-11 or copy down the number, pay and you get a E ticket in less time than buying a carton of milk.

Beachlover
October 20th, 2009, 17:18
Fair enough. It was just that Silom Farang also mentions fumbling around with bills on his blog GayBoyThailand.com. He does say he relies on his BF because the bills are in Thai.

I think if you're living there long term it might worth setting it up to avoid the hassle. At home I don't even bother to open envelopes containing bills or look at the e-mailed ones anymore... they just get taken off the credit card automatically.

October 20th, 2009, 22:55
Thailand has not yet made it to auto pay that I have heard of?

Of course it has. At least ten years ago. Do you live under a rock, or what?

TrongpaiExpat
October 21st, 2009, 00:17
Thailand has not yet made it to auto pay that I have heard of?

Of course it has. At least ten years ago. Do you live under a rock, or what?

For Electric bills? How do you set up? I live in a condo. Auto pay via a Thai bank or auto pay from the electric company?

October 21st, 2009, 00:24
Yes, for electric bills. You apply through the electric company, indicating the bank account you want to monthly fee to be withdrawn from. Couldn't be easier.

Here's the form you have to fill out:

http://www.mea.or.th/BankPayWeb/Form.pdf

thrillbill
October 21st, 2009, 01:29

Paying for utility bills (electric, telephone, internet) can vary from apartment complex to another... For me, it is easier just to pay for everything at a Seven-Eleven since I stop there anyway to pick up a couple items. (True, I could have the condo office do it for me, but I 'd rather do it myself and know ti is done. At another condo complex I lived in, the electric was not directly billed from the electric company but "created" by the apartment manager which (of course) was more than if it was directly calculated from the meter.

TrongpaiExpat
October 21st, 2009, 12:41
The best advise I ever got for apartment hunting was to first ask if you pay the electric company directly or is it billed through the condo/apartment office. If the condo does the billing then don't ask to see any available apartments, walk away.

October 21st, 2009, 22:56

Because some "expats" have no idea what they are doing or what they are talking about.