PDA

View Full Version : Mid week trip out to Boystown - including new Bubbles!

Patexpat
October 1st, 2009, 17:46
Well we donтАЩt get out much midweek, but as Wild West Boys was putting on MAMMA MIA I thought we would have an evening out.

So off we toddled to kick off the evening by eating at Amor. Had the daily special which, as usual, came in тАШRichard sizeтАЩ portions. It wasnтАЩt overly busy at that point, only 4 tables occupied. The staff however seemed more relaxed than usual, and obviously having fun тАж then we realized it must have been RichardтАЩs night off!

Next we went to try the new BUBBLES Go Go bar, located where Crystal Boys used to be. Bit of a disappointment IтАЩm afraid, only 6 boys, only one of which would take my fancy. D├йcor pretty much the same as before, but it does have one BIG selling point тАУ all drinks seemed to be B99! (Well a Gin and T and a bottle of Heineken were both B99) Someone is taking a different approach to pricing in Boystown and about time too, so worth a visit on that basis alone! But for the atmosphere тАУ I can only hope it will build up some clients as we were the only people in there тАУ one more came in as we left. For B99 give it a try!

On to Wild West Boys. The new owner is very friendly, but he has found an insufferable pushy Mamasan from somewhere who is a pain in the butt! This guy was dressed in a white suit and was trying to get us to open a bottle of whisky even before we entered the bar! Pushy and obnoxious тАУ will loose more customers than he lures in. I noted that the old staff gave him a wide berth.

As usual there was a great selection of boys, something for everyone. Whether some of these boys will relocate to Bubbles after they get there September salary remains to be seen! The show started on time, and was great fun тАж. Fast and furious, no breaks between each number (a la Venue), the first time I have seen that at WWB. My one complaint here is that when the music is on for the go go boys, itтАЩs has been ratcheted up several notches to the point my ears were ringing when I left. Note to new owner: This is NOT Dave man club! Your paying customers are NOT young Thais!

After the show we wandered over to Copa тАУ and noticed that Amor had an awful lot of tables occupied for that late. Bet the staff were happy! Caught most of the show at Copa, nice atmosphere. I always feel relaxed here unlike some other places where I feel that the owner is doing me favour letting me in. The show was good, even the lypsync had improved. My guess another knock on effect from that newbie show bar in Jomtien!

With the exception of Bubbles, all the bars were well patronized. Not full, but I would guess about 70%; not bad for a Tuesday evening that was threatening rain!

After that, off home тАУ well it was work in the morning! :lam:

catawampuscat
October 2nd, 2009, 02:14
thanks for the update.. maybe Bubbles had a soft opening as they usually make a big deal out
of it with lots of balloons and a roast pig or two..
It should be interesting to see if the WWB boys leave to go with the old owners.. I have noticed
that many boys stay loyal to some of the mamasans and move with them.. It can make a good
mamasan very important to a bar.
Hopefully the new owners will get the message and tone down the pushy mamasan and the music but
the odds are not favorable imho... :idea:

October 2nd, 2009, 04:48
Hopefully the new owners will get the message and tone down the pushy mamasan and the music but
the odds are not favorable imho... :idea:

I can just picture the boys on stage tapping their feet to Doris Day, Vera Lynn and the Andrew Sisters :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

elephantspike
October 2nd, 2009, 05:05
Didn't Bubbles used to be a girl go-go place?

neddy3
October 2nd, 2009, 06:48

Yes, it did. That's going back maybe a couple of years now.

Bubbles had a previous life as a boy bar, and was open for maybe 6 months or more. They tried to specialize in older and bigger body guys, but found that the market for this type of body in Pattaya was limited, so the bar was never busy.
It closed, and has been empty since the last high season.

It was managed in the past by the original owners of WWB, so I guess they still have the lease.

Can't help wondering why they sold WWB.

quiet1
October 2nd, 2009, 09:44
On to Wild West Boys. The new owner is very friendly, but he has found an insufferable pushy Mamasan from somewhere who is a pain in the butt!
Worse than Layla? Or is she wearing a white suit these days?

quiet1
October 2nd, 2009, 09:47
Buy low, sell high? They sold when WWB was doing well. Can't be helped if the new buyer wants to run it into the ground. Previous owner probably made a decent profit.

neddy3
October 2nd, 2009, 10:05
On to Wild West Boys. The new owner is very friendly, but he has found an insufferable pushy Mamasan from somewhere who is a pain in the butt!

Nobody could be worse than Layla!! (Laila?)

But I did have an encounter with another new katoey mamasan who is pushy and very much better avoided. (It goes without saying that Laila is better avoided!)

Patexpat
October 2nd, 2009, 12:34

Layla is a fluffy kitten compared to this new guy .....

October 2nd, 2009, 15:10
Here's my experience of Boystown on Tues 22nd September:

Only bars that were busy were Copa and WWB. Copa show good (and that ****ing dog finally seems to have been put out of its/our misery at last), bar very busy. WWB busy-ish, lots of noisy russians, insuffereable new mamasan who plonks herself down wherever she isnt wanted and caused at least 1 guy to walk out, show somewhere between "obscure" and "bizarre" to say the least.

Cafe Royale - El Duo playing to an audience of 4 at 10.30pm, which comprised 2 of us and, separately, another board member and his boy. Service appalling considering nobody else was eating and food inedible (dried up lasagne with what appeared to be and tasted like a layer of shoe leather on top. Tried again 2 nights later - this time there were no other customers at all, just the 5 of us in our group, - waited 30 minutes for a dried up cheeseburger incorporating a stale, dry, bun. You know, the waiters in here are so friendly, they deserve better than to serve up the low level crap (which isn't cheap) being produced in the CR kitchens these days. Tried a breakfast one day (3rd time lucky?) which was no more than adequate despite costing around 6 times the price of the cafe across the main road..

Panorama bar next to empty, many go-go bars (eg Sawatdee Boys) completely empty.

The Towering Inferno I don't frequent, so can't comment - but not much sign of customers flocking in or out.

The only time I saw many people in the street was when the Chinese/Japanese tour groups were being trailed round to view the homosexuals.

My overriding impression was of an area in severe decline.

:headbang:

CHAOTOU
October 3rd, 2009, 03:11

Yes, it did. That's going back maybe a couple of years now.

Bubbles had a previous life as a boy bar, and was open for maybe 6 months or more. They tried to specialize in older and bigger body guys, but found that the market for this type of body in Pattaya was limited, so the bar was never busy.
It closed, and has been empty since the last high season.

It was managed in the past by the original owners of WWB, so I guess they still have the lease.

I am one of the few that liked Crystal Boys bar. I hope this bar has success.

zinzone
October 3rd, 2009, 11:47
Thank you Patexpat for your trip report, and obviously at least for the moment I will not bother with Bubbles thanks to what you say. After reading your post though I did pay a visit to WW Boys. Have to say that whilst it might be correct there is a fair selection of different types, certainly on the night I was there those on the stage all had one thing in common: well past there "sell by" date. No matter some may be 20-something(though a lot appeared much older) they clearly had been 'on the game' for severel years and it certainly showed.
A bit like going into a butchers shop and finding that the meat on display ought to have been removed weeks before due to being unfit for human consumption.
Also drinks including water a hefty 150 baht minimum upwards, so will not be going to that place again in a hurry.

Talking of rip offs, I then went along to Copa, but stayed for less than 90 seconds. All of 5/6 on the stage each of whom were overweight, plain and boring looking and looking bored. Amazing how people spend tens of millions doing up a place yet nobody bothers to properly 'vet' what is on the stage. By vet I don't mean having them checked by an animal doctor(though of course that might be an idea) but making sure what is on the stage would have at least some appeal to customers. Seems to me some of these bars will take any old ugly Thai slag who turns up on the door-step put them to work and hope that some mug farang will take pity on them. Well if I am paying for it expect something for my money and from what I have seen neither WWB or Copa have anything worth "offing".
:8(

painai2
October 3rd, 2009, 16:34
I've visited the new Bubbles on two different nights. Each night, not many guys on stage. I liked the old Crystal Boys for the guys working there. Not many places in Pattaya for muscle and it looks like Bubbles isn't going be another Crystal Bar...too bad. Hope it gets better with the type and number of guys working there.

October 4th, 2009, 04:51
..... Seems to me some of these bars will take any old ugly Thai slag who turns up on the door-step put them to work and hope that some mug farang will take pity on them. Well if I am paying for it expect something for my money and from what I have seen neither WWB or Copa have anything worth "offing".

You are either blind, incredibly fussy, or just a frustrated dried-up old queen - take your pick.

The only "ugly... slags" I have observed in Copa or WWB are on the audience side of the stage.

:hello1:

zinzone
October 4th, 2009, 13:28
..... Seems to me some of these bars will take any old ugly Thai slag who turns up on the door-step put them to work and hope that some mug farang will take pity on them. Well if I am paying for it expect something for my money and from what I have seen neither WWB or Copa have anything worth "offing".

You are either blind, incredibly fussy, or just a frustrated dried-up old queen - take your pick.

The only "ugly... slags" I have observed in Copa or WWB are on the audience side of the stage.

I am entitled to my opinion as you are to yours and no need to attempt insults. When I visited WWB and Copa I was in a group with others who were of the same view as me re the quality,or lack of it, on the stage. The difference between the "audience" as you call it and those on the stage is that the go-go's are selling themselves and require punters to pay for their servces.
Therefore some of us expect something decent looking for our money and have the right to express a view if that is not the case through our eyes.

There is no doubt that certain bars are trying to scam customers by providing ugly whores on the stage.

Seems to me it hits a raw nerve with some of the posters here the use of the word "ugly"; perhaps because it reminds them of what they have been called or indeed what they are.....

October 4th, 2009, 17:25
Has it not occurred to you that maybe all the pretty/handsome boys may have been "offed?" after all, that is what they are there for, are they not?

October 4th, 2009, 17:27
zinzone, ignore Jock he's from a country that is short on good looking guys and has more than it's fair share of heart attack prone drunks........ :hello1: :hello1: :hello1: :hello2: :hello2: :hello2:

zinzone
October 4th, 2009, 17:39
Has it not occurred to you that maybe all the pretty/handsome boys may have been "offed?" after all, that is what they are there for, are they not?

Good point, maybe I should go earlier!

zinzone
October 4th, 2009, 17:44
zinzone, ignore Jock he's from a country that is short on good looking guys and has more than it's fair share of heart attack prone drunks........ :hello1: :hello1: :hello1: :hello2: :hello2: :hello2:

yes agree....after all the scottish "males" like to wear dresses with nothing underneath......... :evil4:

October 4th, 2009, 22:26
When I visited WWB and Copa I was in a group with others who were of the same view as me re the quality,or lack of it, on the stage.

Birds of a feather flock together Dear.

Seems to me it hits a raw nerve with some of the posters here the use of the word "ugly"; perhaps because it reminds them of what they have been called or indeed what they are.....

What is hitting a raw nerve is your attitude - no respect for anybody except yourself. If you are so offended by the boys in WWB and/or Copa that you see fit to refer to them as "whores" and "meat", why do you go to these bars in the first place? Why don't you just stick to fucking people your own age? - or even your wife maybe (I wouldn't be surprised)

And if you are as good-looking as you imply, settle the matter by posting a pic of yourself (not a fake one) - then we can all judge where you're coming from.

October 4th, 2009, 22:28

I think it was a month ago I summed you up as an antipodean arsehole.

In the intervening period I have seen nothing in any of your posts to contradict that verdict.

I rest my case.

:hello2:

catawampuscat
October 4th, 2009, 23:26
anyone who doesn't have scotshit-guy on his ignore list deserves it, imho of course..
The foe list is a blessing and should be used or you get abused.. :crybaby:

October 5th, 2009, 00:36
anyone who doesn't have scotshit-guy on his ignore list deserves it, imho of course..
The foe list is a blessing and should be used or you get abused.. :crybaby:

I can't imagine ANYONE in their right mind wanting to abuse TheCatsArse - even though he pays good money for it.

naklua
October 5th, 2009, 01:47
I was in WWB two weeks ago and the bar was a great disappointment - not for the first time.
1. Although there were many boys available, most of them looked bored and no smiles in sight (one could argue, that's not surprising as there were only two "tables" occupied by customers; on the other hand, if there are less customers, more competition might arise to get their attention), did not have a well built body or had not appealing faces. This is not only my opinion, but my bf said the same before I said anything about the dancers.
2. Pestering mama san. Trying to rip me off.
3. The only exception was a very athletic build boy, who nevertheless made an alof impression on me (and my bf). The way above average fat mama san pestered me and my bf all the time to let one of the boys some sit with us: "Just for talk. You dont have to buy drink." The ms tried to sell me ten or so of the boys, without asking my preferences first. Just to get rid of him/her, I asked about the above mentioned boy. "Yes, nice boy. Come sit with you. No drink." Of course I knew the "no drink" part was bullshit - this is not how the system in boystown works. But nevermind, I dont have a problem to buy a good looking & nice boy a drink. So he came over to sit with us. He sat with us maybe for two seconds, when he said to my bf, that he does not have much time to sit with us, because the show will start soon - this was even before saying "Sawadee". Half a minute later two drinks came, without my order and even without asking me. As I stated, a drink for a boy sitting with me is OK in general, although I like to be asked first. The second drink was intended for the mama san, which he/she ordered without any prior hint. I told him/her friendly, that I was OK with the drink for the boy and that the other drink ws not on me. Ms gave me a pseudo-foolish look and said: "I asked you and you said OK". I replied, although it is 23.00h already, this is my first drink tonight as we started late today. Thus I am not drunk and am still able to remember what I did or did not during the last few minutes.
I gave my attention to the boy. He was friendly, but distanced. Together with his friend Mr. Lit (good looking but arrogant) he regards himself as the star of the show. I understood that he was not interested, as he might make enough money with the show and very probably has got one or more regular "customers" / BFs sponsoring him.
As there was no other boy I (or my bf) was interested in, we prepared to leave. I took the bills and of course the ms's drink was included. Ms smiled at me and said "600 Baht" (i.e. 4 drinks) to what I replied with a smile "450 Baht". Ms tried to argue, but I gave the waiter 450 Baht and said "bye bye" and we left (behind a mildly protesting Ms).

The other boy go-go bars in Pattayaland Soi 1 were uninteresting, too (visited on another night). Many ladyboys, many out of shape "boys". Nevertheless 150 Baht per drink. I guess I am not alone with my opinion, as these bars had very few customers - some of them had non at all (besides us).
I did not visit the Soi 3 bars (BBB, Copa, Toy Boy), as the have consistently been disappointing to my taste for at least the past 5 or 6 years. E.g. Copa is very nicely decorated, but the boys are not up to the same standard (no, I am not implying that boys and furnitur/interior design are the same).

There are a few exceptions in Boystown: Funny Boys and A-Bomb. FB has a nice athmosphere and very comfy seating and controls the volume level of the music. Some good looking boys, considerably more customers than the bars mentioned above, although there is no show (to my knowledge) as in the case of WWB. A-Bomb has some well built boys. I offed one guy there and was very satisfied.

Some of the go-go bars in Sunee Plaza were entertaining and satisfying. Especially Nice Boys and to a certain extent Villa Rouge featured some good looking boys in the 18y - 20y range (ID check might be recommended). These bars had a totally different mood compared to Boystown. The boys interacted with the customers and with each other instead of just looking bored (although some of the boys had this attitude, too, but they were most of the times the minority). No ms trying a rip-off. Drinks a little bit cheaper than Boystown. Most of the boys (only one disappointment in over three weeks) were easy going and down to earth. NB and VR (before it had to close and the boys moved to Playboys, the former "Look") had significantly more customers on most occassions than the Pattayaland Soi 3 bars.

October 5th, 2009, 02:54

I think it was a month ago I summed you up as an antipodean arsehole.

In the intervening period I have seen nothing in any of your posts to contradict that verdict.

I rest my case.

:hello2:

I would say you're getting your knickers in a twist if I thought you wore ant under that tartan skirt of yours................ :boxing: :boxing: :boxing:

October 5th, 2009, 15:03
I would say you're getting your knickers in a twist if I thought you wore ant under that tartan skirt of yours................ :boxing: :boxing: :boxing:

Actually i don't - ask the waiter (name sounds like SeeYou) in Dream Boys who thought it would be amusing to have a grope up my kilt the other week and got rather a shock!

Brad the Impala
October 6th, 2009, 03:35

Actually i don't - ask the waiter (name sounds like SeeYou) in Dream Boys who thought it would be amusing to have a grope up my kilt the other week and got rather a shock!

Let me guess.....................he found a pussy?

October 6th, 2009, 06:30

Would that be SeeYouJimmy? or better known to all as Rab C Nessbit?

October 6th, 2009, 10:28
I agree...the quality has REALLY fallen off in Boyztown (and other areas too). The whole thing now seems to be to 'trap' punters who enter into buying at least one drink. The boys are listless or over the top pushy...there's not even a pretense of projecting value to possible customers. The scene here has deteriorated with the advent of the internet since the late 90's. No longer is Thailand a closed culture with the boys doing what comes naturally, but more and more the internet seems to allow them to learn all the tricks to rip off or get away with the very least with their farang customers. It's a shame, but what are you gonna do? It's a more calculating environment these days than it was a decade ago.

Wazza
October 6th, 2009, 13:28
I think its a matter of adapting to the changing and ever evolving scene a friend who is in Pattaya has taken to cruising the internet cafes close to his Hotel on these rainy Pattaya afternoons. Engaging whoever he fancies in helping him log on to Gay Romeo or some similar pretence, it short circuits the online chitchat and need to meet before and is a damn sight cheaper than the bars. No complaints so far, ID'S left with reception as with the barboys which a lot of them are.

Patexpat
October 6th, 2009, 14:07
I think its a matter of adapting to the changing and ever evolving scene .

I think you are spot on ... with the advent of the internet the need for go go bars in order to find a boy is simply archaic ... other than trying out the new Bubbles I haven't been to a go go bar per se for - well longer than I can remember .. certainly quite a few months. And I think I can say that I've actually offed a boy may be once in the past two years, may be longer. If I go to a bar, it's primarily to see a show and be entertained.

The basic business model has changed, even tourists use Gayromeo et al to arrange hook ups even before they get here.

October 6th, 2009, 15:34
I think its a matter of adapting to the changing and ever evolving scene .

I think you are spot on ... with the advent of the internet the need for go go bars in order to find a boy is simply archaic ... other than trying out the new Bubbles I haven't been to a go go bar per se for - well longer than I can remember .. certainly quite a few months. And I think I can say that I've actually offed a boy may be once in the past two years, may be longer. If I go to a bar, it's primarily to see a show and be entertained.

The basic business model has changed, even tourists use Gayromeo et al to arrange hook ups even before they get here.

Aren't you the one who started the thread by stating you went to 3 GOGO BARS.

As for using Gayromeo to meet up with prostitues, It is a very risky business as you have no comeback should they rob or assault you. At least if you get them from a GOGO bar they are more likely to be on record at the bar and therefor less likely to do anything more than try and rip you off.

October 6th, 2009, 16:27
Right..."on record" with a fake ID or one borrowed from a friend. Bar boys have murdered their tricks on numerous occasions, just as freelance boys have. You get your kicks, you take your chances.

Patexpat
October 6th, 2009, 16:31

Do me the courtesy if reading my posts before you do your usual automatic whinge.

If you can read and understand then you will find my posts consistent.

October 6th, 2009, 18:26
Clever! I'll head over to Sunee and Boyztown tonight...I think you're right! I've always thought to myself, passing the internet places, 'why can't I just have HIM (in there)?' before continuing down the gauntlet to the bars.

October 7th, 2009, 00:44

Do me the courtesy if reading my posts before you do your usual automatic whinge.

I take it then that you consider WWW and Copa to be High Class Caberet bars and the prostitutes are only on stage to kill the boredom between shows.................................. :sign5:

October 7th, 2009, 01:10

I really do hate to be the one to support andyinoz of all people, but "consistent" is hardly the right word!!!

In your first post you appear very familiar with the bars you visited and their staff, and any recent changes, as well as "some other places" ("Next we went to try the new BUBBLES Go Go bar, located where Crystal Boys used to be. тАж.. D├йcor pretty much the same as before .....On to Wild West Boys. The new owner is very friendlyтАж.. I noted that the old staff тАж..As usual there was a great selection of boys, something for everyone. тАж..The show started on time, and was great fun тАж. . the first time I have seen that at WWB ....we wandered over to Copa тАж.. I always feel relaxed here unlike some other places").

In your last you claim that "other than trying out the new Bubbles I haven't been to a go go bar per se for - well longer than I can remember .. certainly quite a few months. .... If I go to a bar, it's primarily to see a show and be entertained."

"Consistent"? Come on!! You can't have it both ways - the idea that these bars (Bubbles, Crystal boys, WWB, Copa, plus the "other places" are not "go go bars per se" is stretching the imagination, even before you talk about the "selection of boys" being "a bit of a disappointment" or "as usual ... a great selection"!!

I doubt if anyone would criticize you either for your views (if anthing, the opposite seems to be the case) or for going to the bars, but what you "primarily" go to bars for and what you "can remember" are anything but consistent!!

Even more worringly (for me!) I also agree with andyinoz's views on the comparative risks between making arrangements over the internet and in a bar; those I know who for whatever reason boast about "not paying" for their internet liaisons always seem very generous when it comes to paying for their eager partner's "busfare" and other expenses!

October 7th, 2009, 02:38
Would that be SeeYouJimmy? or better known to all as Rab C Nessbit?

According to the boy himself it means "Little Fish" in Thai - make of that what you will!

I apologise to any Thai speakers for my phonetic attempt to reproduce his name, but it sounded like SeeYou.

And it was Russ Abbot who created the "See You Jimmy" character. Rab C Nesbitt (in reality Gregor Fisher) had nothing to do with it - I think those corks dangling from your hat are affecting your brain.

October 7th, 2009, 02:42
[quote=andyinoz]

Let me guess.....................he found a pussy?[/quote:cwtqzibg]

You're not seriously suggesting that, in Thailand, a guy with a pussy would constitute a shock??????

:sunny: