PDA

View Full Version : Server Down Time October 10th

elephantspike
September 28th, 2009, 07:20
I just got this notice from my webhost:

Dear Client,

Acenet takes pride in providing you with the latest service and application versions available. This allows us to ensure the best security, performance, functionality, and features available.

We have extensively reviewed the prospect of upgrading all shared servers to newer 64-bit Operating Systems(OS). After thorough investigation our team has determined that the upgrade from 32-bit to 64-bit will be nothing short of beneficial. Accordingly, we are scheduling this server to receive an OS upgrade. Your OS will be updated from 32-bit CentOS to the latest 64-bit CentOS. Updating the server OS will ensure that your server is running at its optimal performance.

We will also be running an extensive filesystem check (FSCK) of the server\'s hard drive partitions. While there are no current problems with this server, the FSCK will act as preventative maintenance and significantly reduce the risk of problems occurring in the future.

The upgrade is scheduled as follows:

SERVER: Sky (207.45.187.90)
DATE: October 10th, 2009 @ 1:00am (EST)
MAINTENANCE WINDOW: 10/10/2009 @ 1:00am (EST) - 10/10/2009 @ 7:00am (EST)
EXPECTED DURATION: 4 - 6 hours

No action is required on your part. The entire procedure will be handled by our technicians and your website will be brought back online precisely as it was before the maintenance started. We\'re estimating the process to take roughly 4 to 6 hours.

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns please post a ticket with our helpdesk at:

https://esupport.acenet-inc.net

Thank you.

-Acenet Engineering

September 28th, 2009, 22:08
Thank you for letting us know two weeks in advance so we can begin to plan how we will make it through those six hours. Candles? Check. Canned food? Check. Fill the bathtub with water? Check. Tape up the windows? Check.

September 29th, 2009, 09:18
This is 2009...you don't have to be either at home or in front of a PC to follow the inanities of SGT. Haven't you heard of smart phones?

Brad the Impala
September 29th, 2009, 15:37
A little graciousness as a guest in someone's house never goes amiss.

September 29th, 2009, 16:25
Fill the bathtub with water? Check.

.... Razor blade? Check (hope springs eternal).

A little graciousness as a guest in someone's house never goes amiss.

As does a litte honesty about what we say about our hosts behind their backs in PMs, Brad.

Brad the Impala
September 29th, 2009, 17:19
[quote="Brad the Impala":16sd8avj]A little graciousness as a guest in someone's house never goes amiss.

As does a litte honesty about what we say about our hosts behind their backs in PMs, Brad.[/quote:16sd8avj]

Stirring again GF? There is only one host here, and that's Bob. Please don't imply that I have been dishonest in comments about him in private messages, unless of course you can back it up.........................

I have said rude things publicly, and privately, about jinks. He is not my favourite moderator, just as I am sure that I am not his favourite poster, so no story there.

You previously stated that you had me on ignore, and you seemed to be so rational in the last few days, you sounded almost human. Perhaps the two are related and you should leave me on ignore!

Graciousness was never a quality that your posts brought to mind, but my comments were directed more towards the guest who has previously had to be ejected several times from parties, at which he has become over rowdy.

Now back to the fund raising.

September 30th, 2009, 00:11
Stirring again GF?

"Stirring"? No, simply stating a fact (not an opinion). And since you ask me to "back it up"and obviously give me permission to repeat the contents of that particular part of the PM where you wrongly assumed that "if your enemy is my enemy, you are my friend" - a policy I dislike almost as much as I dislike dishonesty - I will do so: the post was sent on 25 May 2008 at 02:18 and included the following:

To: Gone Fishing
.... the man is the worst kind of expatriate cunt. Unfortunately I am not sure that the moderator and some of the other posters, particularly expats in Pattaya are much better....

Charles

You have never made any attempt until now to differentiate between our "host" and our "moderator", despite my having raised the point with you, so my conclusion does not seem unreasonable. Should you choose to deny this I am quite prepared to make the contents of my PM box available to ES, as I have recently stated elsewhere in a different connection, after I have removed any other posts, in the unlikely event that he is remotely interested.

Your efforts at "fund raising" on ES's behalf are, as usual, unnecessary, in poor taste, and will do nothing to help his cause (as a number of posters have mentioned before). For your information (and had you not raised the point I would not have done so) I will not be contributing - I have stated my reasons very clearly before and as none of the points I raised received any response I can see little point in repeating them (unless, of course, you think that would help?).

As for the "over rowdy guest", objectionable though their company may be I would prefer it to that of a lying obsequious little turd who constantly lies about what people have or have not said, deliberately misquotes them or quotes them out of context, and has little constructive to offer to any discussion - rather like an annoying little dog whose yapping interrupts the conversation, who gets underfoot, and who pisses on your shoe when he can't get any attention.

Ignore you? Yes, that would probably be the best solution (at least for you!).

(And just in case you are tempted to do so to try to divert attention away from yourself or to try to revive a long dead debate, NO, I do NOT give you permission to publish any PMs I have written about a now departed poster - and as your "host" has already deleted those threads to publish them against his wishes, as you have done before, would be most ungracious)

Brad the Impala
September 30th, 2009, 00:39
[quote="Brad the Impala":1eh0wq6n]Stirring again GF?

"Stirring"? No, simply stating a fact (not an opinion). And since you ask me to "back it up"and obviously give me permission to repeat the contents of that particular part of the PM where you wrongly assumed that "if your enemy is my enemy, you are my friend" - a policy I dislike almost as much as I dislike dishonesty - I will do so: the post was sent on 25 May 2008 at 02:18 and included the following:

[color=#FF0000]From: Brad the Impala
To: Gone Fishing
.... the man is the worst kind of expatriate cunt. Unfortunately I am not sure that the moderator and some of the other posters, particularly expats in Pattaya are much better....

Charles

[/quote:1eh0wq6n]

I didn't give you permission to post the same part of a "private message" when you did so originally, so I can't imagine why you think you need permission now! Is it to be an annual event?

Beachlover
October 4th, 2009, 07:15
Isn't it a semi-annual event? :blackeye:

Smiles
October 11th, 2009, 14:02
Well, THAT was disappointing and thoroughly anti-climactic. Rather akin to the Y-2000 mass paranoia and the short and not-so-sweet bout of coitus interruptus I experienced last night.

DCbob
October 11th, 2009, 16:22
This is 2009...you don't have to be either at home or in front of a PC to follow the inanities of SGT. Haven't you heard of smart phones?

Great I sure hope the smart phone teaches you something.