PDA

View Full Version : Monsoon ...

Smiles
September 25th, 2009, 14:25
The other day I was sitting in a small cafe on Sasong Rd here in Hua Hin. It was a sprinkly day ~ 'gentle' rain' as Thais call it ~ which was a good excuse for a beer and a plate of khao pad gai waiting for both the water to disappear, and my guy to make his appearance for our hunt for some special advertising material for business.

I had The BKK Post in hand as well as the beer, feeling a pleasant mellow buzz, and looking over the big double editorial page, which on this particular day just happened to be comprised of more than it's fair share of think-pieces knocking Thai politicians in general for their lethargy, incompetence, childishness, combativeness, well-fed physiques, really bad rugs etc etc ... all well-deserved I'm certain.
As well, it was a particularly good edition for the Letters-to-the-Editor section being chock-a-block filled with wordy whining and complaining farangs, all with the ever-present background subliminal message hiss: I.E. " ... Thais would all be a damn sight better off if they'd just do things more like the way we do in the West ... ". In the presence of the aforementioned buzz, I thought to myself that it felt a little like the Baht-Stop sensibility in fact :blackeye:
.................................................. .............................

Fast forward one day (i.e. yesterday) and I found myself alone and fast-walking the great 5 kilometer sweep of Hua Hin beach ... a bit of very neglected exercise I was desperately in need of. The sand had a perfect hardness for either a run or a walk ... about an hour after the tide had gone out past where I was trundling along at the moment, and the drying had taken over leaving a walker's paradise.
The original casual walk had turned into 'fast' because, looking to the south towards Cha Am and (eventually) Bangkok, the sky had begun to turn dark and black and foreboding, and a decent wind had started to pick up. I knew the meaning of "outta the blue" on this occasion as I had started off a half hour before in brilliant sunshine.
Another half kilometer and I thought I'd better play it safe: which In My World means a Leo beer stop and a good book to keep me company, and for pete's sake wasn't I right at that moment standing smack dab in front of my second favourite beach chair consession (the #1 is my landlady's place ... free chairs for my guy and me, and a little sucking up).
The young guy (about 34 I think) who runs the place with his mother is always a nice bit of eye candy, and in fact he was making a bee-line for me already (it's Low Season), and taking my hand led me over to a nice big loungechair and umbrella. A Leo Beer 'yai' followed quickly and the sky's got darker and darker and I was glad to be where I was.

The place had conjoured a makeshift rain shelter behind the 3 rows of loungechairs: seven or eight umbrellas all pitched to overlap and then a giant blue tarpaulin thrown over the whole lot.
Good thing too. About 30 minutes later the rain started pelting down (can I say "in buckets", no forget that, can I say "wheelbarrows full", no way, let's talk "whole German Zepplins full"). Now it is after all, the rainy season in Thailand. Here in Hua Hin we've had two to four hours of rain every day now for a week, and the land is lush and greeny and flower-filled. But this puppy was Something Else: This was the Mother of Monsoon rainfalls, Noahs Arc territory, the Hoover Damn collapsing next door, Katrina's grandfather. Unlike most rainy days, the lightening flashed in great brilliance, the boom happening milliseconds after ... the son of a bitch was right overhead ("umbrellas attract lightening don't they?").

I was partly soaked in warm, rather comforting water by the time I reached the short distance from my chair to the tent behind, and it was there I spent the next two hours ... with book and beer (and aforementioned buzz, for the 2nd time in two days) and ~ eventually, after tiring of the book ~ thinking about metaphors. The tent worked fairly well, though it was not 100% waterproof and my full beer glass suffered from a rather mesmerizing assault by a single drip of clean rainwater every ten seconds (I timed it, the lag was perfect, my glass had become a clock!).

The metaphor was all about The Monsoon.
Thai people 'worship' this particular type of rain (but rightly, they should be worshipping the Himalayas in fact), because it is their life blood. Without the monsoon Thailand might well be part desert, barren, cropless, riceless. My guy can remember 'bad' years, and being from a farm family (who isn't here?), by 'bad' he invariably means 'only small rain'.
Under the tent, a few ~ but only a few, to the other's credit ~ of my bedraggled fellow hostages were complaining about the water leaking in, and presumably about the ruination of a holiday, and things not being 'perfect' (as if ... in Thailand). I felt like (though I didn't) standing up like a professor and facing my captive audience and explaining to them the thankfulness to the Gods they should be feeling to be sitting huddled under the crashing earthwards of a essential life force in this place they'd chosen to fly to. They were covered in a Life Blood and didn't know it. Someone should tell them.
But I didn't, and I'm sure they were wondering how drunk this silly farang was with that rather odd semi-smile he had been wearing on his face for the last hour.

And The Metaphor rolled on: I thought back to the Bangkok Post articles I'd read on the editorial page the day before. Most of them had in one spin or another alluded to the chaotic do-nothing-ism of Thai politics and what was going to become of the country, and what was the long term future of Thailand, and why could it not develop a 'real' democracy instead of wallowing in the Army/Police state 'veneer' democracy they had now and and and and (don't even get me going on 'corruption') ..... and Baht-Stop's whining ponderousness along the same lines.

And I thought of what the Thais really want deep deep down. Democracy and Thaksin's Red Shirts and Whoever's-Behind Yellow Shirts and lazy politicians and wailing farangs be damned. What's 'real' is the Monsoon, and that it comes, like clockwork, every year ... in abundance.

I wandered out into the last drops ~ the 'gentle rain' ~ on my walk home and got as deliberately soaked in the giant pools of rainwater which littered sidewalks and streets as I possibly could ... 'ting tong' farang I'm sure.

mahjongguy
September 25th, 2009, 17:11
Very generous of you. Thanks.

September 25th, 2009, 17:25
Yes, very generous. Thank you. Almost as good as Dormicum.

Bob
September 25th, 2009, 21:34
Rather nice, Khun Smiles. Although I was aided to some degree by a lot of happy memories (and, perhaps, by the Bud Light "yai" I was sipping), I rather enjoyed the mood you evoked although I will admit it was flavored with a "goddamit-I'd-rather-be-there-than-here" feeling.

llz
September 25th, 2009, 23:40
Unusual and colourful story, thanks ..

By the way did you have time to visit the Ae's Place on soi 56 ?

September 26th, 2009, 11:11
Nice post Smiles.

FYI though, the Monsoon (at least upcountry) was late this year. Ladyboyfriend's mom's rice crop was hit real hard (they are not on irrigation).
In India it was disasterously late this year.

There is an "El Nino" forming in the Pacific right now which has a negative effect on the Asian Monsoon. But in my neck of the woods it means we're gonna have a pounding of winter/spring storms. And like the Thais we look foward to our (winter) seasonal rains to bring snow to the montains which will fill our resevours in the dry summer...so we can keep watering our lawns and fill our swimming pools.

Ah, the California Dream. :glasses7:

Smiles
September 26th, 2009, 11:24
" ... FYI though, the Monsoon (at least upcountry) was late this year. Ladyboyfriend's mom's rice crop was hit real hard (they are not on irrigation).
In India it was disasterously late this year ... "
Yes ... 'bad' can certainly mean too much water as well.
What part of upcountry does your lady(boy)friend reside? Pot said this year had been just about perfect, though last year rotted 70% of his cassava crop.
The Monsoon ~ like Thai pols, and life itself ~ is still damnably inconsistent.

(llz, please check your PM's)

September 26th, 2009, 11:59
...What part of upcountry does your lady(boy)friend reside? Pot said this year had been just about perfect, though last year rotted 70% of his cassava crop.
The Monsoon ~ like Thai pols, and life itself ~ is still damnably inconsistent.
They're in Chainat, the upper end of the lowlands. But they're in an area with no canals so are dependent on rainfall.
I don't know if there's a Thai version of The Old Farmers Almanac but at a certain point they decide "We plant rice today" and off they go. This year the tender shoots didn't get enough rain at the right time.
I think they do better with cassava/manoic (tapioca for those of you un-initiated) since the area seems so dry. Rice is the big cash earner when it pays off so sometimes they gamble.

I've come to realize where the Thais get their passion for gambling. Every year they have to decide if its going to be rice, manoic or sugarcane. Every year its a crapshoot guessing what the weather's going to be. Sometimes you guess right and make a big haul, sometimes you go bust.

In America we only have to worry about which Stocks and Bonds to buy.

I guess its just a different kind of crapshoot.

Brad the Impala
September 26th, 2009, 17:14
Smiles is the only poster here who can write these meandering musings about the minutiae of life, that are both entertaining and intriguingly descriptive of real life. On occasions even memorable. I still remember him in a taxi to Hua Lampong, anxious that he and Pot might be late for their train, while Pot was relaxed beside him, explaining that it was like a bouncing ball, who knows which way it will bounce, and there will be another train along soon anyway.

My own bf may be a little less poetic, but still dispels neurotic anxieties by putting them in perspective, asking drily "Anybody dead?!"

Bob
September 27th, 2009, 00:18
My own bf may be a little less poetic, but still dispels neurotic anxieties by putting them in perspective, asking drily "Anybody dead?!"

Yes, it's always enlightening (and, actually fun in most cases) to watch the differences in the western and Thai psyches. Difficult to explain but us westerners sure do fret ("tink too much?") about so many things that the Thais ignore.

When I used to complain on occasion about the bf not wearing his motorsy helmet (and I was trying to ramp up the discussion a bit so he'd understand how serious the topic was), he reacted as if I was asking him how many buttons were on his shirt. And he always calmly ended the discussion with a simple dry statement of "no problem, not my day to die."

Khun Smiles, in my personal view, is rather "mellow" (meant in a 1960-ish positive manner) compared to most other westerners I know; however, compared to Pot, he's a frettin' machine extraordinaire....hehe. I probably am too but I'm learning.

September 27th, 2009, 01:14
smiles - wonderful - more please!

Bob - i used to "tink" too much and be told so often ,many moons ago with many furious rows ensuing. Now im just ting tong and they seem to love my mai pen rai attitude which normally leads to a lot more fun and a lot more honesty and open talk from Thai folk. These "simple uneducated country folk" certainly can teach us a lot.

September 27th, 2009, 01:52
Potest ex casa magnus vir exire

Beachlover
September 27th, 2009, 09:05
Smiles is the only poster here who can write these meandering musings about the minutiae of life, that are both entertaining and intriguingly descriptive of real life. On occasions even memorable. I still remember him in a taxi to Hua Lampong, anxious that he and Pot might be late for their train, while Pot was relaxed beside him, explaining that it was like a bouncing ball, who knows which way it will bounce, and there will be another train along soon anyway.

Haha... I like the "anybody dead?!" one.

It's not just Westerners who "tink [worry] too much"... The Chinese do as well.

September 27th, 2009, 09:15
smiles - wonderful - more please!

Bob - i used to "tink" too much and be told so often ,many moons ago with many furious rows ensuing. Now im just ting tong and they seem to love my mai pen rai attitude which normally leads to a lot more fun and a lot more honesty and open talk from Thai folk. These "simple uneducated country folk" certainly can teach us a lot.
I totally agree they're on par with the Irish.

Smiles
September 28th, 2009, 10:17
" ... I still remember him in a taxi to Hua Lampong, anxious that he and Pot might be late for their train, while Pot was relaxed beside him, explaining that it was like a bouncing ball, who knows which way it will bounce, and there will be another train along soon anyway.
My own bf may be a little less poetic, but still dispels neurotic anxieties by putting them in perspective, asking drily "Anybody dead?! ... "
Oh my god Brad, how long ago was that? :8(

Details not quite spot on though: it was Bang Sue Station not Hualamphong, and the bouncing ball comment was actually this: " ... the train missed us (!!!???), cannot run after it ... " (this immediately after we'd missed the day train to Chiang Mai because Mr Pot had directed us to sit and wait on the 'going south' side of the track instead of the 'going north'! Him knowing all about Bangkok etc etc). And there was no other train that day.
:violent1:

bao-bao
September 29th, 2009, 08:18
Very nice, Smiles, thank you - and greetings from Sattahip.

Although I always end up being ready to go "home" I envy those of you who are here on a long-term basis... it allows you the luxury of time to observe things at a more leisurely pace, as it should be done! I often find myself a little over-scheduled here, only allowing time for making countless small reminder notes on a notepad as I move around - sometimes on mere scraps of paper that end up as damp wads I find at the bottom of my pockets at the end of the day. The upside to that is being able to re-live back home the joyous rides through the farmlands of Isaan, extraordinary meals with new friends and the overall spirit of sanuk the Thai find in most everything.

I disagree with the folks who were bitching on the OpEd page: the West could learn a lot about "lightening up" from the culture here. Agreed, it has some major lumps to it's political (and business) oatmeal, but overall.. heat or no heat, rain or no rain, insufferable unpleasant farang or the blessed lack thereof, compared to home this is a magnificent country; full of gracious, attractive and accepting people.

Those who can't abide by "how they do things" here could try another country - it might free up a desirable room for rent! :cheers: