PDA

View Full Version : budget airlines, cheap lights Bangkok-Shanghai

latintopxxx
September 24th, 2009, 17:50
Hi Guys, would appreciate any info on budget airlines or cheap flights between Shanghai and Bangkok. Lately business brings me to China on a regular basis and I'm looking for a longweekend escape as I have a flexible schedule and can easily take Fridays or Mondays off.
Have looked at Bangkok air, asia air, China eastern and Air India but either there are inconvenient connections which eat into my boy hunting time or there is not much light between their prices and the regular direct connections on major airlines.

cdnmatt
September 24th, 2009, 18:58
expedia.ca is offering return flights for $720 CAD, which seems more than reasonable to me.

If you want decent responses though, you might want to let us know what price range you're looking for.

September 25th, 2009, 00:21
You might want to check flights on Air Asia at http://www.airasia.com. I am not sure if they have a Shanghai flight but I know they have been adding many China-Bangkok destinations. Good luck

September 25th, 2009, 00:29
No direct flights on Air Asia from Shanghai to Bangkok. You would have to go through KL which might be a hassle. If you can arrange a business trip to Hong Kong, Guangzhou, Shenzhen, or Macau, then you would have a direct flight to Bangkok.

fedssocr
September 25th, 2009, 04:41
If you need a low cost carrier I think you are out of luck.

Here's a Wiki about lcc's in Asia
Asian Discount airlines (http://wikitravel.org/en/Discount_airlines_in_Asia)

You can search kayak.com or other aggregators sites. Looks like the lowest round trip fares are about US$450

latintopxxx
September 25th, 2009, 11:40
I usually pay around USD650 for a return flight on China Eastern, seems to be the most reasonable price for a direct flight, can save around USD100 if I fly with Air Asia via another Chinese city but the hassle and time wasted is not worth it.
Guess I shouldn't complain as I am fortunate enough to have a travel allowance, just want to stretch it as much as possible before having to dig into my own pocket...

pong
October 1st, 2009, 20:08
hmm-I have just done this trip-as a tourist-start of sept-this site is banned in China.
There are NO discount airls at all flying into SHai. AirAsia XL flies into HANGZHOU, from its main KUL-hub. There is a direct bus from HZ airpt to SHai-taking another 3-4 hrs.
The best combo is usually use AirAsia DIRECT into mainland China-that is thus only Shenzhen or Guangzhou=CAN. Then book on sites like ctrip or elong or travelzen a connecting flight-but not too tight in time-from there onward. I used ctrip for CAN-Hangzhou (to visit that and the curerent longest bridge in thsi wold across Hangzhou bay) and just saw my statement toay-it came to 64,xx тВм/single.
Either AirIndia (you should be aware of its awful reputation among flyers) or maybe Ethiopan Air fly direct-but just 2/3 times week, thus maybe not at all convenient for just a weekend. I Spent just a full day in S-Hai this time-just passing through. Left China via CIA-Beijing airpt eve of 28/9-when the 60-yars celebrations started to come in full force there!