PDA

View Full Version : Songkran greetings

April 10th, 2006, 00:41
Sawadee krub...can anyone tell me how does one wish a thai during the songkran festival. Do you wish them "sawasdee pee mai" or what else in thai? I've always wish my thai friends thru the phone..Happy Songkran. Thought I might surprise them with something in Thai.Cheers and Happy Songkran too all of you in Thailand! :drunken:

April 10th, 2006, 01:39
"khr├аp ngaan songkraan" if you greets your boy frind.

If your greets a lady for songkran . "kh├а ngaan songkraan " ! :bigsmurf:

elephantspike
April 10th, 2006, 03:19
Are you sure, Baziel? Usually in Thai, the gender depends upon the speaker, not the person you are addressing.

April 10th, 2006, 04:31
Just greet them with a large bucket of water and be thankful you got them before they get you.

DJB0Y-old
April 10th, 2006, 05:13
I've always used..

Sawasdee Pee Mai Thai

"ngaan songkraan" means Songklan Party, I think.

AMARETTO-old
April 11th, 2006, 13:24
http://www.123greetings.com/events/thai_new_year/

Enjoy the fun, join in the fun, laugh at the fun and, above all, don't forget to say,

"Sawadee Pee Mai" -- Happy New Year !!

For Songkran or Thai New Year, the traditional greeting is "Happy New Year" ("SAWATDEE PI MAI" - สวัสดีปีใหม่) or "Lucky New Year" ("CHOK DEE PI MAI" - โชคดีปีใหม่). Heard less frequently is the expression "Be happy on Songkran day" ("KOR HAI MII KWAM SUUK NAI WAN SONGKRAN" - ขอให้มีความสุขใน ันสงกรานต์). If you want to get someone back, try "take that!" ("SOM NAM NA!" - สมน้ำหน้า).

April 11th, 2006, 15:14
Yes, the right way should be just sawatdee pee mai. I just checked with a thai friend at msn messenger.
If it's their new year, then how come 2549 changed in 1st Jan 2006?

To everyone...... thais and all you guys who love Thailand and Thai boys/guys/girls........Sawatdee Pee Mai!!

April 12th, 2006, 06:12
My personal best is "Sod off" as I slam the door shut and hibernate for 4 or 5 days. The alternative is to flee the country for somewhere like Malaysia

American Teacher-old
April 12th, 2006, 09:47
I can't stand Songkran. I too will be shuffling off to escape the water and powder paste so nastily thrown at wandering falang. Good luck to those of you staying in Pattaya!

Happy New Year,
Chris

April 12th, 2006, 13:33
Oh by the way...I forgot the farangs....HAPPY EASTER!!! :cheers: :cheers:

cottmann
April 12th, 2006, 14:25
Oh by the way...I forgot the farangs....HAPPY EASTER!!! :cheers: :cheers:

Or, alternatively, observe Passover (Nis 15, 5766) on Thursday, April 13, 2006 and Yom Hashoah - Holocaust Remembrance Day - (Nis 27, 5766) on Tuesday, April 25, 2006!

Surfcrest
April 12th, 2006, 20:47
A bunch of us were baking on a baht bus while heading down beach Road when had my first blast of Songkran water.
Without the breeze today, the temperature would have probably max'ed out a few thermometers.
This first blast of water was welcomed.

I couldn't help to think that the farang that sprayed us did so from an incredibly large motortcycle, with a gun in one hand and zipping through traffic with the other. With a quite bit of water on the road once Songkran festivities really get going tomorrow, I'm wondering how long it will be that he's sliding along under that bike. With an exceptionally high number of motorcycle crashes in Sonkran, you surely won't see me on the back of a bike.

Like many of the more sensible, I'm heading out of town to Vietnam until its all over.

If you have a pair of leather sandals, especially if they are made in Thailand you would do best to trade them in for plastic sandals until the fun is over.
They use glue to seal the soles and the fixtures in certain places and they'll start falling apart once they get wet.

Surfcrest

April 13th, 2006, 07:26
Oh by the way...I forgot the farangs....HAPPY EASTER!!!I certainlywon't be hanging around - but then I'm not 33 any more either

April 13th, 2006, 07:37
I love Songkraan.....if I can remember to keep my mouth shut as a mouthful of local water can be nasty. I especialy like it if my car is dusty, then comes the only rotten apple with a barrel of powder paint. A good tip, songkraaan is fabulous fun inside a car with the windows shut. :cheers:

April 13th, 2006, 07:39
.....if I can remember to keep my mouth shut ...