PDA

View Full Version : The things Thai boys say

Beachlover
September 18th, 2009, 21:39
Does anyone else find some of the things Thai boys say and the way they say them in Tinglish (Thai-style English) really cute?

Here's a couple:

- "Ah, you ting too much" (this phrase is mentioned so much on this board but I have only heard this once from a boy in Sydney)

- "Now laining too much"

- "Him friend me"

- "Him drinking too much"

- "Grood lurk"

- "Have a nite tree"

- "What you thinking?"

- "Him say you han-sam"

I was having a meal with a Thai boy. We both ordered a coconut shake... when they brought it out, his had this big purple flower on it and mine didn't. He quickly noticed this and said,

- "Eh? Why yours not have flower?"

- "Hahaha"....

- "[looking annoyed at the waiter] What he thinking !?" (takes the flower out with an annoyed look... LOL)

The best one I've had was in bed with one bit of anatomy inserted into the other:

I asked - "Are you ok?"

He replied - "I very ok!" [Big smile]

Adorable LOL...

September 18th, 2009, 22:04
Thai Boy says "do I have to sleep with this cheap cha-lie!! Bald, Fat, smelly and ugggggglyyy old falang???? ...no good!! " :boxing:

September 18th, 2009, 22:40
The best one I've hard was in bed with one bit of anatomy inserted into the other

freudian slip?

cdnmatt
September 18th, 2009, 22:45
"My friend you" - Apparently, this means my friends, not his.

"tee-BAH" - heh, I love using this line on a certain person.

"Me mau" - As he's on his hands and knees trying to clean up about an inch of water on my bathroom and bedroom floor, using nothing but the small shower mat.

September 19th, 2009, 01:05
You have money me? :happy7: :happy7: :happy7: :happy7:

I no want samok you it smell....... :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

Dani69
September 19th, 2009, 01:49
Maybe when you speak thai as well as they speak english you might decide not to mock them - not a bit funny in my opinion

cdnmatt
September 19th, 2009, 02:06
Maybe when you speak thai as well as they speak english you might decide not to mock them - not a bit funny in my opinion

Ohhh, don't get your panties in a knot, it's all in good fun.

Besides, I'm sure they talk about us far worst than we talk about them.

September 19th, 2009, 02:18

I don't think it is mocking or making fun of anyone. What Beachlover describes is cute and adorable.
I love this: "Eh? Why yours not have flower?"

- "Hahaha"....

- "[looking annoyed at the waiter] What he thinking !?" (takes the flower out with an annoyed look... LOL)"

brings back funny and lovely memories.

I think Tinglish is very very cute and adorable.

September 19th, 2009, 02:24
You have money me? :happy7: :happy7: :happy7: :happy7:

I no want samok you it smell

oh...well thai boys can be very honest in what they say :rolling: :laughing3:

Sen Yai
September 19th, 2009, 02:27
I don't think this is mocking. Beachlover started this thread by saying he finds it 'really cute'

The 'you-friend me' and 'my-friend you' conversation can get very confusing and also very funny if you know a little Thai language and can pronounce the words with the correct tones:

yoo = where
mee = have
mai mee = don't have
mai? ...is the way to make a statement into a question

So a converstaion can go like this:

Him: You no-have my-friend?
Me: You can be my friend!
Him: No! Where my-friend you?
Me: You my-friend me, mai?
Him: No! my-friend you, where?
Me: My friend-me yoo mai?
Him: Yes! Where my-friend you, mai?
Me: Me mai mee my-friend-me, chai mai?
Him: Mai chai! Phom mai khao jai, 555!

bing
September 19th, 2009, 03:18
One of the phrases that sticks with me is the young man in Phuket who came to my room and said, "Me Happy".
Now I am not one for calling someone drunk, and I even allow that he was my favorite for the week I was there, but the only way to translate, "Me Happy" Total beyond belief drunk. I don't know how he made it up to the second floor of the Connect Guest house, as I recall he rolled off the bed and I heard --PLOP--- He couldn't get motivated to get up off the floor. I tucked a pillow under his head and hoped he did not break anything important in the fall. Next day, he was sorry and promised not to go to anymore birthday parties while I was in town. With the passage of time, nearly 4 months now, I still have a soft spot in my heart for him, and his signature quote, "Me Happy".

cdnmatt
September 19th, 2009, 04:04
This doesn't have anything to do with language, but one thing I find really cute / adorable, is their infatuation with white skin and baby powder. Really, it seems like EVERY ONE even remotely related to the industry uses baby powder.

You can be sitting around with a bunch of guys at 4am in kun-ten (sp) drinking whiskey, and sure enough, out comes the baby powder and mirrors. :-) And they actually believe it changes the complexion of their skin. Trying to tell them it's useless is futile, because there's no way they'll listen to you.

I don't know, I find that cute for some reason. Me and my guy just use the baby powder to draw little indian marks on each others faces. Always a good way to kill time, while everyone else is pampering themselves. :-)

September 19th, 2009, 04:28
One of the phrases that sticks with me is the young man in Phuket who came to my room and said, "Me Happy".
Now I am not one for calling someone drunk, and I even allow that he was my favorite for the week I was there, but the only way to translate, "Me Happy" Total beyond belief drunk. I don't know how he made it up to the second floor of the Connect Guest house, as I recall he rolled off the bed and I heard --PLOP--- He couldn't get motivated to get up off the floor. I tucked a pillow under his head and hoped he did not break anything important in the fall. Next day, he was sorry and promised not to go to anymore birthday parties while I was in town. With the passage of time, nearly 4 months now, I still have a soft spot in my heart for him, and his signature quote, "Me Happy".

Good for you, welll my special was not because he was drunk. He was dread sick, 40 celsius or more in fever. He is my special today, he remember that, but he was not at all funny but sick.
Never the less I like thai-english.
Bing wrote be happy :-^)

September 19th, 2009, 05:19
My Thai Boyfriend speaks near fluent English (he's a graduate and has spent some time in England too), but there have been some funny misunderstandings.

A few weeks after we first met, he was helping me move into my new apartment in Bangkok. He kept telling me "You need a bean for your rabbit!", and got quite frustrated when I didn't understand. He told me with great sincerity "You are British, and I know about British language. You say... you have rabbit. You need a bean for your rabbit!"

I was very bemused but I didn't want to hurt his feelings so we went to the mall to find the magic bean.

I felt quite silly when I realised I needed a bin for my rubbish.

One Thai friend also told us we needed an ambulance when it was raining heavily. I thought this was a bit extreme, then he explained "Like the Rihanna song.... you can stand under my ambulance, bulance, bulance".

Beachlover
September 19th, 2009, 08:33
The best one I've hard was in bed with one bit of anatomy inserted into the other

freudian slip?

Corrected :-)

Beachlover
September 19th, 2009, 08:47
I don't think this is mocking. Beachlover started this thread by saying he finds it 'really cute'

The 'you-friend me' and 'my-friend you' conversation can get very confusing and also very funny if you know a little Thai language and can pronounce the words with the correct tones:

yoo = where
mee = have
mai mee = don't have
mai? ...is the way to make a statement into a question

So a converstaion can go like this:

Him: You no-have my-friend?
Me: You can be my friend!
Him: No! Where my-friend you?
Me: You my-friend me, mai?
Him: No! my-friend you, where?
Me: My friend-me yoo mai?
Him: Yes! Where my-friend you, mai?
Me: Me mai mee my-friend-me, chai mai?
Him: Mai chai! Phom mai khao jai, 555!

Goodness... glad I haven't had once of these yet LOL. I wouldn't know where to start.

Beachlover
September 19th, 2009, 09:59

I don't think it is mocking or making fun of anyone. What Beachlover describes is cute and adorable.
I love this: "Eh? Why yours not have flower?"

- "Hahaha"....

- "[looking annoyed at the waiter] What he thinking !?" (takes the flower out with an annoyed look... LOL)"

brings back funny and lovely memories.

I think Tinglish is very very cute and adorable.

Haha... my favourite was in bed

- "Are you ok?"

- "I VERY ok" [big smile looking content]

Gawd he was cute beyond belief... We splashed around in the big bath tub thing for an hour before jumping into bed. He had a great time.

September 20th, 2009, 02:35

Agreed. While it may not be mocking, I simply cannot see anything remotely funny in it. There are a good many funny examples of mixed menus, weird signs, etc, but these are just rather pathetic - a bit like a little child going home after his first trip abroad and wondering why the stupid foreigners didn't speak his language properly.

Two instances of language I was amused by were official signs:

Near Nong Khai I saw a government sign reading "Foot massage - help yourself" in the middle of a small cobbled path at a picnic site.

Outside one of my local temples, the standard "Diversion" sign read "A Diversionary Path".

Probably not in the least bit amusing to BL et al.

September 20th, 2009, 03:04
Many native English speakers are unaware that English is one of the most difficult languages to learn. Any ability to communicate is an achievment.

Diec
September 20th, 2009, 03:15
ear Nong Khai I saw a government sign reading "Foot massage - help yourself" in the middle of a small cobbled path at a picnic site.

Outside one of my local temples, the standard "Diversion" sign read "A Diversionary Path".

Probably not in the least bit amusing to BL et al.

Hey Girl Friend, I think maybe you should lay off the sauce, your posts are getting dumber and dumber. Many countries continuously butcher the English language, most times it's humorous. Can't believe anyone would take offense at an innocent mistake in translation. I think my future husband would think you are a complete turd, or is that third?

September 20th, 2009, 04:10

Agreed. While it may not be mocking, I simply cannot see anything remotely funny in it.
'
Come on it is just dam cute :-) in my opinion.
And btw I am not born into the english language.

And well I try to learn thai in the school every monday, and it can be quite funny because when we say something in thai we are acused of being unpolite,because the tone is going up and not down, or visa versa.
I hope my thai friends will not get too upset at me, but will respect me because I try to learn. I dont mind to have big laughs when I try and are mistaken.

September 20th, 2009, 06:52
Why dont you just stick your dick into their mouth so you do not have to listen to their pathetic attempt at English?

What is even worse is most Farang speaking to them them in TINGLISH, instead of CORRECT English, whereby, there may be a slim chance of these money boy trash improving their English skills, by lisening and repetition.

That is how languages are taught in school.

You may find TINGLISH cute and adorable, but I think it is just plain irritating and a pain in the arse, and it just displays a lack of desire to improve themselves.

Beachlover
September 21st, 2009, 19:14

Why do you assume I'm mocking them? I find this a lovable aspect of many of the Thai boys I've met. I don't mock it at all.

I should also add that English isn't my first language. I had enormous difficulty in my first few years of school because of this (flash backs to meetings with teachers and worried parents threatening me with beatings if I didn't get that 5-year old brain up to scratch faster)....

Beachlover
September 21st, 2009, 19:23
This doesn't have anything to do with language, but one thing I find really cute / adorable, is their infatuation with white skin and baby powder. Really, it seems like EVERY ONE even remotely related to the industry uses baby powder.

You can be sitting around with a bunch of guys at 4am in kun-ten (sp) drinking whiskey, and sure enough, out comes the baby powder and mirrors. :-) And they actually believe it changes the complexion of their skin. Trying to tell them it's useless is futile, because there's no way they'll listen to you.

I don't know, I find that cute for some reason. Me and my guy just use the baby powder to draw little indian marks on each others faces. Always a good way to kill time, while everyone else is pampering themselves. :-)

LOL... I've never seen this (must be surreal at 4am) but I've noticed many Thais' obsession with having lighter skin.

My ex BF in Sydney was from Isaan. I remember early on he mentioned Isaan people "have taboo" in Thailand... "people look down".
But he was a really smart guy... finished university and started his own business in Thailand, which he passed to his family and all (he is only 22 now)... that's more than I've done.

One time we talked about how Thai people like light skin... Western people like tanned skin. He said... yes, no like dark skin.... if have dark skin people think "eaaah.... he poor farmer... working on farm".

Beachlover
September 21st, 2009, 19:34
even worse is most Farang speaking to them them in TINGLISH, instead of CORRECT English, whereby, there may be a slim chance of these money boy trash improving their English skills, by lisening and repetition.

I noticed this is a horrendous issue. I always try to speak in proper English because I hate the idea that these Thais (hanging around farang) are losing, what should be a golden opportunity to learn good English.

It often doesn't work and I find myself repeating what I previously said in simpler "Tinglish" to be understood.

September 22nd, 2009, 06:32
Many native English speakers are unaware that English is one of the most difficult languages to learn. Any ability to communicate is an achievment.

The countries with the highest populations of native English speakers are, in descending order: United States (215 million), United Kingdom (61 million) ! :king:

cdnmatt
September 22nd, 2009, 07:03

Yeah, I was told the same bullshit when I was a kid too, but it's not true. English is difficult because of the tons of exceptions within the language that make no logical sense whatsoever, but other than that, isn't an overly difficult language. For example, we only have 26 characters in our alphabet, whereas most languages have far more.

Although we do somewhat, for the most part we don't have different words depending on whether or not we're showing respect or just joking around, whether or not it's an elderly person or a kid, whether or not you're showing respect, whether it's a family member or a friend, or a boss, and so on. With English there's a bit of that, but nowhere near other languages.

For example, try learning Hungarian, and it's definitely more difficult than English. Same with Russian, Chinese, Japanese, and tons of other languages. Not to mention you get into a tonal language like Thai, and it's next to impossible for a foreigner like us to become fluent. Thing with Thais though is, if you have a basic understand of how their sentencing structure works, you'll have a good idea of how they come up with the various English phrases they do. For us it seems kinda dumb, but for them it seems like the logical way the phrase should work.

luvthai-2
September 22nd, 2009, 08:54
The "Up To You" drives me crazy.

Patexpat
September 22nd, 2009, 11:12
The "Up To You" drives me crazy.

because you know it's not !!! :headbang:

cdnmatt
November 22nd, 2009, 06:11
ME: "No money, no honey".

BF: "Noooo.... no money, have honey!"

Or a little later that night, his (drunken) roommate finally left, to both mine and the BFs pleasure. I was really tired, so went to sleep, but unfortunately the BF wasn't, so after a while of figuring out that sex wasn't going to happen, he turned to the TV.

About an hour later around 4am as he's watching TV, the drunken roommate begins to phone. Kim quickly speaks a few words in Thai, and hangs up. Roommate continues to phone 2 or 3 more times, so now Kim's pissed. Hops out of bed, throws his clothes on, and says "Pom kawr-toot. I be back!", while he makes hand signals that he's going to give the roommate a piece of his mind.

I was sleeping, but some time later I feel Kim crawl back into bed, and put his arm around me. I rollover to say hi, and he looks at me with this cheeky smile as he says, "Mai ben rai kap!". :-)

cdnmatt
November 22nd, 2009, 06:26
[EDIT: Shit, posted this in the wrong thread!]

November 22nd, 2009, 10:28
One night I told the boy I wanted to go swimming at the beach. I asked do you know a good beach? He said yes we go to "Tomalow". I said ok. Next morning we talk and I say we go to "Tomalow". He says ok. We eat go do stuff and no beach. 2 days go by and still no beach. So I'm wondering where the hell is "Tomalow" and why doesn't he want to go there? I'm thinking maybe he can't swim or something... I finally figure out "Tomalow" is the way he pronounces: TOMORROW! :violent1:

Smiles
November 23rd, 2009, 09:49
" ... I finally figure out "Tomalow" is the way he pronounces: TOMORROW! ... "
I don't even want to guess which direction you'll be heading when you hear how a Thai says "Merry Christmas" (think: "Smelly Clitmat") :blackeye:

doug7363
November 24th, 2009, 03:40
I have no problems talking about Thai English as my bf and his family have much fun out of my English Thai.

Staying at the Tower Inn about 5 years ago bf went up to the swimming pool first but came down about 5 minutes later. "

Pool no good".
Why I asked.
"Collin in the pool".
Who is Collin?.
"Him in pool"
Well even if Colin is in the pool I cant see why other people cant use it.
" Up to you".

Went up stairs to be faced with a sign by the pool - "Do not swim - just treated with chlorine.

November 24th, 2009, 04:13
I once told my boyfriend to "give me ring" (ie to call me on his mobile).

I was rather surprised a few days later when he told me that "he was so happy I'd asked him to marry me".

I had no recollection of doing any such thing and it took some time to sort out that he'd interpreted my request as an invitation to exchange rings as in "ring on your finger".

That took some explaining...

I love the sound of his English and the misunderstandings are all part of the fun of the relationship. He laughs about it just as much as I do.

November 24th, 2009, 04:30
I was asked what time I was going to the BBQ.....Not having any recollection of being invited to a BBQ I asked where it was. He actually meant the cremation of someone that we had known, he thought that was the correct English term to use. It brought a smile to an otherwise sad occasion...........

:hello1:

November 24th, 2009, 07:09
I was asked what time I was going to the BBQ

OMG. lol.

psd1315
November 24th, 2009, 09:32
1.u big, am small

2. want gold, hate u

3. out hastbital, get excident

4. hi my daer I hop you ok here from you soon

5. good luck to you, thanks for leave me & family am die

6. I hate you, am not know u anymore.

7. Why not never contact me?

8.No body die, just my car broken, they fixed now

9. U wife?

10. Am want

11. For fun am eat, noooodle

Things I say:

Whats this? am for big money, Who do this to you? dr. But its silicone and not real! am donтАЩt care, hate u

November 24th, 2009, 23:28
Shit, posted this in the wrong thread!

No, if it was "shit" you were in the right thread.

....Hops out of bed, throws his clothes on, and says "Pom kawr-toot. I be back!", while he makes hand signals that he's going to give the roommate a piece of his mind.

Maybe the piece that could have just turned the phone off.

cdnmatt
November 25th, 2009, 10:21
....Hops out of bed, throws his clothes on, and says "Pom kawr-toot. I be back!", while he makes hand signals that he's going to give the roommate a piece of his mind.

Maybe the piece that could have just turned the phone off.

My apologies for my guy having manners. :tongue3:

November 26th, 2009, 14:38
Matt,

I think your relationship is great, you are both clearly getting what you what out of it which is what counts, but the idea that any 19 year old Thai boy "hops out of bed, throws his clothes on" at 4am and then goes out to give his "drunken roommate" who has been telephoning him " a piece of his mind" about calling him because it is good manners is, at best, amusing.

cdnmatt
November 26th, 2009, 16:31
Or another thing I like is whenever I get laughed at for my feeble attempts at speaking Thai, I just tell them to say "army". Usually shuts them right up.

THEM: "YES! I can say! Amee Amee! See, I can say!" :-)

ME: "No, no... a-RRR-mee".

THEM: "Yes, amee!"

I have trouble correctly pronouncing sounds that aren't in the English language, so whenever I get bugged, I just list off a few words with R in them. Usually does the trick. Except then of course, you always get some smart ass who can pronounce the words correctly, even with the hard R. :tongue3:

November 26th, 2009, 18:55
Or another thing I like is whenever I get laughed at for my feeble attempts at speaking Thai, I just tell them to say "army". Usually shuts them right up.

Not that I encourage cruelty, but this tongue twister would do it. "Red riding hood and robin hood ride right through the river."

November 26th, 2009, 22:25
How about a simple:

Khray khaay khai gai

or even:

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

gumblebee
November 27th, 2009, 03:23
I prefer this one

"HERFSTSCHREEUW"

Beachlover
December 3rd, 2009, 18:07
I was really tired, so went to sleep, but unfortunately the BF wasn't, so after a while of figuring out that sex wasn't going to happen, he turned to the TV.

You bastard... you should be taking care of him LOL.

Beachlover
December 3rd, 2009, 18:09
No, if it was "shit" you were in the right thread.

It's certainly the wrong thread if you have a shit sense of humour...