PDA

View Full Version : Gangs torturing and killing Iraqi gay men

Brad the Impala
September 14th, 2009, 22:00
Hamizi, a computer science graduate, is at the cutting edge of a new wave of violence against gay men in Iraq. Made up of hardline extremists, Hamizi's group and others like it are believed to be responsible for the deaths of more than 130 gay Iraqi men since the beginning of the year alone.

The deputy leader of the group, which is based in Baghdad, explained its campaign using a stream of homophobic invective. "Animals deserve more pity than the dirty people who practise such sexual depraved acts," he told the Observer. "We make sure they know why they are being held and give them the chance to ask God's forgiveness before they are killed."

Article in The Observer (http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/sep/13/iraq-gays-murdered-militias)

September 14th, 2009, 22:42
Old news, Brad.

(22 August, The Blue Diamond Affair)..... homosexuals in Iraq, who while by no means "liberated" under Saddam Hussein were at least free from religious persecution, were now being targeted by both religious zealots and the police and that Human Rights Watch had reported widespread abuses of homosexuals including a growing number of "disappearances" following arrests. So much for Western led progress.

September 14th, 2009, 23:03
Old news, Brad.

[quote="Gone Fishing":t8mno749] (22 August, The Blue Diamond Affair)..... homosexuals in Iraq, who while by no means "liberated" under Saddam Hussein were at least free from religious persecution, were now being targeted by both religious zealots and the police and that Human Rights Watch had reported widespread abuses of homosexuals including a growing number of "disappearances" following arrests. So much for Western led progress.[/quote:t8mno749]

Whilst, I've seen this discussed at greater length than here recently, I don't recollect it being discussed here. Why the opprobrium, Girl Friday?

Brad the Impala
September 14th, 2009, 23:39
Old news, Brad.

[quote="Gone Fishing":3ljjxu3o] (22 August, The Blue Diamond Affair)..... homosexuals in Iraq, who while by no means "liberated" under Saddam Hussein were at least free from religious persecution, were now being targeted by both religious zealots and the police and that Human Rights Watch had reported widespread abuses of homosexuals including a growing number of "disappearances" following arrests. So much for Western led progress.[/quote:3ljjxu3o]

This article was only published yesterday, and includes original interviews and details that have not been previously published, as far as I am aware.

The horror of the article, and sharing the information it contains, is rather more important than who posts it.

September 15th, 2009, 23:19
..... I don't recollect it being discussed here. Why the opprobrium, Girl Friday?

Hardly an opprobrium, 666, simply an observation. After all, the crux of the article ("Homosexuality was not criminalised under Saddam Hussein тАУ indeed Iraq in the 1960s and 1970s was known for its relatively liberated gay scene. Violence against gays started in the aftermath of the invasion in 2003") is not new and is virtually exactly what I wrote following reading the Human Rights Watch report on the subject, which was considerably more verifiable and far reaching, one month ago.

There was as little apparent interest in "discussing" it then as there is now - what it certainly does do, however, is put one off disclosing any personal details on the internet, despite the repeated requests (demands, in some cases) for personal information including addresses, CVs, etc..... and I have always maintained that the post is far more important than the poster.

September 15th, 2009, 23:24
Torturing and killing?

My good friend allieb assures me that is a gross exaggeration. They are actually inviting those nice young gay boys around for a spot of tea and crumpets.

thonglor55
September 16th, 2009, 15:25
Thank god that those of us who live in Thailand permanently and legally - Thai and farang - are morally, culturally, socially, intellectually and racially so much more superior than those who do not.

October 12th, 2009, 16:36
With the anti Muslim, anti Iraqi, anti terrorism feelings around the western world at the moment I doubt if anyone would really care whether these murdered homo's were persecuted or not. If they had been str8 and were murdered for some other crime would it have made a difference?
Unfortunately many in the west really don't care if a Muslim is killed, whether he is str8, gay, black or white it doesn't matter. It's a shame really, there are many good people in all walks of life.

October 12th, 2009, 21:58
Unfortunately many in the west really don't care if a Muslim is killed, whether he is str8, gay, black or white it doesn't matter. It's a shame really, there are many good people in all walks of life.

Very, very true. I would take it a stage further as I find supporting someone purely because of their religion, skin colour, or sexual preference to be as bigoted and shameful as judging them by the same factors.