PDA

View Full Version : flights to siam reap

August 29th, 2009, 20:49
IS bangkok airways the only airline to fly this route, or do some of the discount carriers do this trip

ceejay
August 29th, 2009, 21:13
I believe Bangkok Air are the only airline operating from Bangkok to Siem Reap. I used them last November and I found them a good airline to travel with.

fedssocr
August 29th, 2009, 23:27
I'm not sure how up to date this info is, but according to Wikipedia:
Airlines and destinations

* AirAsia (Kuala Lumpur)
* Asiana Airlines (Seoul-Incheon)
* Bangkok Airways (Bangkok-Suvarnabhumi, Phnom Penh)
* Cambodia Angkor Air (Phnom Penh, Ho Chi Minh City)
* China Southern Airlines (Guangzhou)
* Jetstar Pacific (Ho Chi Minh City)
* Korean Air (Seoul-Incheon)
* Lao Airlines (Luang Prabang)
* Malaysia Airlines (Kuala Lumpur)
* Silk Air (Da Nang, Singapore)
* Vietnam Airlines (Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh City, Luang Prabang)

I have flown Bangkok Airways several times and it has been a good experience for the most part. Their jets are certainly more comfortable than the ATR turboprops they use on some routes. And they use bus gates at BKK for most of their flights I believe which can be a bit of a pain. But if you need to go somewhere and they are the only choice it is not a bad service.

sjaak327
August 30th, 2009, 15:29
Indeed much more airlines use SR airport, but from Bangkok the only one flying is Bangkok Airways. Their monopoly on this route is said to end this year. Of course since the highway between Poipet - Sisophon - Siem Reap is finished now, going overland is fairly quick nowadays (and certainly heaps cheaper). Best way is take the bus from Mochit to Aran, tuk tuk to border and taxi onwards to Siem Reap. Should take you approximately 7 hours in total.

pong
August 30th, 2009, 17:17
Sjaak is right-for THIS route-as asked for, BKK-air is the only monopoly. But you get good service-even ECO-passengers can use their lounge, tickets transferable etc. No-they dont do discounts via agnts in Thailand-only their very last flight of the day is usually discounted a little.
If you want cheap and think flying is the only way to go: Air Asia direct from KUL-plan a longer trip and add a little more-or Air Asia BKk/Swampy=Pnom Penh, then a 4 hr bustrip over good roads. But indeed the road border->SR is now also for 99% up to standard-check talesofasia.com for a 'we take you by the hand and tell you all so you need not be afraid'' guidelines.
In the past BKK-air also had the odd flight UTapao (for Pattaya)_direct to SR-this may be seasonal or temporarily off due to low tourists nrs and season. but from PTY Swampy is now just as close by and much easier and hassle-free to get to.

August 30th, 2009, 20:14
going overland is fairly quick nowadays (and certainly heaps cheaper

I suppose that depends on how much your time is worth. Mine is worth taking a flight -- and then some.