PDA

View Full Version : NOTICED: anachronism alive & kicking . . . .

Smiles
August 24th, 2009, 09:27
. . . in today's Globe & Mail, in the Obituary section: file under, "just can't let go, eh?"

PLANTAGENET ~ In memory of
Richard III, last Plantagenet King of
England, who died on 22 August,
1485, defending his crown against The Usurper
Henry Tudor. 'Loyaulte me lie'.

(Richard III Society of Canada, Burlington, Ontario, Canada)

elephantspike
August 24th, 2009, 15:24
What do you send for this? Frankincense?

maisoui
August 25th, 2009, 04:29

A box set of a Canadien made TV series "The Tudors". Having insufficient history of their own they are not beneath making a bob or two out of someone else's.

Brad the Impala
August 25th, 2009, 04:41

A box set of a Canadien made TV series "The Tudors". Having insufficient history of their own they are not beneath making a bob or two out of someone else's.

I thought that it was a US series shot in Ireland. Where did the Canadians sneek in?

Smiles
August 25th, 2009, 04:41
Loved that series. Looks like the 2nd year coming up, but I don't think I'll get it in Thailand, so a box set is not a bad idea. << http://www.cbc.ca/tudors/ >> . Actually, thanks for that info. I had no idea it was a CBC show (assumed BBC), but I'm pretty sure it was filmed in England (or Ireland?). The Great North has no castles like that.

Brad, I think the CBC possibly produced it, or partly funded it.

Brad the Impala
August 25th, 2009, 05:08
Brad, I think the CBC possibly produced it, or partly funded it.

You are right. The Producers are given as:

Reveille Productions, LA

Working Title Films, London

B├│rd Scann├бn na h├Йireann, Galway

And last but not least:

Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC)

maisoui
August 26th, 2009, 03:17

I thought that it was a US series shot in Ireland. Where did the Canadians sneek in?

I think I read it in the "Radio Times". Frankly, as a practicing Scot, the Tudors make me puke and I refuse to watch any of it.

August 26th, 2009, 06:19
I think I read it in the "Radio Times". Frankly, as a practicing Scot, the Tudors make me puke and I refuse to watch any of it.

Keep practicing ... one day you might get as perfect as the English :king: :queen:

August 26th, 2009, 10:01
anachronism - from the Greek ╬▒╬╜╬м (ana: against, anti-) and ╧З╧Б╧М╬╜╬┐╧В (chronos: time)тАФis an error in chronology, especially a chronological misplacing of persons, events, objects, or customs in regard to each other. The item is often an object, but may be a verbal expression, a technology, a philosophical idea, a musical style, a material, a custom, or anything else so closely associated with a particular period in time that it would be incorrect to place it outside its proper domain. - Wkipedia

maisoui
August 27th, 2009, 05:26

Keep practicing ... one day you might get as perfect as the English :king: :queen:

I suspect this kind of thing helps our American cousins understand why the Scots have developed such an acute sense of compassion.

August 27th, 2009, 13:16
I suspect this kind of thing helps our American cousins understand why the Scots have developed such an acute sense of compassion.What about us Welsh? I mean Tom Jones, Shirley Bassey - how much more do we have to do for God's sake!

Irish1972
September 1st, 2009, 21:03
They were shooting some scenes for "The Tudors" last week in Christchurch Dublin

http://irish-architecture.com/buildings ... ristch.htm (http://irish-architecture.com/buildings_ireland/dublin/southcity/christchurch_place/christch.htm)

September 2nd, 2009, 00:47
I suspect this kind of thing helps our American cousins understand why the Scots have developed such an acute sense of compassion.What about us Welsh? I mean Tom Jones, Shirley Bassey - how much more do we have to do for God's sake!

I'm not sure that sending Tom Jones to Nevada is quite on the same scale of compassion as letting mass murderers loose.

September 6th, 2009, 06:50
I'm still curious as to why Smiles believes the original notice to be an anachronism.