Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Italian food in Bangkok ... ?

Liked

Italian food in Bangkok ... ?

My dearest is quite open to new cuisines . . . he discovered ~ and loves ~ mashed potatoes!
    But he's an Isaan guy from the heart and I have to drag him away from "some noodle" every once in awhile.

Anyway, I've not taken him to an Italian restaurant in the Big Mango and I think it's time to have a go. Searched here: http://www.dininginthailand.com/restaurant8.asp and there are some interesting sounding places. But that's a net thing, and I was wondering whether anyone has a favourite Italiano ristorante (hopefully with al fresco area) they'd like to recommend for us to take our chances with.

Cheers ...

Just another reason why I love living in Thailand

Liked: 1

Dulio's

Dulio's used to have a place in Pattaya next to Foodland and one on Suckhumvit road Bangkok. The Pattaya one has gone.

A friend recently recommneded a place by Tarntawan Place and it turned out to be a Duilio's in the semi-basement of the Tawana Ramada (spit! of huge joiner's fee fame). There are large windows so it does not feel underground. At lunch there the food was terrific, superb pasta and the lunch discounts large.

They used to advertise in Thai Guys and I think one of the owners is gay friendly or more.

Other Italian places I have tried:

Biscotti at the Four Seasons - superb and always a delight
    Zanotti - very disappointing but busy and has a great buzz - others seem to be enjoying their food.
    Scuzzi on Silom a posh place but I will never grace it's doors again.

All these restaurants seem popular and busy

There are droves more as Thais seem besotted with Italian food of any quality. In my experience Italian food is all about great ingredients and you do need superb pasta, olive oil, veal and parmsan which are often missing in Thailand
    I hope that my posts will be of use.

The Dame Sanitary Napkin, late of this parish pointed out some time ago that a small place on Soi Convent was now being run by one of HK's most celbrated Italian restaraunteurs, but I forget the details. Perhaps someone else remembers his reviews. This isn't the fresh baked pizza place which I consider a bit expensive and more of a lunch place.

What amuses me about Italian food is that every few years we seem to see a new wave of popularity for some Italian "tradition" e.g. Tiramisu, buffalo cheese ( surely this will be Issan's economic saviour ).

Liked

Italian food

I was often taken to Siam city hotel by a friend of mine from Hong Kong.

While I have never stayed there they did have a wonderful Italian restaurant with excellent service. I understand that the cost was reasonable for a hotel.

Don't kill the messenger:

La Buca
    Sukhumvet, Soi 1 (In a shop-house near the...Bunregard...Bumrungrad...whatever...Hospital .)
    Unpretentious, great food, Decent wines.

If you hope to wow him with the circus: an orgy of glass, stained glass, fountains...you name it....
    L'Opera
    Suck`emwet, Soi 39. Looks like...An Opera...duh.
    Some think this is the best Italian in Bangkok; If it's not, please tell me what is. (Maybe, La Buca?)
    Extensive menu. Try an Italian seafood dish.

Avoid places on Silom unless you love places on the order of--Gag-and-Vomit--California Pizza--And I think there is one of those--And there is...or was...just the name's enough to put one off...a Spaghetti Warehouse. Especially, avoid the Italian joint (Is to Naples what Detroit is to Tokyo) in Patong...on Soi 3?...Near Foodland...I think: It's so forgettable, can't remember the name or exact street.

In Pattaya:
    The place on Beach Road--Sorry, can't remember the name: Gregorio's (?)--in small house behind (When exiting for Beach Road) the Amari.

The Amari has an outdoor Italian buffet one night a week: usually an ad in Pattaya Mail--but seems to slip a little more every year.

I love the fried strawberry & pink peppercorn sundae at Bruno's! `Makes cherries jubilee seem like fifty years in a convent!

Liked

archives up the shit

I remember a thread on restaurants in BKK sometime before xmas.

I thought I would do a search and went to archive 3
    Gay Thailand Archives [3]
    1 Sept 2005 - 5 Dec 2005

this is not an accurate period of time, it has a mixture of posts from april to june ( page 19) and finishes 31 aug (page 01)

I accept that was the time of upheaval.
    Spike I am not having a shot at you, you did well to get this up and running again , just this is something I had noticed before when using search.

I am going to bed now it is almost monday. But as I type I wonder if the old board archives are a better place to search for this subject.

There is a wealth of interesting info that seems to have disappeared.

Maybe those in a different time frame, might be able to find the thread in the old board (sept to dec 05) and so help all of us.

I am as interested as smiles in this subject
    Wombat : an Australian marsupial that eats,roots and leaves

Liked: 1

I love Italian

My two favorite Italian restaurants in BKK: Zanotti on Convent 02-636-0002 and Limoncello off of Sukumvit Soi 11 (near the Ambassador Hotel) 02-651-0707. Limoncello is much more casual.

Reservations are a must at both places.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: Italian restaurants in Bangkopk

Recommending restaurants is like recommending religions, so I hesitate slightly...but here goes.

I'm not a Bangkok person but did stumble across Scozzi Pizzeria who serve a great authentic thin crust Italian pizza. They are located on Suriwong Rd. a few blocks from Tarntewan. No ambiance what-so-ever....so I ask for an outside table.

I'll second Edith's recommendation for La Buca...great pasta dishes...good selection of "reds"...and the best Tirimisu in town. Usually the last place I dine (with someone) before heading back to Don Muang.

In Pattaya, I enjoy Max Italian Restaurant on Soi Post Office. Cozy...wonderful home made pasta/truly Italian...reasonable prices.

My favorite pizza in PTY comes sliding out of the ovens at Pizzeria Romana on second Rd...it's the real deal!

The Italian Restaurant (name?) which sits across the soi from Two Faces in the Jomtien Complex consistently serves great meals. Boy Special is addicted to their lasagna and I favor their veal parmesan and quadro formaggi pizza. It's a casual open-air eatery and great for an afternoon stop-in on your way home from the beach. They have a waiter who's as mouth watering as the Tirimisu...but when I'm with Boy Special I stick to the ala carta menu.

Bon Apetite...

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Not so Italian Restaurants

Smiles,

This isn't an Italian restaurant, nor is it located in Bangkok...but I couldn't resist mentioning a place called Zum Simple Bei Heike Restaurant - located on South Pattaya Rd., just a few yards from the intersection of Second Rd. If you're ever just in the meat n' potatoes mood try them out. They serve both European and Thai cuisine, but the Euro has my vote. They serve the best beef tenderloin I've ever had in LOS. Their prime tenderloin fillet is of Viking proportion (at least 14 ounces), topped with a creamy peppercorn sauce and served with a large portion of fried potatoes and onions (German style). They have a small closed-in non-smoking area which only has a few small tables which I recommend also. I'm a smoker but chose this private seating area for its romantic qualities. It's Boy Specials favorite restaurant also...and we rarely agree on anything...LOL

Cheers...

Liked

Re: Italian restaurants in Bangkopk

Quote Originally Posted by Dodger
    I'll second Edith's recommendation for La Buca...great pasta dishes...good selection of "reds"...and the best Tirimisu in town ..."
    That should just about clinch it right there!!
    Forget the beloved ... this is all about me when it comes to tirimisu, which by the way is not a food fad or affectation (as implied in a post above) but, when done to perfection, is a sublime and classic dessert floating far above the vagaries of culinary fashion. What I especially enjoy about tirimisu is how every dessert chef makes it differently. Bad ones are god awful (they use Reddiwhip), great ones orgasmic ... I like to get the cream/sponge cake all over my mouth.

For what sounds like the WORST recipe for Tirimisu on the face of the earth (it's from America), get a load of this:

Twinkie-misu (Tirimisu)

Items Needed:

A Box of Hostess Twinkies (!!?)
    1/2 cup strong coffee, cooled & sweetened
    1/4 cup Kahlua (optional)
    1/2 gallon coffee or coffee & chocolate ice cream

Chocolate shavings or sprinkles

DIRECTIONS: Slice Twinkies in half lengthwise. Spray 9 x 5 loaf pan with cooking spray.
    Put five Twinkie halves, cream side up, side by side in pan. Mix coffee and Kahlua (optional);
    with pastry brush, apply liberally to cut side of Twinkies. Spoon about a 1/2 inch layer of
    softened ice cream over Twinkies. Repeat until you have used enough Twinkies & ice cream
    to fill the loaf pan. Cover tightly with foil and freeze several hours or overnight. This can
    be served from the pan in slices or unmolded, garnished with the chocolate and served.
    Serves about 10

Anyway guys, thanks for all these excellent responses. I'll do a review of the place we end up in.

Cheers ...
    Just another reason why I love living in Thailand