Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help

Thread: Straight Shan guys

Straight Shan guys

I have been thinking about this phrase for a day or two, and I have to say that it brings very sweet memories.

After all, one of the standing jokes among my friends is "Straight like X." I won't name "X" -- in fact I won't name anyone -- because I feel strongly that discussing others behind their back is impolite.

In addition, "X" could be many people. The Shan boys I have met make the whole question of gay/straight look like Just Another Dubious Product of Western Christian Culture. In particular, I remember one Shan boy (let's call him "Y," to be scientific): I asked him about being attracted to both sexes and he very emphatically replied that there were LOTS of guys who were attracted to both. The exact wording was คนเยอะ -- lots of people. And, I mention again, he was EMPHATIC about it.

That may explain why some of the best sexual friendships I have ever had in my life have been with Shan (Tai-Yai) guys. No, they don't bottom, typically, but everything else is open for the fun-seeking spirit: kissing, caressing, and all the rest. All the rest most definitely includes love and friendship, which (for me, anyhow) is the reason I want to spend time with young men in any case.

So...is it "Really True" that 95 percent of men are straight, and only 5 percent are gay?

I suspect that it is a Cultural Truth -- that is to say, the truth of the statement depends on where you find yourself at the moment. Certainly, American lads have an enormous investment in "not being queer." This never seems to occur to men in other cultures, who know very well what sex they prefer, and never imagine that playing around on the side will change that a bit!

Re: Straight Shan guys

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Cate
    I have been thinking about this phrase for a day or two, and I have to say that it brings very sweet memories.

After all, one of the standing jokes among my friends is "Straight like X." I won't name "X" -- in fact I won't name anyone -- because I feel strongly that discussing others behind their back is impolite.

In addition, "X" could be many people. The Shan boys I have met make the whole question of gay/straight look like Just Another Dubious Product of Western Christian Culture. In particular, I remember one Shan boy (let's call him "Y," to be scientific): I asked him about being attracted to both sexes and he very emphatically replied that there were LOTS of guys who were attracted to both. The exact wording was ├а┬╕тАЮ├а┬╕тДв├а┬╣тВ ├а┬╕┬в├а┬╕┬н├а┬╕┬░ -- lots of people. And, I mention again, he was EMPHATIC about it.

That may explain why some of the best sexual friendships I have ever had in my life have been with Shan (Tai-Yai) guys. No, they don't bottom, typically, but everything else is open for the fun-seeking spirit: kissing, caressing, and all the rest. All the rest most definitely includes love and friendship, which (for me, anyhow) is the reason I want to spend time with young men in any case.

So...is it "Really True" that 95 percent of men are straight, and only 5 percent are gay?

I suspect that it is a Cultural Truth -- that is to say, the truth of the statement depends on where you find yourself at the moment. Certainly, American lads have an enormous investment in "not being queer." This never seems to occur to men in other cultures, who know very well what sex they prefer, and never imagine that playing around on the side will change that a bit!
    My compliments on an excellent observation.
    "The Shan boys I have met make the whole question of gay/straight look like Just Another Dubious Product of Western Christian Culture." Just wonderful!

Liked
    Spot on, Henry.

I think that the Western Christian Culture is no the only one that scratches their asses in frustration at the phenomenon, but also 'enlightened' sexologists tied to a more political view of sexuality.

It all reminds me of the T-shirt ad I saw in some gay rag years ago. On it were emblazened the words: "I'm not gay, but my boyfriend is."

I like the sentiment in your post Henry, but I can only speak from personal experience, and that's to say that I'm 100% gay, through and through. I like the idea of everyone being a little bit bi-sexual, and having the freedom of sexuality, and how great it is/could be, but I can only speak from personal experience. The thought of a pair of flappy beef curtains in my face or nestling on my groin turns my stomach no end, and I wish to play no part in that kind of perversion. It's simply gross.

I like the idea of a bisexual utopia though, but only so that I'd have a chance with some of the better looking 'straight' guys out there, but if it meant I'd have to massage some woman's axe wound, forget it.