Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Travel Insurance

Travel Insurance

I realise this has probably been answered before here but I've done a search and not come up with anything terribly useful.

What companies provide decent travel insurance at reasonable prices? I am not looking for a years worth, just a month or two and effectively hospital/medical insurance. Any assistance greatly appreciated.

And are there any Thai companies who provide travel insurance for Farangs on holiday in Thailand?

Thanks.

Liked
    You might try this site: http://www.bupathailand.com/personal.asp .
    Also, a PM to Sawatdee member TravelerJim might help as well ( http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/fo ... ber44.html ). He's a travel insurance dude I believe.

Cheers ...
    Just another reason why I love living in Thailand

American Express

do travel insurance, its actually really cheap now, you can get cover for 12 months annual insurance on the internet for around 70 UK pounds. An AX is fairly well respected, but like any insurance you should check the fine print, i.e. "is it for you".

Not sure where you from (shouldnt make any difference), AX are in every country.

Dangerous sports, etc

Many travel insurances have a lot of exemptions for anything from bungee jumping to parasailing, go karts and horse riding; if you need the "normal" I agree with BUPA / Blue Cross / Amex, etc; for anything out of the ordinary try the British Mountaineering Association who provide a wide variety of packages to cover virtually every eventuality. If interested I can give anyone interested more details (no commission!).

Liked
    There is a really nice south African guy, runs the inter net shop at Big C, 2nd Road. His name is Tom.

He can get you quotes on all your insurance policies.

Because I am over 65 and have had health problems no company will insure me!.

for short trips, on the basis that i never (touch wood) need to use insurance i always go for a cheap option quoted on www.moneysupermarket.com (a UK based site that compares various insurance options)

caveat: i have always had insurance but have never thankfully needed to use it so i cannot vouch for the ease of any claims process

(the site compares hundreds of policies and gives u the option to check the small print for all and get the cover most applicable to your individual circumstances)

Liked

Re: American Express

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteDesire
    do travel insurance, its actually really cheap now, you can get cover for 12 months annual insurance on the internet for around 70 UK pounds. An AX is fairly well respected, but like any insurance you should check the fine print, i.e. "is it for you".

Not sure where you from (shouldnt make any difference), AX are in every country.
    American Express offers travel/medical insurance which covers members for 45 days when traveling anywhere 500 miles from their home. Cost is about $10 USD/month and one must subscribe on a yearly basis. I was informed by American Express that they do not offer extended coverage. But who knows for sure?

Re: Travel Insurance

Quote Originally Posted by Diao maa
    And are there any Thai companies who provide travel insurance for Farangs on holiday in Thailand?
    Bupa Thailand have a "Sunshine" policy which is for up-to-6-month trips. As I understand it, if you leave the country (even for a visa run) that terminates the policy but you should check the fine print - http://www.bupathailand.com/sunshine.asp

There's a worldwide insurance company - IAG - that offers travel insurance policies in many countries for travellers overseas, and some of them are annual policies. Generally there's a limited time away per trip, but this varies by country. In New Zealand, for example, I think it's four months away, but the Australian offering is only three months. They're also quite good about insuring Old Farts - this is the AIG Australia site and as you can see they have a "Mature Travellers" option - https://quote.aig.com.au/travel/60000065/default.aspx

Liked

insurance

International Medical Insurance ----img.com offer nice package for a few weeks to a few months. Look them up on line. I have found their prices are good, and I'm happy to say, while I have used them often, I have never had to use their policy for an illness. But if you are far away from home and need a $25,000.00 ride to your hospital, it will happen if you are covered. Scraping up the jack when flat on your back, might prove to be a problem. It is a good investment if peace of mind is important to you as a traveling person of considerable age. I should also add I have no financial ties to this insurance group. Happily I have added to their profit, by using them for many trips and not ever needing their assistance.