Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help

Thread: No smoking venues from Feb 11

No smoking venues from Feb 11

Smoking Ban in bars and other entertainment venues from 11th February.

On Thursday Morning at Pattaya City Hall, Khun Niran, the Mayor of Pattaya along with his Senior Adviser, Khun Itipon chaired a meeting of Entertainment Venue Managers and Owners from around Pattaya to discuss new legislation which is about to come into force and previous legislation which City Hall must enforce. The main issue discussed in the meeting was a new law which is coming into force on 11th February. From this day Smoking is not permitted in public venues including bars, offices and markets. The maximum fine which can be imposed on individuals who are caught breaking this law is 2,000 Baht. The bar owners were told about this new law and how they must ensure it is enforced in their venues. The owners and managers were also reminded that regulations regarding music levels and industrial waste control are still applicable and checks will be made over the coming months to ensure that venues are adhering to these exisiting regulations

http://www.pattayacitynews.net/news_31_01_51.html

Now I'll have to find a new avatar :cyclopsani:

Forum's veteran
    Liked

about time...

this will be a huge success... no doubt like the law that requires all motor cycle riders to wear a helmet.
    I'm only a light drinker. When it's daylight I drink.

......actually i think it may well be a success - just as the helmet rule is in my view - yes of course some people still ignore that law, but having been myself caught twice without a helmet, the hassle of getting to the Police Station (without the bike!), paying the fine and then getting back to reclaim the bike is enough of a lesson for me to ensure my head is covered!

I expect a fine once or twice for smoking where you shouldn't will also deter the majority of smokers. I hope so anyway.

What is the law?

If the law just fines each customer and does not include a fine for the bar, what incentive does the bar have to enforce the law...other than the moral issue? If customers have a number to call the smoking police I am sure the door men will alert the bar when they soon learn who are those that will enforce it. Will it be the police? The thing with the helmet law is the inconvenience of traveling to the police station and then back to get something of value. Under the no-smoking law will they have a baht bus pull up and take offenders to the police station to pay the fine? I am not sure this will work unless the bars have an incentive (like losing their licenses).

Does anyone know how it is set to work?

How does a bar like ...

the Panaromic bar, where its classed over cover?