Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First visit to Thailand

First visit to Thailand

I will be visiting Thailand for the fist time this November. I have been reading the postings on this forum and found the information very helpful. But have a few Q to ask please?

1. Has anybody stayed at the Marina Inn Plaza hotel in Pattaya (Sunee Plaza) / What is it like to stay there?

2. I would like to visit bangkok for 2 nights? Then Koh Samui for 3 nights? Then Pattaya for 7 or more nights?
    is this enough time in each of them places?

3. How much are the boys to hire in Pattaya?

4. Best place to find nice looking boys 18 years and over?

5. Any recommendations on airlines to book with?

6. Is it best to change currency here in London before I travel or in thailand?

Many thanks in advance.

Some thoughts....

A lot of first-timers here lately.
    Here's some of my thoughts....

2. I would like to visit bangkok for 2 nights? Then Koh Samui for 3 nights? Then Pattaya for 7 or more nights?
    is this enough time in each of them places?

On your first trip I would reccomend giving Koh Samui a pass. I found it to be a bore and not very scenic. The gay nightlife is a bit on the light side also. I would spend th extra time in Bangkok and maybe due a side trip to Ayuthaya or somesuch.

GOODNESS! Do NOT change your currency overseas right now. The offshore rate is still about 8-10% less than the rate in Thailand due to currency controls.
    I would recommend using your ATM card to get cash in Thailand. Be sure to inform your bank before you go that you will be using your card overses!

Re: First visit to Thailand

[quote="blacktouch"]I will be visiting Thailand for the fist time this November.

First visit to Thailand

More thoughts

1. I would suggest the Lek Hotel in Pattaya 2nd Road. It is very popular and not expensive - about ┬г15 per night
    2. I agree with Kenc:stay an extra night in BKK and this will give you time to see the royal Palace which musn't miss, go on the river and perhaps visit the River Kwai. It will also give you more time to explore the nightlife.
    3. Boys in Pattaya are about 300B = ┬г5 bar(off) fee and 1000Baht up for the boy.
    4. You will have to look for yourself LOL
    5. Go from london via Dubai with Emirates (good service and value)
    6. I suggest Travellers cheques (sterling) initially - better exchange rate and then ATM Dont change money in UK
    HAVE A GREAT TIME YOU'LL LOVE IT!

Liked
    Thia airway is cheaper but Delta on taveloisty last night was giving a hell of a discount to Thailand
    All the Best!

Wes

Liked
    Quote Originally Posted by Wesley
    Delta on taveloisty last night was giving a hell of a discount to Thailand
    But Wes, he's originating in London. While Delta is certainly an international carrier and has other airline partners, they do not have a London/Bangkok route. Drfrost3's Emirates answer is the better one.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: First Time Questions

One-2-Go Airlines has reasonable rates, although their landings can be a little rough.

Liked
    Delta like British has connections all over the world, I fly delta out of Moscow often.

Wes
    All the Best!

Wes

Re: First visit to Thailand

Quote Originally Posted by blacktouch
    I will be visiting Thailand for the fist time this November. I have been reading the postings on this forum and found the information very helpful. But have a few Q to ask please?

2. I would like to visit bangkok for 2 nights? Then Koh Samui for 3 nights? Then Pattaya for 7 or more nights? is this enough time in each of them places?

5. Any recommendations on airlines to book with?

To answer the points above:

2. If you are coming for the 'gay experience' forget about Koh Samui - very small gay scene and comparatively expensive to stay and eat. OK to visit on another later trip to do the touristy things if you must.
    Suggest 3 or 4 nights in Bangkok, maybe a side trip to Chiang Mai for 3 nights and the rest of your time in Pattaya.

5. EVA Air flies direct from London as does THAI Air. Forget BA/Qantas who also fly direct - their service is appalling and if you are in economy there is little leg room to stretch out (and it's an 11 hour flight). Try Emirates via Dubai or Etihad via Abu Dhabi - both break up the journey into roughly equal legs of about 7 hours (but check the stopover times half way as these can in some cases be several hours, especially if your transit time is in the middle of the night).

The other alternative is to fly from London City to Amsterdam and then KLM to Bangkok - you can book a through ticket. Bonus with this option is you avoid the crowds and hassle at Heathrow/Gatwick.

6. Definitely bring sterling travellers cheques which can be changed at the many banks/bureau de change in Thailand. Avoid using your credit card to get cash - it is a very expensive way of funding your trip. Suggest you get about ┬г15 worth of Thai baht (about 1000 THB) to bring with you in small denominations (20's, 50's and 100's to pay tips etc until you can get to change your T/Cs - the exchange counters on arrival at the airport can sometimes have large queues, depending on what time of day you arrive).

As someone has already mentioned, make sure you inform your bank/credit card company, before you travel, about the dates you will be in Thailand to avoid the distinct possibility that a payment or withdrawal will be refused because it appears to be an 'unusal transaction' as far as they are concerned.

Re: First Time Questions

Quote Originally Posted by Dodger
    One-2-Go Airlines has reasonable rates, although their landings can be a little rough.
    Much as I enjoy a joke this is in very poor taste!!!!

Thank you all for the kind help and very useful information.
    After reading all your advice/comments, I think I may give Koh Samui a miss this trip,
    and do another time? Think its best to then do maybe Bangkok for 3 nights, Chiang Mai for 3
    nights, as read good write ups on it, then the rest of my time in Pattaya.
    Think I will fly with Emirates. Been checking their fairs, and they seem to be around ┬г498 return, with 2 connecting flights
    via Dubai and Hong Kong (with about 4 hours in total, between both connecting flights).

Many thanks again for all your help