Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice please about motorbike

Advice please about motorbike

BS and I have been discussing getting a motorbike. Could be very useful, but would appreciate advice on a couple of points from those in the know.

BS tells me he has license to drive motorbike, but how do i check? What does a Thai motorbike driving license look like?

Where do I get insurance, and how much is it likely to cost?

Any helpful advice much appreciated.

Liked

Buying a motorcycle

Not sure about your relationship with BS, but if you are new to this country and the "scene" why not rent a motorbike for him for a few months first. :cheers:

The bike would be his responsibility. Just don't sign any contracts yourself and if all works out well between you both, you could buy a bike later.

Prices vary, but if you shop around you should be able to rent one for between 2,000 and 3.000 baht per month. :geek:

Good Luck...
    Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana

Thanks BB.
    Yes, have thought about renting, that's not a problem, but the 2 questions are 1) how do i know if he has a driving license for motorbikes, and 2) where do i get insurance and how much is it likely to be?

Liked

motorcycle

I guess I assume to much. As far as seeing his license, you could ask to see it? It won't be the greenish card with the black strip on the back that he carries, it will be another business sized card with his picture. I know I know, it is all in Thai.

That is why I suggested going to a rental place. They would ask to see his license (and you could see it too) and they would provide the insurance.

If you buy from a dealer, they will provide the insurance.

3th party insurance for a motorcycle is cheap, maybe 1000 baht a year. But I would opt to upgrade so that medical expenses are covered.

I hope this helps....... a little.
    Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana

Re: motorcycle

DELETED

Deceased Member
    Liked
    Agree with John. As a long term bike rider in Pattaya 7 years now I seem to have done it all on a bike.
    First rent one for BS at rates quoted as a trial 2-3 mths. no insurance on hire you pay for everything and others claims in full. Dont leave Passport or ID cards with hirer copy only. Lock bike up at all times!!
    Ask to see his License. If not satisfied make him go to Chonburi/Pattaya office and get one like we all do, on motorway to Chonburi rear of/near Regents School is the office.
    As for Insurance (dont think comprehensive like westerners do at home not possible here) new bikes costing 30-45000 baht each will come with Insurance IF YOU ASK FOR IT 2500 BAHT for 2 years usually, pay out 80% if stolen in first year 60% in second year well worth it in Pattaya - not accident insurance.
    Accidents you pay for and include others costs as well no blame to be apportioned IT IS YOUR FAULT FOR BEING THERE so you pay as a Falang! Third Party claims against named rider only and Bail Bonds can be insured for 1200 baht per year. As long as you have NO alcohol or drugs in you!!
    Take out seperate cover for Gen. Medical Insurance which must include accidents on Bikes or its not worth paper, BUPA or AIA Thailand do it. Again NO alcohol or you pay.
    Tax on bikes is 100 baht and Govt. Insurance (worthless) is 380baht get at office where bike is taxed or agents.
    THEN YOU HAVE THE MAIN BATTLE will he or you wear a crash hat all the time!!! If not pay Police fines 200-1000 baht each and be a death waiting to happen. Drive slowly be aware!
    Then enjoy the freedom of the road even if every trip is a challenge and a dice with death at times easy in traffic get about quickly and no parking problems. Go out of Pattaya explore its wonderful out there.

Motorbike rental

If you, or anyone else, is planning on renting a motorbike then I would srongly advise you to go for one with insurance, at least for theft and preferably for accident damage as well. This will cost up to an extra 1,000 per month, which seems expensive but is much less than the 40,000 baht plus you could well end up paying for a new bike if (when?!) your rental is stolen. These are available from a number of hirers, including Mai Pang motorcycles (near Big C North Pattaya) and Street Machine (junction of Third Road and Soi Sophon cable).

Heed the advice on locking the bike, and use your own padlock (not one given you by the rentals) as some have been known to "steal" their own bikes! Motorbike theft, particularly of Waves and Mios, is now almost routine in Pattaya.

Can't imagine why they would steal the Yamaha Mios.. it's the smallest, most underpowered model on the road..
    Maybe they steal them to give to their girlfriends? LOL

Liked

OFF TOPIC ... sorry, couldn't help it

Nice gently erotic avatar by Gone Fishing.

Something about it . . .

Cheers ...
    Just another reason why I love living in Thailand

Yet more help please.

I fear this is going to turn into a bit of a saga. Thanks to everyone who helped so far, could i ask for more help please.

The story so far:
    Having used the information given here I have established that BS does not have licence. When i put my foot down and said "no licence, no bike" he told me he had to go home to N. Thailand for licence. Challenged this, and it turned out he wanted to go home to buy licence, not take test. Again, foot firmly down, and insisting that he take test.
    He laso dragged me along to shop to look at motorbikes, and proudly produced salesman who said "If have id card, no need licence to drive motorbike, so you can buy here" I strongly suspect this was not true, but just a ploy to make a sale.

So, help please with the following questions.
    1) Is the salesman right or wrong, does he need a licence for any bike?
    2) If he can get the licence at Chonburi, does it involve taking a practical driving test? If it does, how does he get motorbike from Pattaya to Chonburi without breaking law on needing licence?