Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help

Thread: A recent encounter...

Ask Expats is Useful

In February 2006 I was in a pub in Boyztown and a couple of expat friends, in reference to a barman, said that they didn't know what he was doing there. They said he was a good boy, bright, impeccably neat, and passionate about a future career in computers. At the time, he had been studying toward a high school equivalency diploma.

We hooked up and I offered to assist him with his ambition as after 2 weeks with him I was convinced that he was serious and would succeed with some social and financial support.

In the past year he has gained his high school diploma, completed several courses in English at AUA, has completed computer typing class, and is now taking courses in Microsoft Excel. He will continue on this year with intensive instruction in Network Administration.

He has left bar work and is determined not to return to Boyztown which he very much dislikes. Because of my personal values, I prefer that he work part-time while he takes classes, and he is currently working at a part-time job at a chain store. The managers of some businesses on Soi 3 are asking him to return to work there and he has declined. When I discovered this, I assured him that if he reached a point where he could not sustain both work and Network Administration courses that I would pick-up full financial responsibility.

He has a Toshiba laptop and will have a desktop computer in December - and other hardware and new software necessary to practice his new skills. All of this has cost me a pittance relative to my monthy budget. Several thousand baht a month plus electronic equipment.

He spoke English well when I met him. He stated much as your boy that he could speak English fairly well but had difficulty understanding the speech of many farang, and his writing was weak.

His AUA studies primarily helped with English vocabulary, social support of other Thai trying to improve their English, and regular conversational practice.

His writing improved more through weekly emails back and forth with me and other punter friends. And, it has improved a good bit as a result of the English typing classes. I tried to get him to talk to the staff at AUA about composition classes as I don't see the point in going all the way through level 16 if it doesn't get him where he needs to be for his career goals.

I was very much impressed with his accomplishments as during my last visit to Pattaya I discovered that he now understands almost everything said to him in English - and clearly. Some farang we met, including expat businessmen, asked him to do interpretation for them.

Once he enters employment on his new career path he will help me select another young man to work with who is serious about a future outside of Boyztown. I have found that over the years these young men become very good friends who are more financially stable and a comfort to me as I prepare to move to Pattaya in senior life.

Very noble

All credit to both of you. Kind hearted and positive thinkers both of you jaafarabutarab & stargaze. :cheers:

Forum's veteran
    Liked

We tend to ..

We tend to play up the negatives on this forum, especially when the topic is money-boys, bar-boys and
    financial assistance. It was a pleasure to read positive experiences.

I assisted my first Thai friend get his high school equivalency degree. It was a two year program and even
    thou we split up after the first year, he continued on his own and finished the program and got his H.S. degree
    which opened doors for him besides those of a boy bar.

We are still friendly and I declined his offer of going to university at my expense but he landed a good job
    and is doing well and I am glad to have given something back and actually helping someone.... :cat:

Forum's veteran
    Liked

I met a gay Thai policeman

in Bangkok last year in a gay dive..he had a better car than me and drove me back to Pattaya. He was an undercover cop looking for yabba sellers and looked just like a bar boy.

I didn't believe anything he said until we were stopped just outside Pattaya for one of those "spot checks" where you get a 200 baht fine for nothing . He jumped out and flashed some sort of card and every policeman jumped to attention and saluted and then ushered us through the traffic.

I behaved myself for 2 weeks. He wouldn't let me pay for a thing.
    I'm only a light drinker. When it's daylight I drink.

passport please

Comming thru Bangkok Airport about 2 years ago. I got to the Immigration desk and as normal the looking at form and passport. Then the officer looked up and said " i see you stay at the Ambience - do you have car to go there"
    I told him no and that i would get a taxi from the Arrivals hall. He told me he was just finishing and he would take me to Pattaya in his car and i was to stay as his home as his guest.
    The guy was about 50 yo so i just said no thanks but i have a boyfriend waiting for me. Oh dear he said--- have a good holiday. I had no boyfriend but i do like the guys a little younger than he was PHEWWW. :albino: