Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Only Higher Authorities Can Tell Me to Go

Only Higher Authorities Can Tell Me to Go

Can you believe this? He will only answer to higher authorities. The people, public opinion, even a growing chorus of members of his own party cannot make him leave.

It's time we start wondering what things will be like post-Thaksin. It could be much worse. Is Mr. P. still around or is he finally just enjoying the good life in NZ?

Only King can tell me to leave: Thaskin

Published on Feb 04 , 2006

Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra said on Saturday that he will not quit as long as His Majesty the King does not tell him to go.

"The only person who can tell me to quit is His Majesty the King. If His Majesty whispers to me that 'Thaksin please leave,' I'll go," Thasin said during his weekly radio programme Saturday morning.

During the programme, he reiterated that he has done nothing wrong regarding the sale of Shin Corp shares.

He said he was confident that most Thais still wanted him to remain in the office.

He said he was confident that most Thais still wanted him to remain in the office.
    Yeh, most Thai wanted him when they ( 19 millions ) elected him. But I am not sure whether they want him now.

Well, justlike the American people, they've got to live with their mistake and wait until the next election, don't they?

It shouldn't be TOO difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by boygeenyus
    Well, just like the American people, they've got to live with their mistake and wait until the next election, don't they?
    I am not sure. Unlike us poor American slobs who have difficult to apply options (the next election, impeachment, forced resignation by public opinion), Thaksin is a parliamentary PM, and the government should be able to force him out, which would possibly just lead to a similar PM from his own party. I would expect the Thai gov't to be more like the British system where we hear of "no confidence" votes leading to the demise of politicians

Of course then in Thailand there is the possibility that the royal head could ask him to go, for which he would certainly be compelled to comply with, and "other options". But I would think that things should be done democratically, in interest of developing democracy here as opposed to prolonging the old order, as Thaksin himself has done with his disgraceful disregard for the constitution and dismantling of anti-corruption governance in Thailand. It shouldn't be TOO difficult.

elephantspike
    'Those 19 million voters don't know anything about politics,' said Phuwadol. 'In Thailand, governments are elected by the people in the provinces and overthrown by the people in Bangkok.'
    from

M&C News

The latest:

From ABC News

Re: It shouldn't be TOO difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by ArNolD
    Well, just like the American people, they've got to live with their mistake and wait until the next election, don't they?
    I am not sure. Unlike us poor American slobs who have difficult to apply options (the next election, impeachment, forced resignation by public opinion), Thaksin is a parliamentary PM, and the government should be able to force him out, which would possibly just lead to a similar PM from his own party. I would expect the Thai gov't to be more like the British system where we hear of "no confidence" votes leading to the demise of politicians
    I think you mean parliament "should be able to force him out". Essentially a no-confidence vote in a parliament against the prime minister could be equated to a successful impeachment motion against a president in the US Congress. And before the nit-pickers start, yes, there are significant differences but the concept is the same

So Thaksin's responded to a bunch of academics calling on him to resign just as Bush would do: he told them to get lost. He's been elected democratically, and he has to be removed democratically. That's how democracy works, girls. And a hundred thousand or a million people in Sanam Luang does not mean that he has lost the mandate of the majority of the Thai people. We'll see at next election...and I'll bet the country bumpkins still like him. Comparisons to the US are inevitable.

...and I'll bet the country bumpkins still like him.
    That will depend on how much vote-buying goes on

Even the bumpkins aren't foolish enough to vote for someone they don't like, even if they've given them a few hundred baht. Give them some credit...

You people should really worry about your "disgraceful America".
    You have people begging on the streets,people living in cardboard boxes,people living in squalor and filth in the Bronx.You couldnt even help yourselfs during the Hurricane.Many Aussie tourists had to call Australia TV channels to fly them out.We here also have had adverts on TV collecting for Hurricane Katrina,what a joke? Giving money to America?
    Yes yes heres my $2.00 for America.We also saw your third world country on TV with many black people dying in that hurricane and no medical aid for days.Geez I would hate to see what would happen if a terrorists strike happened again.Shame on you for letting those people die.Your country worries about everyone else except their own people.How about instead of pouring billons of dollars in aid to Africa you put it in your own country.It took Sydneys channel 7 TV Station to fly their own helicopter looking for Aussies to get them out.I watched as people bashed each other for food and elderly people lay on the streets.
    Doesnt your Govt care? You pay all those taxes and your Govt gives it away to the rest of the world.Unfortanetely our current Aussie Prime Minister Little Johnny Howard is in bed with pussy Bush.The PM of Australia from 1990 to 1995 Paul KeATING hated America and i can see why.You people dont even help your war veterans,they are also begging on the streets,why bother fighting for America if when u come back they forget about you.Shame on all of you,