Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stupid Question re: Flying

Liked

Stupid Question re: Flying

Hi All
    I'm due to fly to LOS on Friday
    Its been 7 months since my last trip and the airline rules have changed considerably since then.
    I have a list of things that i usually bring with me in my carry on luggage.
    (bear in mind that i have to fly Dublin-Paris-Bangkok
    and that I'm a very fussy eater - so i like to bring some food with me to keep me going!)

Is there any of these that i am now no longer allowed to bring in my carry on luggage?
    -MP3 Player Headphones
    -Spare AAA battery
    -Mobile Phone
    -Digital camera (accessories in suitcase)
    -Small tube of hand cream
    -Lip Balm
    -Ear plugs and eye mask
    -Mini-toothbrush kit
    -Some Strepsils
    -Some Paracetamol
    -Some Antihistamine (makes me sleepy)
    -Some small bread rolls
    -Some cheddar cheese
    -6 Pack of individually wrapped Biscuits
    -Small Packet or 2 of crisps (chips to you americans!)

BF has a computer now - so i won't bring my laptop (would i be allowed to carry it onboard if i wanted to?)

I also usually have 500ML of water with me - but i presume i'll have to buy that (at exhorbitant price!) inside the security check area now?

I know it a seems like a stupid question - but i don't want to:
    Have to leave my Mp3 player, new cam or mobile at some stupid x-ray machine!
    And I don't want to starve when air france hand me a mouldy dinner only fit for the bin!

Buffalo me die! Send Money!

Liked

You're okay

Not sure about the YUK, but you're okay for US standards. You're correct about the water - no liquids (pop, water, etc.) but you can buy those between security and the gate and take them onboard.
    No problem with the electronic devices (but, for the first time, I was told on two different airlines that I wasn't allowed to operate my digital camera during the flight - either to take photos out the window or to simply review photos on the lcd screen - because it was an "electronic device." I cheated a bit on that order (if my camera screws up the avionics or communications on an airplane, I sure as hell don't want to fly on it!).

Liked: 1
    US, UK and continental European regulations were all different when I was traveling several months ago. UK (esp. Heathrow) and US airports were the strictest, but not necessarily about the same things. The regulations have since changed again.

Current regulations still seem focussed on fluids / creams / gels. Restrictions on electronic devices seem to have been removed.

What I did at the time was print out the regulations from each airlines' website. If necessary I also checked the airport web sites themselves. It was a pain in the ass but at least I knew where I stood.

Dublin looks to be less strict that Heathrow. Good to see that you can't carry a catapult on board out of Dublin ....
    Dublin Secrity Info
    Heathrow Security Info

Not sure about Paris. Haven't been through CDG for a while.

Liked

Hi Colm,

British Airways have a useful FAQ site here.
    London airports are the toughest and their rules apply to any flights via London. So if you comply with those you should be safe whichever your route through Europe. The link addresses many of your questions.
    Do heed the carry on bag size restrictions.
    Enjoy your holiday.
    Dick

If your flight went over a country like Pakistan, as do very many flights to Bangkok from Europe.
    Then you are forbidden to take areal photography. The crews will just give this warning once.

Make sure all fluids are 3 oz size or smaller and all in a quart sized ziplock bag
    (the same bags used by dope pushers) which must be visible to the Homeland Secirity in the USA.
    Not a black plastic bag. Not a gallon sized bag. Out and visible.

Can I carry a leatherman tool in my luggage? Why is this message two feet wide?

Liked: 1
    This thread is two feet wide because of the British Airport Authority's attempt at the record for the world's longest URL in my post above. I think they get the record.

Liked
    Hi Guys
    Thanks for the input!

All packed up now and killing time till its time to sleep!

Luckily I have the Company of Kazakstans Borat to pass away the next 1.5 hours! :albino:

See ya all in Thailand!

Liked

follow up

To follow up on my last post:

On the way home from BKK, 2 weeks ago I bought a litre of Johnny Black in Bkk airport Duty ...

Brought it on Board My flight and flew to Paris no problems...

In CDG before boarding my flight to Dublin my bottle was confiscated - according to the French security staff one may only fly on an inter-EU flight with Duty free purchased in the EU...

So beware next timen on your flights home...

I'm sure the nasty piece of work who stole my whiskey is enjoying it!

Also i notice that its possible to take water through the security checkpoints in Suvarnabhumi - make sure you do as theres none for sale inside teh checkpoints!

I nearly died of thirst waiting for a drink from the lazy Air france cabin crew.

Next time I'm def flying with SAS - AF make Lufthansa seem nice :compress:

Liked

follow up

To follow up on my last post:

On the way home from BKK, 2 weeks ago I bought a litre of Johnny Black in Bkk airport Duty ...

Brought it on Board My flight and flew to Paris no problems...

In CDG before boarding my flight to Dublin my bottle was confiscated - according to the French security staff one may only fly on an inter-EU flight with Duty free purchased in the EU...

So beware next timen on your flights home...

I'm sure the nasty piece of work who stole my whiskey is enjoying it!

Also i notice that its possible to take water through the security checkpoints in Suvarnabhumi - make sure you do as theres none for sale inside teh checkpoints!

I nearly died of thirst waiting for a drink from the lazy Air france cabin crew.

Next time I'm def flying with SAS - AF make Lufthansa seem nice :compress: