Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2007 holidays

2007 holidays

Can anyone confirm the dates for Songkran (I assume the weekend of 14 April) and the start of Buddhist Lent for next year?

Liked

Re: 2007 holidays

Quote Originally Posted by Nelson
    Can anyone confirm the dates for Songkran (I assume the weekend of 14 April) and the start of Buddhist Lent for next year?
    http://thailandforvisitors.com/general/ ... index.html (looks like April 13 thru 16 for Songkran and June 30 thru July 2 for Buddhist Lent)

Cheers ...
    Just another reason why I love living in Thailand

Those two dates ...

... are definitely dates to avoid Thailand

Liked

Smiles

I looked up on goggle the dates for water festival, I will arrive one week after it all begins. Hope all the water is finished by the the 20th of April. I understand it is really warm around that time of the year. I like it warm. Will see if I have chosen my own poison and find it too warm at that time of the year.

holidays to avoid

Thanks. I have every intention of avoiding these periods.

Liked

songkran

April 18th is Songkran Day in Naklua - every year
    April 19th is Songkran Day in Pattaya/Jomtien - Every Year
    April 20th is Songkran day in Rayong - every year
    These dates never change

For at least a week before the 18th you can expect to have people "playing water" on the streets

On most days the water will be put away once dusk comes... except on the 18th when it becomes an all day affair into the 19th... my BF always stays going for all 48 hours during this period - no rest!

I can't understand why farang seem to hate Songkran so much... if only they would relax and try to have fun instead of being so miserable they would enjoy themselves...

So it looks like Bing will arrive the day after all the Fun has ended!
    Buffalo me die! Send Money!

Re: songkran

Quote Originally Posted by colmx
    ... April 19th is Songkran Day in Pattaya/Jomtien - Every Year

For at least a week before the 18th you can expect to have people "playing water" on the streets ... I can't understand why farang seem to hate Songkran so much... if only they would relax and try to have fun instead of being so miserable they would enjoy themselves...

So it looks like Bing will arrive the day after all the Fun has ended!
    I don't think Farangs hate it when they first encounter Songkran. For the first day, second and third days, getting sprayed with water guns and building through the week or so to getting buckets of water thrown over you and talcum powder rubbed in your hair, face and clothes is actually a bit of a giggle. It's when it's happened for 4, 5, 6 and then 7 days that it gets a little repetitive. I did pity tourists who arrived as Songkran started and had a weeks holiday getting doused everyday. :geek:

I think you have made a wise decision Bing. :cheers:

Yes I agree with fatman41, I :love5: Songran especially up in Chiang Mai. On the day, go out and have fun, get wet and party, however it gets a bit much in the days leading up and the days after when people are still throwing or shooting your mouth full. The secret is to just go in for that one day and then head out into the country-side or perhaps the beach. Out in the country-side they are much more civil and will usually just splash your feet or arms whatever, all in a nice relaxed and cute way, and it is mostly little kids having innocent fun. :fish: :fish: :fish: :occasion7:

Songkran

Agreed; it is Pattaya's version of Songkran I now avoid. I think it was the bucket of iced-water thrown into my baht bus while travelling at 30 mph (quite a feat) a few years ago that made my mind up for me. My Thai friend, on the other hand, travels north to see Pa and Ma and engages, like any dutiful Thai son, in the appropriate rituals.

I liked Songkran the first time I visited Pattaya at that time of year. I even hired a pickup (with driver) and went to Rayong with loads of boys & ladyboys, on the Rayong Songkran day. Quite a scream (literally) and very enjoyable. All people participated voluntarily.

The one thing I grew to hate after a few visits is being repeatedly soaked, day after day, when walking down the street or in Baht buses on the way to the shops, malls or cinema, which (and I don't really need to point out this I guess, but I will, with capitals and an exclamation mark for dramatic effect) are all equipped with AIR CONDITIONING!

If the Thais respected the fact they should only be doing it on one day, that day would be great fun for all. As it is, is it a total pain. We farang are targeted constantly.

For those that say I (and others like me) are poor sports or moany old farangs should try the the aircon assisted "cooling by evaporation" technique for themselves a few times first. I expect their attitude would waiver somewhat.

Personally, I don't think that a few seconds of fun for some Thai brats is ample reward in life for having to freeze my bits off for hours. They can stick their "Mai Pen Rai" right up their.... well, you get the idea.

Moan over.

9 days to go to a Songkran-free Thailand holiday. Bring it on...

Siteef
    England