Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: is gay pattaya all host bars

Liked

is gay pattaya all host bars

This was posted on trip adviser this morning
    https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/ShowT..._Province.html

today, 4:34

Hi Thailand experts.
    Thanks in advance for any advice on this. In early planning stages ofThailand/Cambodia trip for Nov, and TA has been an amazing help. Was hoping to do usual first-time itinerary of Bangkok/C Mai/popular island (with this part at beginning for 3/4 nights), but we might be restricted to 10 nights in Thailand, so might have to drop island part. As Pattaya is so close to Bangkok, and has direct flights to C Mai, I was thinking it’d be good alternative for 3 nights (Koh Samet wouldn't work, as couldn't face the 2.5-hour trek after long flights to Bangkok, and the flights from Pattaya to C Mai are very early in morning so need to be based there) – just book nice hotel with pool, but we’d like good nightlife.
    We’ve seen the ‘Ladyboys’ TV show a zillion times, and though it shows the sleazy side, it also makes the city look like serious fun, and we want to see the Tiffany's show. However, just doing quick check of the gay scene there, every single bar in all three locations (Boyztown, Jomtien and Sunnee Plaza) seems to be one of these ‘host’ bars, where you’re hassled to buy more than a drink. Is that right? We have no problem with these bars at all, but we wouldn't be the clientele they're looking for. Surely there must be a few casual gay bars, no?
    If anyone has been there, or heard from someone who’s been on scene there, or even passed by the bars there to get overall idea, I’d be grateful for any advice. We’re an easygoing couple in mid 30s/mid 40s. We’re going to fill rest of the trip with as much sightseeing as possible, but for these few ‘relaxing days’ we’d like to be able to experience the scene in Thailand, as in having a few drinks in fun bars playing cheesy music/drag shows, but don’t want to be hassled constantly, or surrounded by old men who are looking to be hassled.
    Be great to get advice, so can knock Pattaya off my mind if it is truely like this. If it is all hassle, I’ll aim to add more days to trip and fly intoPhuket at start for 4/5 days (where there seems to be a mix of casual and host bars).
    Thanks again.

Wombat : an Australian marsupial that eats,roots and leaves

Liked

Re: is gay pattaya all host bars

There are bars in Boystown, like Panorama and Oscars, where you can have a drink without hassle and watch the gay world go by. Jomtien is worth a look too. Pattaya is well worth a visit and is more gay than Chiang Mai.

Liked

The Wombat is only doing a cut and paste from a topic on tripadvisor.com. Not sure why he didn't just answer the question directly on that forum rather than paste it here?

4. User who gave Like to post:

christianpfc (April 24th, 2016)

Liked

Exactly Francois. Any replies posted here will not be read by the person who asked the question. Wombat gets stranger by the month.

6. User who gave Like to post:

christianpfc (April 24th, 2016)

Liked

Surely LW is just inviting the views of SGT readers on a subject which has been raised elsewhere - rather than trying to answer the OP?

I don't see anything wrong with that.

Liked

This was posted by, whom I assume to be lonelywombat on tripadvisor (Australia)

540trevora

1. Re: Is gay Pattaya really all 'host' bars?

today, 11:59
    I posted your request to sawatdeegaythailand where there is an active gay following

sawatdeenetwork.com/v4/showthread.php…

Banned
    Liked

A rhetorical question, right?

Liked

Apparently not a rhetorical question. From some correspondence between Wombat and I, it seems clear that he is asking for serious responses to the question raised on the tripadvisor.com forum. Thus the response by Mancs is likely welcomed.

As for my experience, I cannot think of any bars that would fit the description of casual gay bars where there would be a complete absence of available "boys". Nonetheless, I have rarely been hassled to buy more than a drink at beer bars. It would seem to me that the persons posing this question on tripadvisor.com are a bit too uptight.
    Last edited by francois; April 25th, 2016 at 11:33.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post
    ...I cannot think of any bars that would fit the description of casual gay bars where there would be a complete absence of available "boys".
    Which is EXACTLY the reason for going to Pattaya!!

12. User who gave Like to post:

francois (April 25th, 2016)

Liked

Well, on further thought, in Boyztown there is Cafe Royal where one can enjoy a drink and watch activities on the soi and hassle free. And, also, as reported there is Panorama plus the new Castro. In Sunee Plaza there is Ouds Beer Bar, All of Me and Sky Bar where one can relax and enjoy a drink and conversation. Not that familiar with Jomtien but the Venue should fit their style of "fun" bar or possibly Dick's Cafe. Fact is this pair seem like two, youngish prudes who don't want to be hassled by young Thai guys and don't want to be surrounded by old, white men.
    Last edited by francois; April 25th, 2016 at 14:11.