Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help

Thread: international driving permit

Liked

international driving permit

My Thai friend is coming over to the States to stay with me for two months. I want him to get an International Driving Permit. According to my states DMV, his Thai license and the IDP will allow him
    to officially drive while here in the US.

Question, any one know where he can get the IDP in Thailand?

My reading says that he needs to get this in Thailand before he comes to US.

I know when I got mine, I was able to do it at the AAA for low cost.

Is there is something like a Thailand Automobile Association, similar to the AAA here in the US.

Thanks for any advice.

Don

Liked

Re: international driving permit

In Thailand, supposedly the Department of Land Transport is the government agency that issues international driving permits.

In the US, AAA is one of the two outfits authorized by the US State Department to issue the international driving permits.

Liked

Last time I checked getting an IDP was not automatic and additional tests had to be taken before it was issued - may have changed now but that was the case a few years ago.
    There are only 10 types of people in this world, those that understand binary and those that don't.

Unless they have recently changed the rules, he needs to have held his Thai drivers licence for over one year. He can get an International license without taking any tests by producing his current license and paying the fee required at the issuing office of Land Transportation.

Liked: 1

I know they have AA places here in the USA but I didnt know they did driving stuff too. Besides we dont need any more drubk drives, we have enough already.

Not all Thailand Land Transport Offices provide International Driving Permits (IDP). The Banglamung Land Transport Office issues Thai driving licenses, but does not issue IDPs - this web page http://www.pattayacityexpatsclub.com...0vehicles.html provides information on getting a Thai Driving License as well as information on getting an IDP either in Thailand (for Thai licensed drivers to use when driving in other countries) or in other countries for use in Thailand with their home country/state license. It is my understanding that you cannot get an IDP in Thailand if you are using the first "one year" Thai driving license.

On the page linked above, you can select IDPs and go to a page that describes IDPs and has links at the bottom for getting information on where it get an IDP in Bangkok and what is needed (it also notes that you can get an IDP at the Chonburi Land Transport Office in Chonburi city, but has no details). Recently, information was received on what is required to get an IDP in Chonburi as well as directions to the Chonburi Land Transport Office. This information is available on this web page http://www.pattayacityexpatsclub.com...nts_7_5_10.pdf - just click on the IDP topic in the contents to get to the page with the information.

Quote Originally Posted by billy2bs
    I know they have AA places here in the USA but I didnt know they did driving stuff too. Besides we dont need any more drubk drives, we have enough already.

Drunk and incapable whilst in charge of a keyboard?

:laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3: