Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast

Thread: A future for Soi Pratuchai?

Liked

Re: A future for Soi Pratuchai?

What’s in a name, eh?

Before I started reading or posting on this forum, I had never heard or seen the soi referred to as Soi Twilight. It is difficult for me to imagine now, but many years ago when I used to travel up to Bangkok from Hua Hin, to spend a few nights going to the go-go bars, I always seemed to have trouble locating the soi. I therefore asked some of the vendors at, or near, the entrance to the soi to let me know its name. I was told it is called, soi bprà-dtuu chai. I was then able to quote it when getting a taxi directly to the soi, or if I had found myself lost and unable to locate the bars, I could ask someone for help.

So, when I began posting trip reports, go-go bar or massage parlour reviews relating to ‘Soi Twilight’, I have more often than not referred to this soi as the following: "soi bprà-dtuu chai (AKA Soi Twilight)" or shortened to, "‘Soi Twilight’" depending on the context of my report and to indicate this was not its correct name, mainly for the benefit of new readers who had yet to visit the soi.

I even kept a few business cards from some of the bars and massage joints and they refer to it as follows:

Future Boys
    soi pratoochai surawong Rd

X Size Club
    Soi Pratuchai Surawong Rd

Bonny Massage
    Soi Pratuchai (Boytown), Surawong Rd

S go go boys
    Soi Pratuchai Surawong Rd.,

The Boys Bangkok
    Duangthawee Plaza Bang Rak Bangkok

Dick’s Café Bangkok
    Duangthawee Plaza, Soi Pratoochai

Liked

So if this soi has a name for many years, if taxi drivers know how to find it, why does google maps not show this soi?

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Never mind. By the time posters complete the interrogation of each other regarding the name of this soi, the soi will have become a hotel or office block and the casual observer will no longer be able to discern where the soi once existed.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by fountainhall View Post

More resent listings certainly include Pratuchai. So I will now consign Duangthawee to posting history!
    Well done fountainhall but why not revert even further and call it Soi Twilight as most locals do?

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Patanawet View Post
    . . . why not revert even further and call it Soi Twilight as most locals do?
    Perhaps if you had actually been reading the thread, you would have known that this is precisely what I have done for decades!! It was merely a surprise to hear it mentioned as Pratuchai - hence the recent dialogue. My post #5 on page 1 surely could not have been clearer?

The announcement is interesting because at least two of the Boards have had recent threads re how Soi Twlight (as it is often called after the original Twilight gogo bar) can continue given the substantial reduction of western visitors looking to off boys and the increase in Chinese and other Asians only interested in just one drink and seeing the shows . . . Soi Twilight's decline comes as Silom Soi 4 thrives.
    Last edited by fountainhall; March 10th, 2017 at 13:01.

Banned
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by AsDaRa View Post
    So if this soi has a name for many years, if taxi drivers know how to find it, why does google maps not show this soi?
    Indeed. And why does Google Maps show Silom 5 as a dead end when it is not? The Google maps satellite view does show that you can walk from Surawong through to Rama 4 via an unnamed laneway, and it even shows some of the businesses along the way such as Dick's Cafe. Possibly Google has it classified as an alley (trok) rather than a side street (soi). As for taxi drivers knowing the location of brothels - 'nuff said.

7. User who gave Like to post:

fountainhall (March 10th, 2017)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

I assume there must be different versions of google maps. Mine clearly shows the soi and even more establishments - but not Dick's nor Classic Boys and Hotmale. It also calls the soi Decho!!!

Soi_Twlight_Google_Map.jpg

9. 2 Users gave Like to post:

splinter1949 (March 10th, 2017), Tintin (March 11th, 2017)

Banned
    Liked

I assume there must be different versions of google maps.
    I'm using the Web version https://www.google.co.th/maps?hl=en

Liked

Fountainhall, that map is obviously well out of date.

Liked

The web version and the iOS version of Google Maps doesn't have it. Mr. Fountainhall makes a mistake. He uses Apple maps version.