Everything Else
FAQ & Help

Thread: Balloon Chasers

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Liked

Re: Balloon Chasers

Francois wrote:
    "Why do you say that Arsenal? The term Barmy Army was used by LMTU (let me tell you) to disparage those who he hated. The same as others here are now using that term.

Is there something wrong with a group of guys wanting to gather for an informal meal once a week to socialize and converse? The meatloaf dinner is inexpensive, the drinks are inexpensive and the boys are cute, what more is there to ask for? No one hates anyone, the only hatred seems to be coming from without. "

You're quite wrong on all accounts here Francois and I speak as someone with a Sunee history going back over 12 years. The Barmy Army is a term they themselves use and in itself is not at all disparaging. And if you think that a largish group of retired expats all love each other to bits then a quick refresher in human nature is very much in order. Besides which their use is not original as it was a football chant in the 80s. Perhaps you're a member?
    Last edited by arsenal; January 8th, 2017 at 17:48.

Liked

Talk about bad luck: I can not recall a bar in Thailand serving free food including the two years I worked there.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by arsenal View Post
    And if you think that a largish group of retired expats all love each other to bits then a quick refresher in human nature is very much in order. Besides which their use is not original as it was a football chant in the 80s. Perhaps you're a member?
    By 'largish' are you referring to their numbers or body size? I've never had it but I heard that meatloaf is very fattening.

I never knew about this balloon chasing thing but I guess you'd have to be in a small community for people to notice it. I understand that the chasers are drawn to the free food but even if they go as a one-off, would they still be paying for drinks or expected to buy a product on offer?

Although it's kinda tacky I suppose the chaser is really not doing anything wrong as the food and event have been budgeted for to promote whatever. I don't see any real harm unless one can show that balloon chasers are bad for business by precluding genuine customers.

Liked

Sglad wrote:
    "By 'largish' are you referring to their numbers or body size? I've never had it but I heard that meatloaf is very fattening."

Well I meant numbers. And a well made meat loaf shouldn't be particularly fattening. Lean meat (beef or pork) an egg or two and a handful of breadcrumbs with some onion and flavourings. Garlic, Worcestershire sauce, horseradish, ketchup, mustard etc. Make a lovely mushroom sauce to go with it and of course some smooth and creamy mashed potatoes. Now I want some.

And.
    "I never knew about this balloon chasing thing but I guess you'd have to be in a small community for people to notice it. I understand that the chasers are drawn to the free food but even if they go as a one-off, would they still be paying for drinks or expected to buy a product on offer?
    Although it's kinda tacky I suppose the chaser is really not doing anything wrong as the food and event have been budgeted for to promote whatever. I don't see any real harm unless one can show that balloon chasers are bad for business by precluding genuine customers."

Then we agree pretty much. Doing nothing wrong but yes. kinda tacky. Especially when you consider how little a really nice meal can be had for in Pattaya.

5. User who gave Like to post:

fountainhall (January 8th, 2017)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by arsenal View Post
    Francois wrote:
    "Why do you say that Arsenal? The term Barmy Army was used by LMTU (let me tell you) to disparage those who he hated. The same as others here are now using that term.

Is there something wrong with a group of guys wanting to gather for an informal meal once a week to socialize and converse? The meatloaf dinner is inexpensive, the drinks are inexpensive and the boys are cute, what more is there to ask for? No one hates anyone, the only hatred seems to be coming from without. "

You're quite wrong on all accounts here Francois and I speak as someone with a Sunee history going back over 12 years. The Barmy Army is a term they themselves use and in itself is not at all disparaging. And if you think that a largish group of retired expats all love each other to bits then a quick refresher in human nature is very much in order. Besides which their use is not original as it was a football chant in the 80s. Perhaps you're a member?
    I have been visiting Pattaya for past 17 years and know what I am speaking of.
    LMTU was the one who first applied the Barmy Army term to disparage those he saw as his inferiors. Or, more likely, because he was not part of their social circle. Just his way of putting down others. Yes, I was a member of that social group and still am friends with those who now live and visit in Pattaya. About the only thing they hate is cigarette smoke, not each other.

Forum's veteran Manforallseasons's Avatar
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post
    LMTU was the one who first applied the Barmy Army term to disparage those he saw as his inferiors. Or, more likely, because he was not part of their social circle.
    Trust me, it was the latter!