FAQ & Help

Thread: Where is everyone?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: Where is everyone?

Quote Originally Posted by AsDaRa View Post
    The problem with this and the other boards is that it isn't friendly to new posters.
    I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of new posters are accused of being a troll within the first 2 weeks of their posting here . . . I would say give new posters a few weeks time, after a few weeks it should be clear if someone is a troll or not. Don't start accusations in the first few posts . . .
    I don't believe the first part is true, but agree with the second part. I first started posting on gaythailand more than 10 years ago. I read the forum for a few months before I summoned up the courage to post. There was not much backbiting on that board at that time but I was never sure how new posters would be received.

But I also think we have to be realistic that forums like this, gaybuttonthai and gaythailand are essentially vehicles where older westerners give their views on topics of interest to an older age group. Unfortunately this means there are few if any non-westerners becoming members. I believe gaythailand has two, one who posts he is around 55 and I believe the other is a bit younger - and wish this forum had some. But we need to be realistic to a certain extent. How likely is it that any mid-20s post-graduate student allegedly from Singapore is likely to be interested in becoming a regular contributor on any of the three Boards? Perhaps an occasional post to find out something about the gay scene, but as a regular poster? I don't believe I have heard of any in the last 11 years (other than Beachlover who was a troll par excellence who pulled the wool over moderators' eyes for far too long)! In any case, there is a Singapore-based chat room with vastly more members and threads that include extensive information about Thailand and all parts of Asia.

And as a final note, I am not breaking any Board rule when I say I wrote to sglad early on in his correspondence to inform him I'd be in Chiang Mai and would happily meet him to show him around. Since it was a PM I can not reveal what he replied. But no meeting - not even for a quick coffee or drink - took place. That of course proves nothing - but suggests a great deal! After all, Beachlover also turned down every offer to meet up, even for a free dinner with Michael who owned gaythailand at that time.
    Last edited by fountainhall; February 18th, 2017 at 13:45.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by fountainhall View Post
    But we need to be realistic to a certain extent. How likely is it that any mid-20s post-graduate student allegedly from Singapore is likely to be interested in becoming a regular contributor on any of the three Boards? .
    In general I would say it isn't that unlikely to be in your twenties and have the desire to pay Thai boys for sex. Not every 20-something year old from Europe (or Singapore in this case) looks attractive, or can easily get the type they want for free. Why wouldn't they use these boards to find out about the go go bars etc? I have seen Farang in their twenties in Soi Twilight last year.

If he was not from Singapore, but from Europe, it would make it unlikely for me for one reason only: most students don't have the money to travel each year to Thailand for sex. So that is why it is unlikely many of them are a member of a sex tourist forum. They don't have yet the means to be a sex tourist. So indeed if a 20 year old European student becomes then a member that is reason for some suspecion.

But in the case of an exchange student from Singapore? Not sure what to think.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by fountainhall View Post
    ...In any case, there is a Singapore-based chat room with vastly more members and threads that include extensive information about Thailand and all parts of Asia...

And as a final note, I am not breaking any Board rule when I say I wrote to sglad early on in his correspondence to inform him I'd be in Chiang Mai and would happily meet him to show him around. Since it was a PM I can not reveal what he replied. But no meeting - not even for a quick coffee or drink - took place. That of course proves nothing - but suggests a great deal! After all, Beachlover also turned down every offer to meet up, even for a free dinner with Michael who owned gaythailand at that time.
    I don't find any of the forums repetitive or boring. I don't post much but I enjoy reading the forums and thank all who contribute. If I see something I don't like, I simply move on.

Fountainhall, could you tell us more about these Singapore-based forums with "extensive information about Thailand and all parts of Asia"? A few links would be helpful. They might be useful to us too if not directly relevant. More information is always good, especially from the perspective of Asians which I find seriously lacking. Asians speaking for themselves.

I enjoyed reading sglad's posts but I think it's bad manners for him to stand Fountainhall up like that particularly as Fountainhall had gone all the way up to Chiang Mai to show him around. Quite disappointing.