Quick navigation:
List of forums
Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help

View Poll Results: Go-Go Bars around 1997 were more popular/successful because (select as many as you believe applicabl

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • There were more bars and therefore greater variety of choice

4 17.39%
  • They were more fun

12 52.17%
  • The boys on stage were more engaged in giving patrons a good time

11 47.83%
  • There was a better selection of boys

12 52.17%
  • Shows were generally more interesting/sexy

4 17.39%
  • Shows were MUCH more interesting/sexy

12 52.17%
  • Mamasans were less pushy/obnoxious

6 26.09%
  • I usually left feeling I had had a good time

7 30.43%
  • The boys I offed seemed more interested in giving me a good time

10 43.48%
  • I had fewer duds when offing a boy

1 4.35%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Changes in Bangkok's Go-Go Bars

Liked

Re: The Changes in Bangkok's Go-Go Bars

Quote Originally Posted by goji View Post
    I have read reports of fully naked boys in some gogo bars. No idea if that was common, rare or the exception, but it would certainly add to the appeal.
    The first bar I visited in Phuket in 2001 was Super boys. All the guys on the floor were naked and sporting erections. They were swinging from the poles like monkeys!

One guy sat with me pointed at himself and said "me beer" still no idea to this day if he wanted a beer or was introducing himself as Beer! Naturally he was swiftly bought a beer!
    Buffalo me die! Send Money!

2. 2 Users gave Like to post:

goji (March 9th, 2017), Up2U (March 16th, 2017)

Liked

It was 1988 when I startet to spend my holidays in Thailand. And it was great. But now, whenever I mention that the bars were WAY more fun 25 years ago, people keep telling me that I was 25 years younger back then!

Which is absolutely true of course. You are more impressionable when you are young and visit a new place for the first time. Everything is striking and overwhelming when it's new for you.

But not only me grew older. The bars and their staff changed as well. Back then, the boys were playful and full of energy. They were even dancing on stage! And they did everything to get an off.

4. 3 Users gave Like to post:

christianpfc (March 9th, 2017), fountainhall (March 8th, 2017), TaoR (March 8th, 2017)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

1997 was even before Sunee bars. BBB was there across from LCR. The baht had a great exchange rate of 42.
    Wish I had started vacationing there even earlier.

6. User who gave Like to post:

stkyricesf (April 6th, 2017)

Liked

I don't know why but I keep thinking that someplace on the internet is a forum where Thai guys, Thai money boys, gogo boys, and such all share their memories of how good the good ol' days were....

They probably complain about how old all the customers are today and how cheap they are. Where they trade stories about how many water buffalo's they could score in a month...

Just imagine the sex tales they could tell. I am sure some could tell tales that would make even Latin blush....

8. 3 Users gave Like to post:

christianpfc (March 9th, 2017), fountainhall (March 8th, 2017), Surfcrest (March 8th, 2017)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by dab69 View Post
    1997 was even before Sunee bars. BBB was there across from LCR. The baht had a great exchange rate of 42.
    Wish I had started vacationing there even earlier.
    As a matter of history, the Baht was fixed to the US$ at $1 = Bt. 25 from 1984 until July 2 1997 when the Asian Economic Crisis exploded starting in Thailand. On that day the Thai government gave up all efforts to maintain the rate and it immediately crashed to 30. In then continued to slide downhill till it reached around 55 in January 1998. So before July 1997 you'd have been a lot worse off exchange-wise! On the other hand, in the years 2001 - 2003 you'd have been better off.

USD_Bt_Historical.png

10. 3 Users gave Like to post:

TaoR (March 8th, 2017), Up2U (March 16th, 2017), werner (March 9th, 2017)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by neddy3 View Post
    Isn't the answer all of the above choices?
    Clearly not, given the responses so far. I accept that the list of answers is the arbitrary choice of the OP (in this case me!) and none of us know how accurate the results of any such poll really are - after all we have no idea who is actually voting. It has to be based on a degree of trust. But already we can see that two issues are slightly ahead - the bars were more fun and the shows were much more interesting/sexy. I honestly don't believe this is a result of rosy-tinted spectacles. I also don't think it's a result of a less free gay atmosphere in the rest of the world. That would have been far more true of the early 1980s than the late 1990s.

Quote Originally Posted by TaoR View Post
    I don't know why but I keep thinking that someplace on the internet is a forum where Thai guys, Thai money boys, gogo boys, and such all share their memories of how good the good ol' days were....Just imagine the sex tales they could tell. I am sure some could tell tales that would make even Latin blush....
    I'm sure you and I appear in those stories somewhere!!

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by TaoR View Post
    Just imagine the sex tales they could tell. I am sure some could tell tales that would make even Latin blush....
    My regular partners in Pattaya over the years have all been veterans of the Sunee Plaza bar scene. I've heard lots of stories about their encounters with farang customers and believe it or not, they tell me that most boys haven't had any problems of note.

The talk is based around how much the customer pays and whether or not he was a nice guy. That seems to be it.

I'm sure they've got more interesting things to talk about.

But if you ask, you'll hear some interesting stories.

13. 3 Users gave Like to post:

arsenal (March 8th, 2017), christianpfc (March 9th, 2017), TaoR (March 8th, 2017)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by a447 View Post
    But if you ask, you'll hear some interesting stories.
    Back then I occasionally heard tales of boys who had an aversion to Japanese customers - not because they were not polite but because they could not understand the tipping system and often undertipped.

Banned
    Liked

"Smartphones didn't exist back then" would be my answer. There were no alternatives to the bars

16. User who gave Like to post:

christianpfc (March 9th, 2017)

Liked

a447 wrote:
    "The talk is based around how much the customer pays and whether or not he was a nice guy. That seems to be it."

Exactly. Well said that man.

18. User who gave Like to post:

TaoR (March 8th, 2017)