This was posted on trip adviser this morning
https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/ShowT..._Province.html

today, 4:34

Hi Thailand experts.
Thanks in advance for any advice on this. In early planning stages ofThailand/Cambodia trip for Nov, and TA has been an amazing help. Was hoping to do usual first-time itinerary of Bangkok/C Mai/popular island (with this part at beginning for 3/4 nights), but we might be restricted to 10 nights in Thailand, so might have to drop island part. As Pattaya is so close to Bangkok, and has direct flights to C Mai, I was thinking it’d be good alternative for 3 nights (Koh Samet wouldn't work, as couldn't face the 2.5-hour trek after long flights to Bangkok, and the flights from Pattaya to C Mai are very early in morning so need to be based there) – just book nice hotel with pool, but we’d like good nightlife.
We’ve seen the ‘Ladyboys’ TV show a zillion times, and though it shows the sleazy side, it also makes the city look like serious fun, and we want to see the Tiffany's show. However, just doing quick check of the gay scene there, every single bar in all three locations (Boyztown, Jomtien and Sunnee Plaza) seems to be one of these ‘host’ bars, where you’re hassled to buy more than a drink. Is that right? We have no problem with these bars at all, but we wouldn't be the clientele they're looking for. Surely there must be a few casual gay bars, no?
If anyone has been there, or heard from someone who’s been on scene there, or even passed by the bars there to get overall idea, I’d be grateful for any advice. We’re an easygoing couple in mid 30s/mid 40s. We’re going to fill rest of the trip with as much sightseeing as possible, but for these few ‘relaxing days’ we’d like to be able to experience the scene in Thailand, as in having a few drinks in fun bars playing cheesy music/drag shows, but don’t want to be hassled constantly, or surrounded by old men who are looking to be hassled.
Be great to get advice, so can knock Pattaya off my mind if it is truely like this. If it is all hassle, I’ll aim to add more days to trip and fly intoPhuket at start for 4/5 days (where there seems to be a mix of casual and host bars).
Thanks again.