List of forums
Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Where to buy art work in Pattaya?

Liked

Re: Where to buy art work in Pattaya?

I would like to dedicate this clip to Liam, providing my artwork and my voice with a cover of Blowin' in the wind.

[youtube:1z4gwr8p]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHpnNPtrfbg[/youtube:1z4gwr8p]

Liked

Sacr├й bleu! After almost three years this post, like the Phoenix, rises from the dead.

What is even more amazing is that two weeks ago while visiting a friend staying at the Tarntawan I met a guy selling art works. He had a few works by Alann in his collection that he said were original. A few were very nice but the price he was expecting was too high for me to consider. He added that Alann is no longer in Thailand and these were old works that he did both in India and Thailand. He added that his digital works and those more recently done in England are cheaper. But I'm not really collecting art work any longer.

R. I. P. Liam

Liked

Art work in Pattaya? I've only just stopped laughing.
    "If you think you understood what I said you weren't listening" - Alan Greenspan

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Sooty
    Then you never knew Liam's Art gallery, who had an outstanding high quality selection of artwork from China, Europe, and Thailand. It's exactly attiitudes or ignorance about good galleries like yours, and the crisis, that killed his gallery.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Rene
    Sacr├й bleu! After almost three years this post, like the Phoenix, rises from the dead.

What is even more amazing is that two weeks ago while visiting a friend staying at the Tarntawan I met a guy selling art works. He had a few works by Alann in his collection that he said were original. A few were very nice but the price he was expecting was too high for me to consider. He added that Alann is no longer in Thailand and these were old works that he did both in India and Thailand. He added that his digital works and those more recently done in England are cheaper. But I'm not really collecting art work any longer.
    I am baffled, and I don't know which works that guy was taling about. Where is that Tantawan town? Who is dat seller?
    I am now in Ecuador.

Quote Originally Posted by alann
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooty
    Then you never knew Liam's Art gallery, who had an outstanding high quality selection of artwork from China, Europe, and Thailand. It's exactly attiitudes or ignorance about good galleries like yours, and the crisis, that killed his gallery.
    Maybe Sooty has attitude and ignorance, but from his posts I doubt it.

On the other hand it could be arrogance on your part that you believe that anything other than a very small minority in Pattaya would be interested in purchasing fine art, and that there could ever be sufficient interest to maintain an art Gallery as a viable business rather than as a hobby.

Further, you might even agree that only a very small minority of that very small minority have any real knowledge or appreciation of fine art - a great many just buying from "snob value" and hardly able to tell worthwhile artwork from the pattern made by bird shit on the bottom of a cage.

:occasion9:

Liked

Well, Scotsman, you may have a point. I am only trying to point out by mentioning 'ignorance', that lots of people are used to seeing copy art in the myriad of 'galleries'in Pattaya, that cater to the charter tourist. Bangkok had a number of professional galleries, of which some went out of business too, 'because Thai genuine artists don't sell one painting', Liam wrtote to me 2 years ago, and added that Pattaya was a desert for art.

Alan's Opium gallery closed down last year in Pattaya, and I know quite a few expat painters from England in Pattaya who complained about the lack of venues to exhibit their work; Alan and Liam were a shimmering hope to them. So, Liam and Alan (not me) tried to force the door wide open for visitors to see that indeed visitors could buy unique and valueble art, rather than a Van Gogh copy...

I never had the slightest illusion that the gay minority that visits Pattaya had any more real interest in art than the mainstream straight holiday makers.

if you want to see a bit of fine art pop down to the colonial bar and take a buthers at the picture of bono on the wall ...
    pure class :bis:

Quote Originally Posted by brithai
    if you want to see a bit of fine art pop down to the colonial bar and take a buthers at the picture of bono on the wall ...
    pure class :bis:
    Can I find a Wild Colonial Boy in there?

:alc:

Liked

Back in Europe now after 1 year of South America.
    I post here a work I made in 1990, a year after I visited Brazil for the first time.
    Attached Images Attached Images