Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 35 Danes died in Thailand last year

35 Danes died in Thailand last year

35 Danes died in Thailand last year

Unofficial annual balance from the Danish Embassy in Bangkok has revealed that 35 Danes have lost their lives in Thailand in 2006.

Most of the fatalities are rather undramatic, but from the more dramatic scenes one killing is registered, which took place in December on the Island of Koh Samui.

The 34-year-old Dane John Terry Petersen was shot down and killed immediately in what looked like an execution. The police still held one suspect in custody and so far the motive is unknown. The case has not been bound for trial yet.

The roads of Thailand have also contributed to the statistics with five fatal accidents – all of them involving motorcycles.

"We always try to encourage people to remember to be adequately insured as well as to be really careful in the traffic, because the driving habits are so different from the Danish ones," scandasia.com quoted the Danish ambassador to Thailand H. E. Michael Sternberg as saying.

According to the statistics, most of the Danes have died from a heart attack or simply a natural course. More accurate the number is 29. The oldest one became 91 years of age.

"Many Danes are living permanently in Thailand, so the number is in that sense not surprisingly," Mr. Sternberg explains and continues.

"At the first glance, the number of 35 may look high. But if you consider that up to 120,000 Danes have been in Thailand during 2006, the figure of 35 fatalities and the course of death actually just follows the standard distribution of a larger Danish city within a year," the Danish ambassador added.

Liked
    Thanks, Tom. I've been delayed in publishing my future best seller (titled "Dead and Great Danes in Thailand) but I didn't have the casualty figures. My life is now complete.

Liked: 1
    Government travel advisories always warn their citizens of terrorism and other violent crime, yet fail to mention that those citizens die in far greater numbers for much more mundane reasons, often 'self-inflicted' to varying extents.

Awareness ...

Quote Originally Posted by Hmmm
    Government travel advisories always warn their citizens of terrorism and other violent crime, yet fail to mention that those citizens die in far greater numbers for much more mundane reasons, often 'self-inflicted' to varying extents.
    Thanks. That's exactly what I've had in mind while posting this topic. ..

Forum's veteran
    Liked

it''s been a long time lunch subject of mine

how many Danes died today ?.

I think the cause of death of all these unfortunate Danes probably corresponds with every other ex-pat nationality..motorcycle accidents ( you wouldn't catch me dead on one of those crazy machines )..and old age.

Likewise I expect to be found one day slumped over a dining table..glass of red clutched in my hand and a look of bliss on my face.

( actually I lie..I did ride on the back of a motorcycle a few months ago as the Thai lad I was with forced me to..I howled all the way)
    I'm only a light drinker. When it's daylight I drink.

I suppose,

It begs the question..........who cares?
    How many of any nationality died in Thailand whenever......without wishing to sound callous, I again have to say...Who cares????

Liked

Re: Awareness ...

Quote Originally Posted by ttom
    Thanks for the posting ttom. It's informative and worthwhile.

And contrary to what some may think, every post doesn't have to be of interest to every board member. Aussieal and Bob wonder 'who cares'.....well the answer is: probably many, and many of whom who would not necessarily feel it important to inform the board membership that fact.

Liked
    I don't have a problem with the post and I was being a bit silly with my response. I wasn't intending to express that I didn't care about people dying, it just struck me as being somewhat irrelevant to keep track of how many people of whatever nationality were dying in Thailand. Anybody interested in knowing how many people from Lichtenstein died in LOS last year?

(again, meant with light-hearted humor, let's lighten up a bit).

Liked
    Quote Originally Posted by ttom
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob
    I don't have a problem with the post and I was being a bit silly with my response. I wasn't intending to express that I didn't care about people dying, it just struck me as being somewhat irrelevant to keep track of how many people of whatever nationality were dying in Thailand. Anybody interested in knowing how many people from Lichtenstein died in LOS last year?

(again, meant with light-hearted humor, let's lighten up a bit).
    Well, once again you've missed ttom's point. As he states clearly, the post was concerning the manners in which people die, not necessarily their nationality.

Be light-hearted, even silly (as you say) in your posts, if you wish. But to do so and have it taken in that vein, the wording will need to be less akin to sarcasm.

Liked
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob
    Anybody interested in knowing how many people from Lichtenstein died in LOS last year?
    Yes!
    And from Andorra, San Marino and the Vatican. Especially how many from the Vatican perished in Pattaya.