Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you stock up on?

Re: What do you stock up on?

Quote Originally Posted by wx40afp
    I must use the dentist again however,im certainly not paying a $85 consultation fee plus $99 per filling,so the dentist is on my list .
    Try the dentist virtually directly opposite Royal Garden Plaza on 2nd Road. Have been there three times. They are very good for fillings, crowns etc and have never had a problem with their work.
    Last filling cost me 780 Baht. (18 months ago)
    Previously crown cost me 1700 Baht (including preliminary treatment). (3 years ago)
    Place is very popular with Farangs and you may need to book appointment which you usually get within 2-3 days, (although they will treat emergencies).

As for stocking up -- Thai sauces, curry mixes, marinades, noodles and the like (all about a tenth of the price they are back home). "Designer" label T shirts and other clothing (appreciate they are copies !!!).

Similar Threads:

Liked
    This time I'm coming for 3 months therefore I am bringing some extras. I'm hope to be staying in the same apartment I had the last time. It's 9000 bhat/month for a very large, furnished room, kitchen, air and cross ventilation near Sunni.

Extras I will be bringing:
    2 quality towels (they don't come with the room)
    2 extra sheets ( the bed is kingsize with sheets but, after canoodling, I like to sleep wraped in my own sheet.)
    Toothbrushes - my dentist kindly give me a bundle of complimentary toothbrushes to give out.
    Several locks
    Several computer disks with all my files on them to use in the internet shops.
    A set of written prescriptions for my medications in case I run out or they get lost.
    A touristy picture book of my home city ... a great conversation starter with visitors.
    Gifts of real Levis, chocolate, cologne, several cheap souvineer T-shirt from my city, a stock of maple leaf pens and pins.

Budgets & Thailand dont work for me. More i take more i spend.

Those smiles just fish it out of my wallet lol

Quote Originally Posted by Doug
    This time I'm coming for 3 months therefore I am bringing some extras.

A set of written prescriptions for my medications in case I run out or they get lost.
    Often on these forums posters mention their ' prescribed medications'.

Is it just me that is surprised that such a large percentage of visitors to Thailand appear to be on prescribed medications of one sort or another?

For myself the only thing I ever need is the occasional paracetamol for a headache, so maybe I am one of the lucky ones.

I would be interesting, if it was not getting to personal, to know the range of ailments that some of you guys suffer and whether you put this down to your pace of life back in your own countries.

essentials??

May I ask wx40afp what on earth do you need padlocks and glue for? As I am leaving for Bangkok tomorrow, is there something important I am missing? I never take glue and padlocks! You have me worried.

Liked
    Doug: Where are you finding long-term rentals in this kind of price range? I'll be coming over for long-term stay soon.

wx40afp: There's a really good shoe store on the basement level of TukCom (Pattaya). I like to buy a few pairs there to take back. Nice designs, mai pang. I used to bring a bottle or two of Maggi seasoning back but I'm found a local source for that now.

Dboy

have you been sniffing glue again ?

take back an arm full of genuine Rolex watches that you can get at any street stall..they always impress friends as gifts. Likewise a Louis Vuitton bag is a good look even in cattle class if you can look snooty enough which you will be after snorting a can of fly spray especially if you are going to fill it full of padlocks and deodorant..I would deliberately let that fall to the floor and all the contents roll out...that should get tongues wagging.

absurd luggage

Yes, wag wag wag, Glue and padlocks???? It almost makes sense in a beautifully abstract way, but the shear weight. It would break any delicate Louis's arm off trying to do the glue and padlock run! Please my curiosity, the glue as Pearl has suggested has it's values, but on a need to know basis, what the fcuk are the padlocks for? What size are they? Is their a padlock shortage somewhere? Is it the beginning of the end.
    Should I be stocking up on shower nozzles and bars of glycerine? Is this the new black?

Going & Coming

Going:

I've always put them in checked luggage, in zip-lock bags, but still don't like carrying any more liquids then necessary, especially with new BS going on.
    I take a (Butterfly-size) bag of toothbrushes--Then I wind up spending most of the time with one num and have to tote them back home--But two...or five...if I'm lucky--But I put together most of the excess stuff and tell the (Last) num to take what he wants. Some num take it all, some, nitnoy (No double entendre-intended...much.)

Shoes that need repair. Take to the shack on Road Two, 1st Soi south of South Road near Pattaya Shoe--About a tenth of cost at home. (Heels, no problem but may have trouble finding large-size half-soles.)

Bring home:

Sports shorts (To wear around the house.): There's a couple places on Road Two that usually have a bin-full on the sidewalk @ 40 baht-or-less. I get as many as I can pack: my friends like them too. One year I found Bananas-in-Pajamas shorts. I gave a pair to one (Straight) friend as a Christmas-party-white-elephant\Joke-grab-bag gift and the others said, "Hey! Where's mine?" and they were serious!

Kid's stuff: like the tee-shirts with trapunto dinosaurs. Found them half-the-price, at a street-stall on Silom Road, as at the Made-in-Thailand store in R.G. mall (Thai knock off their own stuff, too.) but they needed ironing: like Pearl! Just the same, I didn't haggle, like Pearl.

Socks and cotton briefs, solid colors without designs: harder to find. There's a lady spreads a blanket in front of Lumpinni, near Pinnacle, I look for; so old she looks like--Think, a younger Pearl--about ready to bPAI Boon (I hope she doesn't before I get back.) The stuff wears like iron.

Tu-Nize (Brand) Bergamot Hair Lotion w\Balsam. Have to scrounge the Mini-Marts for it--And buy out the stock when I find it: made the mistake of giving it to friends, they like it too.

Thai bar-soaps. Especially, the one with parrots on the wrapper; if I can find it.

Little (About pint-size) aluminum ice buckets in Thai designs. You can get them at the house wear store on Road Two, near Boat Restaurant. They have several sizes but, for some reason, my friends love the little ones. The people who work\own the store have always been very nice, and always manage to find the right box. The ice-buckets take practically no room in your luggage if you fill them with socks & underwear. They have other Thai things, you might not think of, that make nice gifts.
    If a wet horng nam floor bothers you--And if staying an extended time, go there when you first arrive and get a squeegee for the bathroom. Use it yourself, leave it where num can see it and, I find, they will use it.

Shoes--And the colored (Where can you find red, turkeykoi, orange & lime-green at home?), & black, moccasins they have at the (Same) shack near Pattaya Shoe.

I always want to bring back a bag of barbecued Beatles- :twisted: -So I can put them out with the party peanuts--but haven't the nerve. :angel7:

Liked

Cedric

I prefer to use my own lock on the rented motorcycle rather than the one provided by the vendor. Also many apartment have provision for a lock to be used on the door. At the beach, I often lock my knapsack to the chair to, at least, slow down any would be kamoy.