Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: bangkok-beijing

Quote Originally Posted by Scott123
    dup
    Scott -- great feedback about the 'serviced apartments!' On the other hand, the hotels I've stayed in were not much better looking inside (Great Wall Sheraton, Shangrila, China World, Traders and New Otani). The Sheraton and Shangrila were both shockingly dusty for that class of hotel, but, helas, the dust gets everwhere in winter and spring!

Fortunately (or unfortunately) I did not require a hotel when working in Bejing last year, as I had a corporate flat, but anyone just visiting will need a to find somewhere where they could bring a friend back if the need arises. I did bring someone back to the Shangrila years ago, but he was a western guy, and thus went unnoticed.

Here is a list of serviced apartments that I found -- the Ascott is near my old office, and the suites are very nice, but it is the other end of the spectrum in terms of budget:

http://beijing.biz-stay.com/

You are right about the scams -- or, in daily life, hassles. Taxis are a chore even if you do speak Mandarin, and will usually pretend that they don't know where they are going -- wasting your precious time for 1-2 additional RMB in their pockets. I ended up having to give street by street directions when going to and from work (although I had to do this in Bangkok as well, to get drivers to avoid traffic and 5 minute red lights, and use the small sois...).

btw, the air con in many places are not cool at all in Beijing. Most taxi do not turn on air con. Department stores and restaurants have air con, but not cool enough. If you travel to Beijing in summer, and the tour bus....what can I say. So, please be prepared for the sweaty/sticky situation in Beijing during summer. :bounce: